Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

newbee22 wrote: »
    Hi guys! On pof how do you hide your profile from one person?! They haven't memailed so can't block that way?

Pretty sure you can't block someone until they mail you first. I tried a similar tactic myself with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Thanks GMoney, after spotting a few people I don't want to see me!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Thanks guys for the tips. I just told him I would be interested in meeting up again and left it at that, as you guys are right that if I told him I was unsure it would only make him nervous. It is only a second date, so not like I am promising anything and anyone would be uncertain at that stage (including him probably). Will post an update after second date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

got totally shot down with a polite reply today, that was a strange one! usually they just don't bother. stung for about a minute.

being honest, I've been getting on ok without online of late, I may pull back on it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well I have a date at the weekend ! :eek:
    And you are the only people I tell. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

G-Money wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can't block someone until they mail you first. I tried a similar tactic myself with no luck.

http://video.ezinemark.com/plenty-of-fish-dating-site-hack-44449a33600.html

it is possible.

newbee22 wrote: »
    Hi guys! On pof how do you hide your profile from one person?! They haven't memailed so can't block that way?

If you block them they can still see you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the tips. I just told him I would be interested in meeting up again and left it at that, as you guys are right that if I told him I was unsure it would only make him nervous. It is only a second date, so not like I am promising anything and anyone would be uncertain at that stage (including him probably). Will post an update after second date.

Hope it works out for ya, in a similar situation myself and second date is at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Christ on a bike Limerick is like the Bermuda Triangle when it comes to Online Dating. Have all the women vanished or something :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the tips. I just told him I would be interested in meeting up again and left it at that, as you guys are right that if I told him I was unsure it would only make him nervous. It is only a second date, so not like I am promising anything and anyone would be uncertain at that stage (including him probably).
    Will post an update after second date.

Exactly, its not like you owe someone anything just by agreeing to a second date, just relax and enjoy the night out and if things seem better second time round great and if not just let him know you had a good time bit don't see anything developing further and leave it at that.

Goodluck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I got a date thingy this weekend. Ever think, "Wtf am I doing?" I got that now :P First time meeting someone off the internet. Should be interesting :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

We all had to break our cherry sometime so hopefully it will go well for you anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I got a date thingy this weekend. Ever think, "Wtf am I doing?" I got that now :P First time meeting someone off the internet. Should be interesting :pac:

Just imagine they're a complete stranger and you should be fine. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

Anyone recommend a dating wesbite where not everyone in Ireland can check your profile?? Looking for a similar one to eharmony where you are matched with other people (no one else can view your profile-you can't simply go browsing through profiles).

PRIVACY is crucial to me. Tis a bloody smalll country. It seems with some of these websites ever the bloody public can snoop around.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

deleted my pof account might go back on again, but not sure its worth my time right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

hi guys im reading all the different experiences people have had and i going to give the online dating a try. just looking for recommendations of good sites and ones to avoid or are they mostly all the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Im going to post this again in the chance i get some genuine,helpful responses :)

Anyone recommend a dating wesbite where not everyone in Ireland can check your profile?? Looking for a similar one to eharmony where you are matched with other people (no one else can view your profile-you can't simply go browsing through profiles).

PRIVACY is crucial to me. Tis a bloody smalll country. It seems with some of these websites ever the bloody public can snoop around.

Any suggestions?

None that I can think of. Unless you hide your pictures on one of the pay sites where only your 'friends' can view pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Any suggestions?

You could set up a POF account, set your pictures to private, and leave the profile blank. That way you can send msgs to the users you want to chat with, including the pic(s) and profile-type info in the message, and a PS explaining why your profile is blank. That's the only suggestion I can think of.

Any suggestions?

as an aside, generally when users see someone so concerned with privacy it sets off alarm bells.

While you could well be genuine about wanting to keep the idea of on line dating from your friends and family and co workers etc, for other poeple who use online dating to see someone concerned with their privacy first and foremost, suggests someone just looking for a shagbuddy, affair type thing, not a relationship.

gatecrash wrote: »
    as an aside, generally when users see someone so concerned with privacy it sets off alarm bells.

While you could well be genuine about wanting to keep the idea of on line dating from your friends and family and co workers etc, for other poeple who use online dating to see someone concerned with their privacy first and foremost, suggests someone just looking for a shagbuddy, affair type thing, not a relationship.

Good point - didn't think of that angle.

I'll think I'll skip it so - bit too open. Could only imagine the reaction at work if someone found out! I'd be crucified!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

We all had to break our cherry sometime so hopefully it will go well for you anyway.

Thanks :) Right now I'm just hoping my manflu (:pac:) clears up on time. I feel dead at the moment *cry*

Good point - didn't think of that angle.

I'll think I'll skip it so - bit too open. Could only imagine the reaction at work if someone found out! I'd be crucified!

I used another friend, and you could hide your pictures, only making them available to people you contacted/contacted you. That was only part of the paid service though.

Not sure if OKC or POF have that facility.

As for someone in work crucifying you, unless you are working in a seminary or convent..... ;)

The other thing is that IF someone in work spotted you it's cos they are on a dating site too.....

The other thing is that IF someone in work spotted you it's cos they are on a dating site too.....

Yeah have to agree. You can make your photos private on pof and smooch and then just show them to people you want to.

I used another friend, and you could hide your pictures, only making them available to people you contacted/contacted you. That was only part of the paid service though.

Not sure if OKC or POF have that facility.

As for someone in work crucifying you, unless you are working in a seminary or convent..... ;)

So how does another friend work? You just go scanning through profiles is it? Anyone and everyone on the website? I presume obviously though if my photos are not up there ain't a chance they will contact me?

I understand your last two points but i just find Ireland is a small place and I'd rather keep my business private.

Am i correct in stating POF (plenty of fish) is essentially for getting laid?

So how does another friend work? You just go scanning through profiles is it? Anyone and everyone on the website? I presume obviously though if my photos are not up there ain't a chance they will contact me?

Am i correct in stating POF (plenty of fish) is essentially for getting laid?

It works the same as any other site. You can filter by area etc however you can't send contact details unless you are a fully paid member.
    No POF is not essentially for getting laid - although as in all the sites - thats what some people use it for.

Dovies wrote: »
    It works the same as any other site. You can filter by area etc however you can't send contact details unless you are a fully paid member.
    No POF is not essentially for getting laid - although as in all the sites - thats what some people use it for.

Can the people who are not fully paid see your details/photos???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I don't get people who reply to an initial message and then when you message them again nothing! Also, people who seem to be hitting it off with you over a few messages and then nada!

One extreme case is I was messaging this girl back and forth and everything was going well. Then nothing, so I went to send her a message a day or two later and the site told me she had me blocked!

I don't get people who reply to an initial message and then when you message them again nothing! Also, people who seem to be hitting it off with you over a few messages and then nada!

One extreme case is I was messaging this girl back and forth and everything was going well. Then nothing, so I went to send her a message a day or two later and the site told me she had me blocked!

Mick, while you were messaging this girl were you messaging anyone else? If not, then fair play to you, but you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. If you were messaging others, why can't she? What's to stop one of the other lads asking her out on a date?

You have to remember, it's every man (& woman) for themselves.

If I'm messaging a girl, I will assume others are too, because what I found attractive in her, could well be what other blokes find attractive in the same person.

That's where the balance between chatting on a site and getting a phone number or date is. And don't aak me how to strike that balance, cos I don't know !! :-)

Movingtouk? To be honest, given your hangups about privacy etc, I'm not 100% certain that online dating is for you.

Can the people who are not fully paid see your details/photos???

Yes they can and send you mail etc but just not contact details i.e phone numbers or emails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just about to disable my account on POF and OKC, real world dating is more fun and the amount of nut jobs I've come across (myself included) really turns me off :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement