Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

liz2 wrote: »
    what about a paid site? anotherfriend is meant to be okay ;)

Was on that too for a while, axed my profile a while back. I think I'm a bit fed-up of internet dating, I kind of just can't be arsed with it at the moment. I've disabled my OKCupid profile. I might come back to it in a few months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

G-Money wrote: »
    Was on that too for a while, axed my profile a while back. I think I'm a bit fed-up of internet dating, I kind of just can't be arsed with it at the moment. I've disabled my OKCupid profile. I might come back to it in a few months time.

well its good to take a break from it for awhile...in a few months time you'll be rejuvinated! :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm on OKCupid. I tell a lie, I got a mail from one girl a few hours after I joined but she was in the US and I'm not convinced it was a genuine mail as such so I deleted it and didn't reply. I was on POF but got fed up with it.

I always found it amusing that most of my views tended to come from the States. Always took it to mean I've more international appeal. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I always found it amusing that most of my views tended to come from the States. Always took it to mean I've more international appeal. :cool:
    Unless PoF thinks your ISP is in the US :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Darr!
    Right folks advice needed, I've been chatting to one girl for the past few days now, the messages back and forth are usually a few paragraphs long so I think there is definitely effort being made on either side. She seems really sound, I think we would get on if we met up. I sort of hinted I'd like to meet, I said any chance you ever visit Galway (shes based in Dublin) Big long message of a reply and then at the end she said how she has only realised that I'm based in Galway and said its a bit pointless in us chatting (with a smiley face at the end if that means anything?)
    Now I don't know what the fúck to reply?!!
    Was that a subtle hint or what?

I effin' hate messaging sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Panthro wrote: »
    Darr!
    Right folks advice needed, I've been chatting to one girl for the past few days now, the messages back and forth are usually a few paragraphs long so I think there is definitely effort being made on either side. She seems really sound, I think we would get on if we met up. I sort of hinted I'd like to meet, I said any chance you ever visit Galway (shes based in Dublin) Big long message of a reply and then at the end she said how she has only realised that I'm based in Galway and said its a bit pointless in us chatting (with a smiley face at the end if that means anything?)

If you feel that it could be worth meeting just stress the point that you're not a million miles apart and see what she says? You in Dublin anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If you feel that it could be worth meeting just stress the point that you're not a million miles apart and see what she says? You in Dublin anytime soon?

Nah, I've no real reason to head to Dublin (bar boardsie beer meetups!)
    My housemate is dating a girl from Dublin, they see each other most weekends, so it is possible. I might suggest meeting up some weekend, feck it if I don't ask I'll never know!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

My housemate is dating a girl from Dublin, they see each other most weekends, so it is possible. I might suggest meeting up some weekend, feck it if I don't ask I'll never know!:pac:

Man if you can live by anything it should be "Nothing ventured, nothing gained".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Meet somewhere half-way??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

A couple of months back i booked train tickets from Dublin to Galway return for myself and 5 friends. Got them on Iarnrod Eireann. It cost €14. Total.

That was going down on a Friday morning, back on a Sunday afternoon. The tickets were €1 each and a €2 booking charge. It doesn't cost anything approaching the earth to travel up and down at all if you are smart and book your tickets in advance.

• Advertisement

No real reason to head to Dublin...... The fact that she's up here and you've been getting on fairly well would give me a damn good reason to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

gatecrash wrote: »
    No real reason to head to Dublin...... The fact that she's up here and you've been getting on fairly well would give me a damn good reason to travel.

Well said :D you could also visit some lovely boardsies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Just to back you up a little, I know I'd find doing those trips every weekend a little difficult. For the occasional weekend away, going from Wicklow, Dublin etc to Cork, Galway etc (and vice versa) is grand. But I wouldn't be on for it every week. I'd much, much rather somebody near me. If something were to come up on a weekend (anything with friends etc), it would mean not seeing each other for a fortnight. Now whilst you don't want to be in each others pockets from the off, I wouldn't like to feel that one or the other makes a trip each weekend.

Obviously different people are different, but practicality has to come into things too.

Just to back you up a little, I know I'd find doing those trips every weekend a little difficult. For the occasional weekend away, going from Wicklow, Dublin etc to Cork, Galway etc (and vice versa) is grand. But I wouldn't be on for it every week. I'd much, much rather somebody near me. If something were to come up on a weekend (anything with friends etc), it would mean not seeing each other for a fortnight. Now whilst you don't want to be in each others pockets from the off, I wouldn't like to feel that one or the other makes a trip each weekend.

Obviously different people are different, but practicality has to come into things too.

No one is saying that one person has to make all the trips. All we are suggesting is that he makes ONE trip.

Then see about how practical it would be if something more happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Agree with you on that one PK.

Ive done the quasi LDR before and its not for me.When you are with someone it should be relatively easy to see them,not having to make travel plans.Even doing something easy like watching a dvd on a Wednesday night cant be done for the most part.

No one is saying that one person has to make all the trips. All we are suggesting is that he makes ONE trip.

Then see about how practical it would be if something more happens.

I did say vice versa, indicating that there would be trips by each person.

I'm just saying that I can perfectly understand the viewpoint of somebody who doesn't want to do a long distance thing. Like Otis says, you miss out on the easy things. What I like in a relationship is being able to do easy things like a DVD on a weeknight with pizza etc. So I would be cautious about the distance issue. I tried it once and didn't like it.

Again, I am saying that this is my thoughts and each to their own.

I did say vice versa, indicating that there would be trips by each person.

I'm just saying that I can perfectly understand the viewpoint of somebody who doesn't want to do a long distance thing. Like Otis says, you miss out on the easy things. What I like in a relationship is being able to do easy things like a DVD on a weeknight with pizza etc. So I would be cautious about the distance issue. I tried it once and didn't like it.

Again, I am saying that this is my thoughts and each to their own.

I've done it twice, once to Cork, before the motorway was completed... that was a right pain in the ass. Both of us were making equal effort in that relationship, but it just fizzled, for exactly the reasons you and Otis used.

Second time was with a Galway girl, and in this instance i was doing all the driving down and back (fecking kicked myself when i found out about the €1 train fares!!) but that more dies cos she refused to ever travel up to me.

i do agree that the LDR can be a pain in the ass, but for my 2 failures i look at my sister, happily married with 3 kids after an ldr.

This lad might regret not giving the potential relationship a chance, that's all i'm saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Darr!

I'd say leave it, tbh. She'll just string you along till she finds someone closer to home. :cool:

The smiley face was to soften the blow.

Larianne wrote: »
    I'd say leave it, tbh. She'll just string you along till she finds someone closer to home. :cool:

CYNIC!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Harsh but fair! :)

• Advertisement

Did date numero 3 happen Saturday night lady?

CYNIC!! :pac:
    Dovies wrote: »
    Harsh but fair! :)

Just being realistic!

If people were just upfront at the start then people wouldn't be left wondering what the hell is going on.

Did date numero 3 happen Saturday night lady?

It did.

I don't think I'll be seeing him again though. Not really on the same page.

oh wells.

It did.

oh wells.

Ditto. Had a second date at the weekend. More roadworks than fireworks :( :pac:

There was another girl I had a date with a few weeks back that I really liked. Presumably the feeling was not mutual. Oh well!

Ditto. Had a second date as well at the weekend. More roadworks than fireworks :( :pac:

There was another girl I had a date with a few weeks back that I really liked. Presumably the feeling was not mutual. Oh well!

I got to D3 before the same thing happened at the start of the summer.....

Weird thing is that she recently got back in contact and drinkies are arranged for when she gets back from her hols...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I had a date over the weekend :eek:

Meh - not sure. Nice bloke, had a good night but the conversation was one sided - mine!! Now I know I could be in the olympics for chatting but when I wasn't, there was no conversation at all. First dates is for getting to know them i.e movies they like, books etc but I had to bring up each topic - bit of hard work. When he got started he was chatty but when the topic came to an end he couldnt find anything to say! :(

Then he text to say he enjoyed his night and apologies but hes just a quiet person. Dont know if I could do another date like that!

Meh - not sure. Nice bloke, had a good night but the conversation was one sided - mine!! Now I know I could be in the olympics for chatting but when I wasn't, there was no conversation at all. First dates is for getting to know them i.e movies they like, books etc but I had to bring up each topic - bit of hard work. When he got started he was chatty but when the topic came to an end he couldnt find anything to say! :(

Then he text to say he enjoyed his night and apologies but hes just a quiet person. Dont know if I could do another date like that!

Ah, that sounds like he's just a shy guy. He was probably worried he'd say the wrong thing. And he did apologise for being quiet so he's aware of it.

Sometimes these things are slow burners...

... and sometimes they're not.:cool:

:pac:

I got to D3 before the same thing happened at the start of the summer.....

Weird thing is that she recently got back in contact and drinkies are arranged for when she gets back from her hols...

Ah yeah it can happen. I'm not going to go through the whole story here (as she could well be a secret boardsie!), but she definitely seemed interested before during and immediately after the date. There could be all sorts of reasons for her going a bit silent (dates with other people, not wanting to date anybody, past relationship etc etc). If she gets in contact again, brilliant. If not, at least I had a good date and a few laughs.

Ah yeah it can happen. I'm not going to go through the whole story here (as she could well be a secret boardsie!), but she definitely seemed interested before during and immediately after the date. There could be all sorts of reasons for her going a bit silent (dates with other people, not wanting to date anybody, past relationship etc etc). If she gets in contact again, brilliant. If not, at least I had a good date and a few laughs.

I think it's been mentioned before on this thread, but one of the downsides to online dating is that it is like a candy store - unless you just are messaging the one person, you're never fully committed to getting to know someone properly because there is always the "ooh, there might be someone out there better than this current person". Never give it a proper chance, if you get me.

I think the multiple date thing actually worsens your chances in finding someone. ( I used to be a fan, but not so much now because of what I've stated above).

Not saying that's what happened with yourself Parker, but could be the reason.

• Advertisement

It did.

oh wells.
    Ditto. Had a second date at the weekend. More roadworks than fireworks :( :pac:

God damnit.

And this thread was going so well.

:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement