Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

So after exchanging messages on pof for nearly 2 months now, am finally meeting up with him at the weekend. There was a genuine reason we didnt meet up before now. Hopefully I havent built up too much of a picture of him in my head that the meeting is doomed to disappoint!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

At the moment I am talking to a scammer on a website. Her profile says she is from Dublin but she has told me she is from Ghana. She wanted to chat with me via Yahoo messenger which is a big no no from me and I said I prefer private chatting on the website. She has sent me a few pictures which I know is not her.

After talking to me for 10 minutes she was confessing her undying love for me. She asked me for my phone number so I said my name was Joe and gave her one of the liveline office numbers lol. She told me last night when I rang you I just got answering machine but did I get the message she left. She then asked me to send her money so that she can renew her passport so that she can come over and see me next month. I told her to ring me again again today between 11 and 12 Irish time. I told her to ask for Joe Duffy and to mention its about the money. Should be fun if she actually did this.

Am I too cruel to this scammer?. She already complained she wasted $5 ringing me and that she has no credit left.

Not at all. There's a whole community dedicated to baiting scumbag scammers like "her".

Hmmm, I'm getting a few 1 line messages from people. I'm really not bothered to reply if all they're saying is "Cool profile. Want to chat?" Is that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

if you like the look of them, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Dovies wrote: »
    Haha you must be quite a catch! ;)
    Well no complaints so far ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Rossin wrote: »
    if you like the look of them, why not?

I dunno, I just find it quite dull. And if I'm bored at the beginning of our acquaintance it doesn't bode well for the rest of it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I'm really not bothered to reply if all they're saying is "Cool profile. Want to chat?" Is that bad?

No it's not bad, it's not a job! You have no obligation to reply to anyone you don't want to, especially if they've put minimal effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hello online dating enthusiasts. Sorry haven't been posting much lately but I've been having a great time with this dinosaur loving lady i met on POF. it'll be a month on Sunday! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hello online dating enthusiasts. Sorry haven't been posting much lately but I've been having a great time with this dinosaur loving lady i met on POF. it'll be a month on Sunday! :eek:

Go you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Well if I did not do that she would be after some other poor suckers. Still can't believe that she rang me and wasted $5 she must really want to sink her claws into me real bad.

Can't believe you're still using the female pronoun to describe "her". ;):D

I dunno, I just find it quite dull. And if I'm bored at the beginning of our acquaintance it doesn't bode well for the rest of it :pac:

feck that, if i liked the look of someone but id give them the benefit of the doubt for a few emails :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 FoFo87

Hi all,

I'm new here, but just curious as to the average age of online dating users here? I'm 24 and just joined POF, more out of interest than anything else. Oh I'm a girl, so apologies for the intrusion into the gentlemen's club! I'm just curious as to when people "normally" start using these sites, am I too young??

Am currently messaging one guy who seems nice (i.e. he can spell, and clearly took the 3 minutes required to actually read my profile) but aside from that, an awful lot of it is just generic "hey, wanna chat" messages. Which, in fairness are significantly less alarming than the guy who sent me a picture of his...er...asset. I wonder if that's ever worked for him before?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

FoFo87 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm new here, but just curious as to the average age of online dating users here? I'm 24 and just joined POF, more out of interest than anything else. Oh I'm a girl, so apologies for the intrusion into the gentlemen's club! I'm just curious as to when people "normally" start using these sites, am I too young??

Am currently messaging one guy who seems nice (i.e. he can spell, and clearly took the 3 minutes required to actually read my profile) but aside from that, an awful lot of it is just generic "hey, wanna chat" messages. Which, in fairness are significantly less alarming than the guy who sent me a picture of his...er...asset. I wonder if that's ever worked for him before?!

I was 20. Not on it anymore though. :)

pof has so many users you'd think they'd improve the site a little, its rubbish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Indeed, not all stories from PoF are failures! In a relationship with the last girl I messaged from the site, early days yet but its going great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

I'm actually enjoying this online dating malarkey.

And just recently I've been chatting to somebody, nothing major just a couple of emails back and forth, who I was instantly attracted to. By the way they write, their pictures etc. so if they said lets meet up for a drink tomorrow I'd do it.

Just kinda have that vibe that I know I'd have a blast with them.

I'm not sure if that happens to anybody else though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

phoenix833 wrote: »
    I'm actually enjoying this online dating malarkey.

And just recently I've been chatting to somebody, nothing major just a couple of emails back and forth, who I was instantly attracted to. By the way they write, their pictures etc. so if they said lets meet up for a drink tomorrow I'd do it.

Just kinda have that vibe that I know I'd have a blast with them.

I'm not sure if that happens to anybody else though?

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Met up and got on great, still seeing her too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Rossin wrote: »
    pof has so many users you'd think they'd improve the site a little, its rubbish!!

It's like the Coppers of online dating. Nobody really likes it but there's enough people there to warrant having a browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It's like the Coppers of online dating. Nobody really likes it but there's enough people there to warrant having a browse.

Ah I don't think it's bad. Much prefer it to OkCupid.

Date on Friday went well. Just trying to figure out when we can meet again. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sexter

I was seriously wondering, on the Irish dating sites like OKcupid and PoF, why don't the females reply? The women I was messaging were borderline disgusting to be blunt yet not one of them replied!? How big or a joke does it have to be before anyone questions it??? /Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

sexter wrote: »
    I was seriously wondering, on the Irish dating sites like OKcupid and PoF, why don't the females reply? The women I was messaging were borderline disgusting to be blunt yet not one of them replied!? How big or a joke does it have to be before anyone questions it??? /Rant over

Maybe your less than charming attitude was as evident in your messages as it is in this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Maybe its because you live in America

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

So you read my POF profile??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I was seriously wondering, on the Irish dating sites like OKcupid and PoF, why don't the females reply?

Because they don't reply to people they're not interested in. If men got as much mail they'd act in much the same way.

I wouldn't reply to someone that appeared to feel they were "slumming it" by talking to me.

Think I've given up on online dating :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Well out of boredom and insomnia last night, I joined OKCupid. Thank feck it's free. I axed my MaybeFriends account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FoFo87

Samich wrote: »
    I was 20. Not on it anymore though. :)

Cool, cheers for that.

Not sure how I feel about it really, had a few interesting emails the first few days but they seem to have died down now. Ah well sure, I'm in no hurry. Glad to hear of POF sucess stories here all the same, there're a lot of horror stories out in them thar interwebs!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Was talking to a really nice guy for the past two weeks and was getting on great. Tells me now he met someone about the same time we started mailing eachother but its early days so thought it was best to tell me now :(

Forgot the real world happens :D Ah well have a date Wednesday not sure what its going to be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

phoenix833 wrote: »
    By the way they write, their pictures etc. so if they said lets meet up for a drink tomorrow I'd do it.

So ask them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i think im going to try real life for a while.....i broke up with the internet girl last night. she ended up being very confusing..im starting to think that chemistry in real life is far more important than having hobbies in common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 gav25

been interested in starting a campaign on one of these dating sites but honestly don't know where to start...
    can someone suggest one to me and tell me of their experience on the site? im in my mid 20s if thats a help

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement