Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dovies wrote: »
    Doesnt know what he wants - kept contradicting himself - looking for long term and then the next minute was only looking for casual. Cant be ar**d with indecisive men - different if he was in his 20's! :eek:

Ouch. That's a kick in the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

That_Guy wrote: »
    Ouch. That's a kick in the teeth.

Ah I will get over it! :D
    Was going to try speed dating with a mate of mine but we cant seem to find any that arent under 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Doesnt know what he wants - kept contradicting himself - looking for long term and then the next minute was only looking for casual. Cant be ar**d with indecisive men - different if he was in his 20's! :eek:

could it have been nerves or maybe he was trying to say the right thing for you?

anyway.....as you say you'd expect more decisiveness from an older man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

so i've been tryin that pof website out... been on it for about a month I dunno.. The amount of women on there that I send a nice long message to, and ya either get back a reply sayin just basically hey how are you. Useless replies.. Its unreal.. One girl last night sent me a huge msg first.. And since then have been having nice long conversations between messages.. She really stands out from the crowd.. Hopefully it continues on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Cool Balfie. You do find the odd one who's actually interesting and send's decent replies. I've had a few girls just sending me bland one liners. I'm currently on MaybeFriends but the only reason I haven't axed my profile is that I stupidly paid for 3 months access one day when I was bored.

But I don't think I will bother responding to any more bland one line emails that girls send. I mean, they wouldn't respond to me if I did that so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

G-Money wrote: »
    Cool Balfie. You do find the odd one who's actually interesting and send's decent replies. I've had a few girls just sending me bland one liners.

An ability to write well is something I find attractive (as well as actually enjoying it, not seeing it as a chore!). It's surprisingly rare unfortunately.

sharper wrote: »
    An ability to write well is something I find attractive (as well as actually enjoying it, not seeing it as a chore!). It's surprisingly rare unfortunately.

Apparently I've a bit of a knack for writing but you wouldn't know it by the tumbleweeds and cobwebs I have to clear from my (insert online dating site) inbox. Perhaps I should change my dating profile to say I'm rich, have a big c*** and I'm a complete w*****r :)

I saw a site called Elite Dating, I was half tempted to join it just to see all the golddiggers on it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Balfie wrote: »
    She really stands out from the crowd.. Hopefully it continues on :)

Good luck mate, hardest thing is to find someone that stands out.

I don't get you women at all.

Getting on well with somebody via POF for the past week. I eventually pluck up the courage to ask her out on a date this weekend and I get blanked.

I asked her last night and she's been online for the last half an hour at least because that's when I've logged in.

A no would be better than being blanked.

Has happened twice.

You asked to meet too soon, or too late, or in the wrong way/at the wrong time. See the luck discussion a few pages back - there's really no way for you to know what the right approach is going to be so you basically have to hope you accidentally get it right eventually.

You can be frustrated but try not to see it as rejection.

• Advertisement

sharper wrote: »
    You asked to meet too soon, or too late, or in the wrong way/at the wrong time. See the luck discussion a few pages back - there's really no way for you to know what the right approach is going to be so you basically have to hope you accidentally get it right eventually.

You can be frustrated but try not to see it as rejection.

How can you ask too soon/late? A week is hardly an eternity and if I asked right away she'd probably think I'm a "weirdo" for doing so.

I don't think, "by the way, would you like to go for some coffee sometime this weekend?" at the end of a message can be taken as a bad way to ask somebody out really.

Damned if you do etc etc.

How can you ask too soon/late? A week is hardly an eternity and if I asked right away she'd probably think I'm a "weirdo" for doing so.

I mean too soon or too late, not both at the same time.

There are some that won't consider an exchange beyond a couple of messages, others will be freaked out by an offer to meet within 2 or 3 weeks.

It's impossible to know so sure damned if you do and all that. Unfortunately everyone is operating according to their personal rule book but they're under the impression their rules are universal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

First date in a while lined-up for this weekend.

Btw, when you look at some people's profiles, do you ever feel like sending them a message that just says "State a ya!"

And no, I don't actually do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Signed up to match.com at the weekend, cant seem to even get any girls to view me not mind reply to my mails :-(
    Didn't think I was that bad. Have five pics up - is it worth changing around the main one?

Kinski wrote: »
    First date in a while lined-up for this weekend.

Btw, when you look at some people's profiles, do you ever feel like sending them a message that just says "State a ya!"

Good luck with the date.

And nope.. Never thought about doing that. A girl did call me "posh" because I typed full words instead of txt spk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Good luck with the date.

And nope.. Never thought about doing that. A girl did call me "posh" because I typed full words instead of txt spk. :pac:

What age was she? Sounds very childish. But at least you found out without having to waste time meeting her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Putsch

I've had 20+ dates (I try to forget most of them) over a 2 year period from online sites without any 'lasting' joy....curious about how this compares to the experiences of others. It seems quite alot to me without having managed to meet a match...

btw - this thread is a great booster /source of humour when the online scene knocks you down, as inevitably it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Good luck mate, hardest thing is to find someone that stands out.

thanks man, was sending her mail's today, an by tonight came I had asked if she would like to text me, conversation continued great.. if it keeps up I will definatly be asking her out on a night out..

Yeah its hard to find someone that stands out of the crowd..

had someone yesterday send me a message that seemed like it was a copy an paste job, I went along with it.. said my hellos an all that crap, then she starts to break into 3 guys kept telling her that she was fake cause she wouldnt meet up and pleading with me to tell her that her profile wasn't fake... I was like, emmm I think I'm just gonna leave that there.. ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

]

I don't think, "by the way, would you like to go for some coffee sometime this weekend?" at the end of a message can be taken as a bad way to ask somebody out really.

Damned if you do etc etc.

You needs to gauge it if the lady like chatting to you to of one things she finds you attractive or she finds you stimulating:... She still goin to ask and the bye the way fancy meetig up for a coffee sounds wrong...

Fancy going for a coffe one lunchtime ?

99% of women will say yes....

I'd say 5 days is enough messages is enough to ask them out for a drink...

Kinski wrote: »

Nope, but I've seen a few profiles where the girl has a pic up and she looks at least 5 years older than the age she has on her profile, and sometimes 10. My first reaction is usually "There's no f**** way she is X age". My second reaction is to click "back" on the browser to take me back to the list of results :)

• Advertisement

I don't get you women at all.

Getting on well with somebody via POF for the past week. I eventually pluck up the courage to ask her out on a date this weekend and I get blanked.

Believe me its not confined to us women - as plenty on here will agree! Just because there is chat going doesnt mean she actually wants to go out with you! I asked someone out for a drink after we had been mailing for a while and he said I 'simply wasn't attractive enough' for him to date! Bleedin cheek - Im massive!! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Believe me its not confined to us women - as plenty on here will agree! Just because there is chat going doesnt mean she actually wants to go out with you! I asked someone out for a drink after we had been mailing for a while and he said I 'simply wasn't attractive enough' for him to date! Bleedin cheek - Im massive!! :eek::D

Pics or ....... :pac:

MudSkipper wrote: »
    Pics or ....... :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055293687

You will have to find me first lol

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg
    :D

bye the way fancy meetig up for a coffee sounds wrong...

How does that sound wrong compared to:
    Fancy going for a coffe one lunchtime ?

It is the exact same thing except there's a specific time frame tacked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

At the moment I am talking to a scammer on a website. Her profile says she is from Dublin but she has told me she is from Ghana. She wanted to chat with me via Yahoo messenger which is a big no no from me and I said I prefer private chatting on the website. She has sent me a few pictures which I know is not her.

After talking to me for 10 minutes she was confessing her undying love for me. She asked me for my phone number so I said my name was Joe and gave her one of the liveline office numbers lol. She told me last night when I rang you I just got answering machine but did I get the message she left. She then asked me to send her money so that she can renew her passport so that she can come over and see me next month. I told her to ring me again again today between 11 and 12 Irish time. I told her to ask for Joe Duffy and to mention its about the money. Should be fun if she actually did this.

Am I too cruel to this scammer?. She already complained she wasted $5 ringing me and that she has no credit left.

Am I too cruel to this scammer?. She already complained she wasted $5 ringing me and that she has no credit left.

Theres you leading the poor girl on -ya big tease!! :eek::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Theres you leading the poor girl on -ya big tease!! :eek::D:D
    Well if I did not do that she would be after some other poor suckers. Still can't believe that she rang me and wasted $5 she must really want to sink her claws into me real bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

I tried it briefly (online dating) I think I prefer meeting potential men to date out!

I get to nervous and cant relax, so Im not being myself anyway.
    :D

I dont like dating much :confused:

• Advertisement

Well if I did not do that she would be after some other poor suckers. Still can't believe that she rang me and wasted $5 she must really want to sink her claws into me real bad.

Haha you must be quite a catch! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement