Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Is internet dating a bad idea if you've never been on a date, never ever..

I think it could be a good option, as it would get you used to talking to strangers, chatting up strangers etc. And if you meet up with anyone, it is not so embarrasing if it goes really badly, or you get "rejected", as you will probably never see them again so don't have to be reminded of it all the time.

I never went out with anyone I didn't previously know in real life, so I was very nervous about it at first (and I still don't know if online dating is for me) but it is giving me a bit of experience at dating and sussing people out.

One thing though, don't get put off if you don't get replies from a lot of people, as this is normal, and some people can be a bit rude online.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Pfffttt,sensible schmensible!

When was the last time you threw caution to the wind Larri?

I say go for it,certainly nothing to lose anyway.

OOoh good point! (last time probably going to the Gentlemen's Club beers! :pac: ) Screw it!

I'll blame yous all if I end up in a bin! :pac:
    visual wrote: »
    Moderator ! Indirectly has answered my question.

What was the questions?? To lazy to scroll.. :pac:
    Xios wrote: »
    I'm a sad panda now.

Tis the second time that the girl i've been chatting too, and getting on great with started dating someone before i had a chance :(
    The first one was kinda my fault cause we both had repeat exams and we decided to delay our coffee, but i had asked the second one out only after a couple days, and she deleted her account :(
    Still chatting to the first one, and the second one was really nice about it, but i guess that's a good thing. Have one more option and still seeking more.

Ah that's crap but at least they were upfront about it.
    gatecrash wrote: »
    Go for it lari...

BUT NOT BEFORE YOU PM ME THIS MESSAGE!!

Purely for research purposes, obviously!! And not to copy. Nope. Not at all.:D

Okay, I'll send it on. You'll probably think it's weird. ha
    Lon Dubh wrote: »
    I
    One thing though, don't get put off if you don't get replies from a lot of people, as this is normal, and some people can be a bit rude online.

Theeeee most important advice when starting out on online dating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Larianne wrote: »
    OOoh good point! (last time probably going to the Gentlemen's Club beers! :pac: ) Screw it!

I'll blame yous all if I end up in a bin! :pac:

Corpses cant place blame Lari.

:cool:

Corpses cant place blame Lari.

:cool:

I'll leave a note, just in case..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Dear World

If I should turn up in a bin,please log onto www.boards.ie and hunt down Otis Driftwood and Gatecrash,those bastards sent me to my doom.

Regretfully,
    Larianne.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Fittle wrote: »
    I've read loads of this thread and I have to say that all the men here sound like guys I'd like to meet on POF - you all come across really cool, funny etc etc
    So why don't any of you seem like this on POF?????

We are the same, but we just get ignored. I know I have been anyway!

Dear World

If I should turn up in a bin, please log onto www.boards.ie and hunt down Otis Driftwood and Gatecrash, those bastards sent me to my doom.

Regretfully,
    Larianne.

Might have date tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

visual wrote: »
    If this thread was in different section I agree but it's not.

Very same thread in ladies lounge ( first posting on this thread) and I doubt it's over shadowed with very vocal guys but as I've not visited it I dont know.
    Men and women discussing their issues and confusion only amongst themselves can only go so far. I reckon the world (and dating!) would be better off if everyone was able to be relaxed and honest about who they are and what they want.

Sure it'll attract some people looking for some validation (or someone to prove them wrong) but that's life. If you don't take on the right attitude then an unsuccessful search for meaningful people in your life can take a heavy toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Dear World

If I should turn up in a bin, please log onto www.boards.ie and hunt down Otis Driftwood and Gatecrash, those bastards sent me to my doom.

Regretfully,
    Larianne.

Might have date tomorrow

NA-Ah!!

I was playing football your honour, it must've been the phantom poster who was using my login!!

Dear World

Regretfully,
    Larianne.

Might have date tomorrow

Don't worry, we will say at your funeral oration that you took one for the team :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

I'm taking a break guys, just couldn't get back into it, pof left me on a lovely note, the last mail i looked at "HI pics inside" "I'm horny....cue penis photo"

I suppose it's only right I end as I started

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

I'm taking a break guys, just couldn't get back into it, pof left me on a lovely note, the last mail i looked at "HI pics inside" "I'm horny....cue penis photo"

Haha, I got a message like that earlier....nutters!

I also got another with "Saw your profile and admired your work ethics" ummmm yes...that's one hell of an opener! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Hmm is anyone else talkin to a girl and then she just doesn't write back? It's happened me twice now. Thankfully I'm getting a good few replies or I'd be thinkin there's something wrong with me.

I don't know if they're just not interested or I'm saying something really offputting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

sharper wrote: »
    Men and women discussing their issues and confusion only amongst themselves can only go so far. I reckon the world (and dating!) would be better off if everyone was able to be relaxed and honest about who they are and what they want.

Sure it'll attract some people looking for some validation (or someone to prove them wrong) but that's life. If you don't take on the right attitude then an unsuccessful search for meaningful people in your life can take a heavy toll.

Good advice on attitude and can be applied to all areas of ones life.
    Quote from A Few Good Men " you can't handle the truth" is probably more relevant as on-line as in real life you can only glimpse the true person through the cracks to discover real person and intent. While it would make life interesting its unlikely to ever happen. However its experience that guides us through life.

probably my naivety and lack of experience of posting in gentleman's forum did expect so much input from the opposite sex

Hmm is anyone else talkin to a girl and then she just doesn't write back? It's happened me twice now. Thankfully I'm getting a good few replies or I'd be thinkin there's something wrong with me.

I don't know if they're just not interested or I'm saying something really offputting.

This seems to happen all the time, even with "normal" conversations. So unless you said something like "I'm horney" (which unfortunately some people will send in messages) then it was probably nothing you said or did. They probably just ended up chatting to someone they were more interested in or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

The ratio men/women. Is likely 30/1 and much higher on some sites
    So while you write your message press send and wait for a reply she mostly looking through a load of mails and not got time to come back to you. it's nothing personal just odd stacked against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

Dovies wrote: »
    No not meeting the guy from yesterday again - really not my type and lives too far away. Had this odd way of talking to me - head down and looking up at me - bit like a 2 year old in hiding! lol

god, lol.. well lets hope the guy tonight is more promising ;)
    my date went quite well last night..so we've planned to meet again :D

so there ya go..it can work if you've only been chatting for a little while :)
    i usually waited for a few weeks, but this time i met someone after 5 days!

liz2 wrote: »
    god, lol.. well lets hope the guy tonight is more promising ;)
    my date went quite well last night..so we've planned to meet again :D

so there ya go..it can work if you've only been chatting for a little while :)
    i usually waited for a few weeks, but this time i met someone after 5 days!

Any dates i've had that have been successful and have resulted in follow on or even in seeing someone for a while afterwards were always 'quick' dates, as in first contact to meet up usually less than a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

So, anyways.....anyone with any successes? apart from Dovies or are you all going on dates with her?? :pac:

Good luck Liz2 on your date.

Right so, the copy and paste dude actually seems like a guy I wouldn't mind meeting up with. Ooh decisions!! :o He's already mailed me his number. I'm half thinking feck it, just meet up after exchanging two mails but the sensible me is saying wait a while. :cool:

thanks..my date went well!
    well, like i said in my last post, this guy mailed me his number after a few messages the first day and i was like, emm i dunno, a bit too soon?..but we seemed to hit it off, so i took the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Various reasons.
    Lose interest in the conversation
    Were only chatting to be polite as you get lambasted for not!
    Chatting to a few people, met one and went offline

They are just for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Hmm is anyone else talkin to a girl and then she just doesn't write back?
    Yep. People get distracted, busy, bored etc and just stop writing back they can't think of anything to say or just aren't enjoying it.

When people converse in person they're forced to think about what to say next and how to keep the conversation flowing because most people are horribly embarrassed and awkward when there's silence.

Online it's totally different. Gaps are expected and the conversation can end at any time without anyone feeling awkward. If two people share a strong interest in something (or each other!) then the conversation will still flow because they're both having a blast. If one of them is still in "search mode" and just responding politely to see where things go then the other person has the enormous task of keeping the whole conversation going and trying to be interesting/funny/attractive enough to merit continued response.

Shorter answer: Don't take it personally, don't take it as rejection. Getting any response at all is beating the odds and it just not working out is a fair outcome.

You might say "But couldn't she say she wasn't going to answer anymore?". That never ends well for anyone. Some guys will respond angrily and start hurling insults, others will start pleading for another chance and the vaguely normal ones will say "Ok it was nice to chat with you, good luck!". Only problem is you can't tell the normal/stable ones from the not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

gatecrash wrote: »
    Any dates i've had that have been successful and have resulted in follow on or even in seeing someone for a while afterwards were always 'quick' dates, as in first contact to meet up usually less than a week

But on the other hand...!

A few months ago, I was emailing back and forth with a guy daily for about a month. The sparks were flying in the emails but when we met for the first time the date was just grand rather than great. But because we had been getting on so well online, I chased him a little bit, and on our second date we were both more relaxed and it went really well, and we ended up dating for a couple of months. If it wasn't for building up a connection through the month of emails, I would never have chased for the 2nd date, and we would have missed out on something that was great while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I got a photo from a guy on pof once that I'll never forget. He had done the 'im horny' stuff and then sent a pic...in the pic, he had his back to the camera and was wearing a thong. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry:p

Anyway...I've decided to give it another shot and I've updated my profile a bit - sure why not...met some lovely guys the last time round...I'll keep ye posted;)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

The guys who send these pics...they must get some success, ya think? Why else would they send them? As a noob I must say, these stories are quite baffling and highly entertaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Rossin wrote: »
    The guys who send these pics...they must get some success, ya think? Why else would they send them? As a noob I must say, these stories are quite baffling and highly entertaining :D

I think the guys themselves get off on the idea that a woman is looking at them...I doubt any woman would reply to those types of pics (the ones with g-strings and bums I'm referring to now!)..although I could be wrong of course:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well I have a date tonight - yes I know you all know but its a rarity so I need to keep saying it! :D :rolleyes:

Then I got 2 emails last night from men I have been chatting to who both want to meet up next week! :eek: Jeez guys you are like buses! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Dovies wrote: »
    Well I have a date tonight - yes I know you all know but its a rarity so I need to keep saying it! :D :rolleyes:

Then I got 2 emails last night from men I have been chatting to who both want to meet up next week! :eek: Jeez guys you are like buses! :P

I recommend one of the tax saver bus tickets, they save money for frequent travellers :pac:

I recommend one of the tax saver bus tickets, they save money for frequent travellers :pac:

oh great... now us men are regarded as tax deductible....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

got as far as 176(going backwards) on the know your loungers, pretty sure i recognised some of you :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Rossin wrote: »
    got as far as 176(going backwards) on the know your loungers, pretty sure i recognised some of you :D

sounds O so creepy :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement