Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I got a definite copy n paste jobby but I was impressed so replied. Best one I've got so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Larianne wrote: »
    I got a definite copy n paste jobby but I was impressed so replied. Best one I've got so far.

Thank You:D:D:D

Thank You:D:D:D

You better reply! :cool:

oh ****, forgot to send my photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

gatecrash wrote: »
    So, if I'm lucky enough to be online, at the same time as someone who matches my 'criteria', and lucky enough to get a reply then it might develop.

Sure but then you if chat too long you're likely to stop getting responses, or if you ask to meet too quickly you'll stop getting responses. So you again have to be lucky and get that right because there's definitely no way tell beforehand. That's before you even start thinking about the odds of really getting along and clicking with someone.

I'm just your typical nerd so I often have to write a big old question mark next to human behaviour. You'd think people would be more interested in their long term compatibility with people instead of whether they're getting things exactly right according to whatever rules they made up.

Social networking is a nice way to meet people but it does seem to encourage a certain type of behaviour everyone agrees they don't want (if you ask them): Guys end up discovering the best approach is really to contact as many women as possible and hope for luck (because each individual woman is working of a fairly strict set of rules nobody can know in advance) though then they become frustrated and disheartened through lack of success. Women end up getting overwhelmed with lots of mail, much of it substandard because it's not really in anyone's interest to spend a lot of time on each individual mail.

Men end up leaving because they're tired of sending lots of mails and getting no response. Women end up leaving because they get so much mail they can't respond (and don't want to for much of it anyway).

I just like getting to know people. I'm not good at setting goals for things I want from them so I don't pursue them in that way. If I share an interest with someone I'll happily discuss it with them and if I enjoy it I'll keep talking to them and see how things go. I admit meeting people makes me nervous and I wouldn't be terribly social anyway. Time was the internet was just for people like that! Where do those people go now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

sharper wrote: »
    I just like getting to know people. I'm not good at setting goals for things I want from them so I don't pursue them in that way. If I share an interest with someone I'll happily discuss it with them and if I enjoy it I'll keep talking to them and see how things go. I admit meeting people makes me nervous and I wouldn't be terribly social anyway. Time was the internet was just for people like that! Where do those people go now?

Boards :pac:

• Advertisement

Explains a lot! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Go on...... Copy it!! Paste it to a P.M. Send it to me. You REALLY want to!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

Maybe the text never sent??? These things happen?

See even if it didn't i'm a firm believer that if someone likes you they'll contact you even if it's not their "turn" (can't think of a better way of putting that).

I've discovered a duvet, cuppa tea and a movie are the path to happiness.....I'm becoming a spinster

I thought boards was where everyone's Ma went to get action!

I've discovered a duvet, cuppa tea and a movie are the path to happiness.....I'm becoming a spinster

Being happy under your own steam is a fine thing just remember to focus more on people after your fifth cat :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

See even if it didn't i'm a firm believer that if someone likes you they'll contact you even if it's not their "turn" (can't think of a better way of putting that).

I kinda agree :)

Im genrally not a texty type person... Ive been making an effort...
    I always reply with in 5 mins because im just that way :pac:...

How ever I'll gladily spend some time sending an email I prefer it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

I'm chatting to someone on POF and we just realised we were born on the same date and same year.......goosebumpy....:)

looky loo wrote: »
    I'm chatting to someone on POF and we just realised we were born on the same date and same year.......goosebumpy....:)

You don't by any chance look alike too...? :pac::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

You don't by any chance look alike too...? :pac::eek:

wheres the slap playfully button?....:D

looky loo wrote: »
    wheres the slap playfully button?....:D

It's the one with the little picture of the thumb :P

I kinda agree :)

Im genrally not a texty type person... Ive been making an effort...
    I always reply with in 5 mins because im just that way :pac:...

How ever I'll gladily spend some time sending an email I prefer it...

I'm with you on that, not mad about texting but if I really like someone it doesn't seem like such a chore. I'd be a quick replier too, drives me mental when a guy takes forever to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I'm with you on that, not mad about texting but if I really like someone it doesn't seem like such a chore. I'd be a quick replier too, drives me mental when a guy takes forever to reply.

I've been waiting since lunch time today for a reply! I think it's fizzling out by text. Nothing says not interested like a slow texter backer. Although that isn't always the case i just assume it is.

I've been waiting since lunch time today for a reply! I think it's fizzling out by text. Nothing says not interested like a slow texter backer. Although that isn't always the case i just assume it is.

That ones tricky to figure out, i think sometimes people think that it seems more aloof to leave it a while, same principal as treat em mean keep em keen i guess? and unfortunately like you said sometimes it's an effort to let it fizzle.....or she could have no credit. Either way if they regularly take an age to text back i like you take it as disinterest.

I hope she texts you back tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

and so you should :D:P:pac:

nah some times i just dont want to text so I dont... or what ever... just depends on my mood tho you know if there person is fun then i will text a lot more then useual...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well have my lunch date today. Only problem is we never swapped numbers so have no way of contacting each other if anything happens! I know - silly me. Ah well just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

miaowsky wrote: »
    Can you imagine if we'd all dated the same guy!? That's kinda funny actually. My friend reckons I should txt him to see what the story is but I think that's a bit much. While yes it may answer a few questions...I'd rather not be thought a psycho!

i also ran the risk of looking like a psycho but i confronted him..feck that :P
    he had been dead keen and then all of a sudden...he wasnt
    its even gotten to the point where i think he's regretted it, as he's still mailing me on pof and asked me the other day if id fancy doing lunch again sometime :confused:
    men!!!

Dovies wrote: »
    Well have my lunch date today. Only problem is we never swapped numbers so have no way of contacting each other if anything happens! I know - silly me. Ah well just have to wait and see.

i wouldn't worry about the number :) but good luck with the date today :D

liz2 wrote: »
    i also ran the risk of looking like a psycho but i confronted him..feck that :P
    he had been dead keen and then all of a sudden...he wasnt
    its even gotten to the point where i think he's regretted it, as he's still mailing me on pof and asked me the other day if id fancy doing lunch again sometime :confused:
    men!!!

Tell him to sling his hook!!

Dovies wrote: »
    Tell him to sling his hook!!

im actually playing it really cool :D
    besides i have another date tomorrow evening ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

trawled through 40 pages of matchs on pof last night, urgh, i prefer oc i reckon, id say 90% of the girls listed were using text speak!

What sort of radius would you select? Is it worth having it any higher than 50 miles really?!

Rossin wrote: »
    trawled through 40 pages of matchs on pof last night, urgh, i prefer oc i reckon, id say 90% of the girls listed were using text speak!

What sort of radius would you select? Is it worth having it any higher than 50 miles really?!

50 miles is my limit and even thats too far I think. Although it depends on what you are looking for too. If you are looking for a relationship then a little closer to home is better IMO. Easier to meet up etc.

Yeah sounds about right, ill leave it at 50 so, it just about covers Dublin for me

If you set your profile to hidden on pof is there anyone that can see it?

Like if you visit a page will that person see your profile?

Or is it only people who you message will see it?

edit: and if you see someone you know can you hide them from seeing your profile :D

im getting there, thanks for the help :)

Rossin wrote: »
    If you set your profile to hidden on pof is there anyone that can see it?

Like if you visit a page will that person see your profile?

Or is it only people who you message will see it?

edit: and if you see someone you know can you hide them from seeing your profile :D

im getting there, thanks for the help :)

When you hide your profile, you won't show up on any searches but you can mail people and they will be able to reply.. Also, you won't show up on their profile as you having viewed them..you can change that on your mail settings too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gudwan

I wouldn't be against the idea of dating sites. I think attitudes are changing towards them, in that you used to be a loser and desperate if you used them, considered incapable of normal interaction with people and that only people you'd never want to meet would be on these sites.

Now normal, amiable, sociable people are these sites, the reason being that at some particular time in their life they are very busy with work and don't have all the time in the world for clubbing/pubbing in order to meet people. And the people you meet there are often not looking for relationships, but rather one night stands.

At least on dating sites, people know what they want. That said, my sister went on a date with someone she met on a dating site and it turned out he only had one ear...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement