Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It doesn't bother me at all and I'd have no problem making up a complete lie about how I met someone from online. One girl I met from POF said we can't tell anyone we met on there. I wasn't too keen on admitting it either so we just made up a story about us meeting in a bar one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

This is something that would really, really bother me. I'm very open with my friends about the fact that I date people I meet online, but I know some of them judge it. The last person I would expect that sort of attitude from is from someone who is also using the sites. I would also be very uncomfortable being asked to lie about something.

i have no problem at all telling people how we met and i really dont see why she doesnt want people to know. its a far better way to find someone that some noisy nightclub.

if things dont work out i will be telling people that we met online...although i think instead of going back to this next time i might try speed dating.....i think it'd probably be a better way to judge chemistry and attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

ardinn wrote: »
    I robbed alot of it tho :D.

Also - heres a trick - put up pictures of other people doing stuff - like paint-balling (with mask) absailing - (from below) - climbing (again from below) - basically anything that looks cool that you cant see you face :D you'll look interesting then :P

i really dont agree with this....do you do the things that the photos show? if the profile is basically false then you're starting things off with lies....

to be honest i cant really say why but it would make me uncomfortable if I didn’t think my profile was honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I wouldn't ask someone to lie about it, but I haven't told my friends and have no intention to, if they ask where I met my date i'll just say college, i'm just new to this and I feel more comfortable with that at the moment, my friends wouldn't get it at all to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dandelionmind

Not a dating site really, but has anyone tried AYI (Are You Interested) on Facebook?

I got it a few years ago as a boredom buster during college (I know, I know). I wasn't looking for anything other than to have a laugh (as opposed to wanting to find dates, find a partner etc) but funnily enough, I actually met some great people on it!

I got chatting to one guy who actually became a love interest and is now one of my very close friends. Funny how things like that happen!

So, maybe it's an application to consider. However, I wouldn't advise taking it too seriously, to avoid feeling let down etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Will Hanafin has an article on online dating in Life Magazine today in the SINDO. He "invented" 2 profiles and compares the responses women get with the lack of responses men get.

I flicked through the magazine it for pictures of Grainne Seoige :pac: I swear I returned to reading The Observer afterwards :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Will Hanafin has an article on online dating in Life Magazine today in the SINDO. He "invented" 2 profiles and compares the responses women get with the lack of responses men get.

I flicked through the magazine it for pictures of Grainne Seoige :pac: I swear I returned to reading The Observer afterwards :P

No wonder I'm still single if the internet is full of fake profiles written by married men. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

hey folks, anyone got any updates over the weekend?

My date 5 never happened- he canceled on me last minute. To be honest, I'm not sure what to do with him. He sometimes seems very keen, then I'm not so sure at other times. Think I'm getting frustrated as I don't know where I stand with him- it may be time to ask him?

I was out at the weekend where I got talking to a friend of a friend. I knew she was a bit of a b*tch but i'd never experienced it first hand. SHe asked me was i seeing someone so I told her about the guy I met online.
    Her response? "You go in for all that online dating stuff, do you? I find it so pathetic and...desperate".
    To which I smiled and said, "I find it pathetic that you put up with your cheating scumbag boyfriend" and walked off.

No wonder some people feel they have to hide the fact their internet dating with judgemental people like that around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

LollieB wrote: »
    No wonder some people feel they have to hide the fact their internet dating with judgemental people like that around

There are quite a few people out there that really don't know how to lift themselves up without pushing other people down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Have been lurking in this thread a fair bit recently - the stories ye tell are really amusing :pac:.

I'm half-debating whether or not to give it a try myself. I was in a really dark place for the last year and a half and in no humour to get involved with other people. Now that I'm in a better mindset and have my life back on track again I'm open to the idea. Not dying to get involved with anyone or anything like that (:pac:) but wouldn't mind testing the waters and seeing what's out there.

Thing is, I feel like I'm a bit too young (20) to be online dating? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

uglyjohn wrote: »
    god this thread moves fast! I went on holidays for two weeks and now im 100 pages behind!

anyway, after a lot of emailing and texting I had my first date with someone from the internet....although she has insisted i can never tell anyone thats how we met! it really doesnt bother me but then again i have zero shame.

I had three days in the city before going on holidays and i met her three times and the she dropped me to the airport the last morning!

Its strange though....im found it kinda hard at first to reconcile the person in the emails and texts with the person in real life....the photo she used was a few years old and i suppose i kinda always gave her a different voice when i was reading her emails and texts.....if that makes sense?

its weird though, things started off really well but now i think she's still fixated on my profile and the emails from before we met rather than getting to know me....we're perfect on paper and i think thats more important to her than how we do in real life......not sure if i've explained it well... anyway...i'll keep reading the posts i've missed...i'll probably catch up in a few days.

What do you mean here?
    Have been lurking in this thread a fair bit recently - the stories ye tell are really amusing :pac:.

I'm half-debating whether or not to give it a try myself. I was in a really dark place for the last year and a half and in no humour to get involved with other people. Now that I'm in a better mindset and have my life back on track again I'm open to the idea. Not dying to get involved with anyone or anything like that (:pac:) but wouldn't mind testing the waters and seeing what's out there.

Thing is, I feel like I'm a bit too young (20) to be online dating? :confused:

Ah yeah, sure give it a go!! There are a few young'uns on here using the sites. Like 20-23 year olds.

So I didn't get to go on a date as I was hungover. :o But we spoken on the phone and he seems pretty sound. Date is set for Friday now. :) I know even if there's no spark or whatever we'll have a good time. We're on the same wave length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Larianne wrote: »
    What do you mean here?

Ah yeah, sure give it a go!! There are a few young'uns on here using the sites. Like 20-23 year olds.

So I didn't get to go on a date as I was hungover. :o But we spoken on the phone and he seems pretty sound. Date is set for Friday now. :) I know even if there's no spark or whatever we'll have a good time. We're on the same wave length.

Hungover!!

TUT TUT TUT!!

If a blokey did that there'd be open warfare on here about it!!

;)

gatecrash wrote: »
    Hungover!!

TUT TUT TUT!!

If a blokey did that there'd be open warfare on here about it!!

;)

I warned him before hand! He was totally fine with it.

Ssssh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Anyone ever dated by blood type?

Corsendonk wrote: »

The only bit of fussy i am about blood is that it's flowing.
    I absolutely refuse to date a corpse.

that's a very strange question! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Whaaa? :confused:

I don't even know my own bloodtype, but regardless dating by blood type sounds bizarre. Are you a vampire? :p

Hmmm, might do so. No harm in checking, eh? :P

Why do you ask? I'm sure there's some site out there that has all sorts of information about each person listed. The internet has everything :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I gave it a try, but it went badly - I could never get to question #2 'cos I was busy being thrown out of the pub after the chat-up line :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

that's a very strange question! :D

Apparently it's a big deal in Japan, they view blood types as being personality types the same way us westerners use the zodiac birth dates.

I would say that though considering I am apparently an agreeable person due to my type O- blood which means I am also sociable, confident and creative as well as vain, rude, jealous and arrogant. Damn blood making me a jerk. :mad:

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    I would say that though considering I am apparently an agreeable person due to my type O- blood which means I am also sociable, confident and creative as well as vain, rude, jealous and arrogant. Damn blood making me a jerk. :mad:

ooh sounds like its more reliable than horoscopes alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

ooh sounds like its more reliable than horoscopes alright.

:eek:

That's such a type B thing to imply! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Oh those A Negative girls, they be freak-ey :pac:

Made my profile :eek:. It's weird...

Made my profile :eek:. It's weird...

Which site?

Don't post a link to your profile!! :-)

OkC. And I won't! I'm paranoid enough someone I know will find it :P Debating whether or not to put pics up. All pictures I have of myself are quite misleading.

OkC. And I won't! I'm paranoid enough someone I know will find it :P Debating whether or not to put pics up. All pictures I have of myself are quite misleading.

IMO pics are almost a necessity. Then again, that is speaking as a mid 30's bloke!!

It attracts more attention to your profile, no matter how misleading the pics are. Unfortunately, that attention may not always be warranted or requested!!

Well put up 3. One of them is a full body shot, and 2 of mah face. I think that's fair :/

Well put up 3. One of them is a full body shot, and 2 of mah face. I think that's fair :/

That should do you.

• Advertisement

Wow, 2 messages already. One seemingly genuine (asked about my course in college), the other a bit odd.
    I wanted to say that you got such a cute face =) brings a full hearts joy to just watch your smile.

It's almost like a Nigerian spambot :P The profile behind it seems real though, which I find rather amusing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement