Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Dovies wrote: »
    Maybe we should have a boards dating site!!

www.boards.ie/love.php :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Wow everyday is a schoolday on here!! Thanks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Galavsean is my top match according to that.

Boards trying to give me teh ghey!

At least there are 3 females on it this time round though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Boards trying to give me teh ghey!

Lol most of mine seem to be women! Fat use that is to me! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Even my Boards-life is a c**kfest :rolleyes: :D

Anyone know if RoverJames is really a chick?!!

• Advertisement

Hmmmm,I doubt it tbh.:pac:

I think its calculated on thanks to posts ratio or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Seems clear ... start thanking the ladies, fellas :pac:

Seems clear ... start thanking the ladies, fellas :pac:

Nope. RoverJames is still my soul mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

cantdecide wrote: »
    Nope. RoverJames is still my soul mate.

It will take quite a while to efface so deep a connection :P

Just jokes, it is cumulative though ... and I think influenced by who thanks you as well.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In my experience Ive found the opposite.Another issue Ive found is that people tend to put photos up where they are looking their absolute best however the varience between photos and real life can be staggering sometimes.

It may sound harsh but you essentially talking to a photo in alot of cases.

If you click with someone when you meet them then you will have no problem keeping the conversation going anyway,same as when you get chatting with someone on a night out,if you hit it off then you dont have to make an effort in chatting to them.

Have to say i agree with most of this, I never rely on the photos they have up on the datins site, always try get the facebook add so you can see the real photos, you tend to get the looking marvelous photos and the morning after photos on facebook;)

I also say you your spot on when you say if you click with someone you click with them the conversation should naturally flow, i think 3 weeks to a month is the longest you should wait max, there have been occasions were i waited two months (not by choice) met up with them and just didnt feel it at all and your just left thinking well that was a waste, meet up see if you connect on more personal level and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Assuming Sunflower, IrishEyes, Liah and SheRa are as female as they sound, that's fantastic. If not, it's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

According to that thing I should either become a lesbian or be with a married man!

Ladies.........howya! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

According to that thing im 100% gay and mad for men into there cars :eek::eek:

Think i need to start spreading my boards wings a bit ::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Mine's a pretty even split in terms of gender.. think they all hate me though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

That always has me worrying close to a guy in the soccer forum. Maybe the two of us should give it a go since we thank each other so often :pac:

A few from here and TLL as well though. Not all a sausage fest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

liah wrote: »
    Mine's a pretty even split in terms of gender.. think they all hate me though :o

I love you :D

liah wrote: »

Yer a Stephen King fan Liah so yer alright in my book.

*ruffles Liah's hair

:pac:

If I were Liah, I'd slowly back out of the room :pac:

We'll never forget you Linda... I mean Lisa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

panda100 wrote: »
    Got a really cold text from him yesterday saying he had issues with his ex and so couldn't go on another date with me. It really came out of the blue as we had a really good laugh together and really clicked, and he took his profile down of the website and there was flirty texts up until Sunday evening. I don't think I can handle another rejection from a guy.My last ex broke up with me because he realised he wasn't over his ex.

I think you and I are kindred spirits of sort. Last 2 girls I was with, despite things going great decided they had unsolved mysteries issues with their respective exes and left me for dead.
    IMO, people need to learn to kop the hell onto themselves and follow Sean Bateman's advice: "Get over it."

Edit: Actually isnt it possible to filter out people who are seeing someone in the search?

There is. Although this one popped up on my home page under recommendations. It has also developed an unusual tendency to recommend people to me who live in other countries.

I'm also very popular among the A&A and palaeontology crowds. :pac:
    Hmmm, one female on the list. My "son"'s girlfriend. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Panda, I don't think the ex thing is necessarily a line. I've been on both sides of the divide, and if someone is still besotted the easiest thing in the world is to run back to the familiar.

Like Otis, I think you've dodged a bullet. You really can't compete with their history, so unless he wakes up and decide he's done with her, there's nothing you can do. Better sooner than later, should be some consolation. It's very selfish but loads of people jump into dating as a distraction from a break up.

Ya, your dead right, and was what my mates were saying to me last night!
    Anyways I have another date lined up with this nice Roscommon bloke I met out two weeks ago, so thinks are looking up already :) Not gonna linger on the rejection like I would have done in the past!!

I was thinking you two are a match made in Heaven, but didn't want to say anything!This is so exciting we can have our first boards wedding, we can have Wibbs and Pighead as bridesmaids.It will be so beautiful!

Only if Wibbs stands on my side.

panda100 wrote: »
    I was thinking you two are a match made in Heaven, but didn't want to say anything!This is so exciting we can have our first boards wedding, we can have Wibbs and Pighead as bridesmaids.It will be so beautiful!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.png
    No offence Galva but yer like,ya know,a dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

liah is in my top 5 for some reason :pac::pac:

No offence Galva but yer like,ya know,a dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think I'll partake in this thread. I've avoided college work today by reading it from start to finish :D

So, I have had mixed results from Internet Dating. I've a *fairly good* strike rate in terms of receiving replies. Just as I'm typing this, I have two dates arranged from PoF, an offer of adult fun from one gal on OKcupid who emailed me first - and which I won't be accepting - and have just received one of those annoying 'hi' messages from another girl on PoF (I actually replied to this with "Ah come on, you can do better than 'hi'!, to which she replied "lol, must be the weather", so I won't be replying :o), all within one week of re-signing up to the sites in question.

But! I've also had the prior experiences of arranging a date with someone who *seemed* attractive, only to discover that they were really obese when I met them, or else obviously rebounding or having confidence issues.

But I've had some great dates with it too I must say. I think I've figured out what to do in the emails. Never complement them. Ever. By that I mean don't offend them either, but a little banter and teasing goes a long way. And I think you really have to project great confidence. And you can't come across as eager to please. Basically don't seem eager. That's the main thing I think.

Anyway, the whole process can be laden with pitfalls. Right now I'm emailing this really cute girl (she emailed me first funnily enough), and I could barely believe my luck. When I found out what town she lives in, I realised that coincidentally I also have a friend in that town. So I texted said friend and asked about this cute girl. Turns out that my friend and this girl actually know each other, and that I should stay well clear. Her profile picture isn't exactly accurate, shall we say ;)

I don't send that many emails anymore. I really pick them very carefully, and then I write my mail like Galvasean and parker kent said, using humor and appealing to what they wrote. I find that throwing a few double entendres in can help too in subsequent emails.

I'm starting to think that sharing mobile numbers too soon can be a problem. There's nothing worse than being pestered with texts by someone you barely know... so I've decided to cut that out a bit.

+1

There is a fine line between being yourself and being strategic. Strategy does appear to be everything, though.

• Advertisement

Tremelo wrote: »
    I don't send that many emails anymore. I really pick them very carefully, and then I write my mail like Galvasean and parker kent said, using humor and appealing to what they wrote. I find that throwing a few double entendres in can help too in subsequent emails.

I actually agree there, gets you out of the dating site friend zone. Not that there's anything wrong with making new friends, but if you really like the girl, it helps to slowly become playfully cheeky. Not vulgar or obvious, but slightly cheeky banter. Irish girls love banter!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement