Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

newbee22 wrote: »
    Any of ye lovely male boardsies on Pof wanna check out my profile and tell me whats wrong with it?! Not having any success-AT ALL!! :o:mad:

Sent ya message on PoF :D I have just realised that my username on PoF which is 3 weeks old is a two letter phrase with the initials.. C.D. How random!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Gave Mr.Date the heaveho last week. Not wanting the same thing and I didn't see it going anywhere. Taking a break from it for the foreseeable future. Got so much on at the moment, plus I met someone the normal route at the weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

newbee22 wrote: »
    G-money i think you just described my profile- need to get good at making myself sound good!

No, don't try to make yourself sound good. Make yourself sound like the person you are. Write about what you're interested in, what motivates you and what you're looking for.

Making yourself sound good puts you in the wrong frame of mind, you start thinking about the people reading it and it all ends up watered down ("I love going out and I love staying in!"). Your profile is all about you and who you are.

Edit: Though obviously talk of the bodies in the basement is a third date topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'd agree with G-Money and SkyKing on having an interesting profile, with interests/hobbies you are enthusiastic about and one or two half decent photos. None of this "dont know what to put here, any questions just ask me" or "I love to laugh, have fun etc".
    G-Money wrote: »
    Or you can just go out with me instead :D :cool:

:) I'm kind of curious to see if pof guy is just cheeky or if he will in fact wreck my head when we meet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Larianne wrote: »
    Gave Mr.Date the heaveho last week. Not wanting the same thing and I didn't see it going anywhere. Taking a break from it for the foreseeable future. Got so much on at the moment, plus I met someone the normal route at the weekend! :)

Be careful. Once you are no longer single you become banned from TGC :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

G-Money wrote: »
    Be careful. Once you are no longer single you become banned from TGC :cool:

Oh I'm not off the market yet! I'll still hang around here like a bad smell! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Sky King wrote: »
    I would also suggest keeping everything very positive on your profile. I personally believe that any kind of negativity gives off a negative vibe about you to the reader, perhaps even on a subconsious level.

QUOTE]

I totally agree with this, it's shocking the amount of negative stuff guys have up on sites and I wouldn't go near them as it comes across as being really off putting and at the worst they sound bitter which is a big nono for me ! Your profile should be about YOU - not about what you don't want in others!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Hmmmm

fingernail chewing time.....

Date 1 last night....waiting on her verdict now!! :o

While i'm biting my fingernails a question came to me.....

What's the WORST way you've been told that an online date is not going to work out?

With me it happened about 3 years ago.
    we had a few dates, then one morning i wake up to the following text.
    Just to let you know, i'm re-activating my account on the site

Never heard from her again!! :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

gatecrash wrote: »
    Hmmmm

and how do YOU think it went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just wondering - any of you folks on Tagged or is it just another type of AFF?

MudSkipper wrote: »
    and how do YOU think it went?

I think it went well. and I'd like to meet her again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dovies wrote: »
    Just wondering - any of you folks on Tagged or is it just another type of AFF?

A mate of mine met his current girlfriend on it. He showed me the site but it seems really sleazy or something. Not for me. Reminds me of Bebo or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

That_Guy wrote: »
    A mate of mine met his current girlfriend on it. He showed me the site but it seems really sleazy or something. Not for me. Reminds me of Bebo or something.

yeah i agree! one of the guys i work with is on it too, he showed me the site and so i tried it for one day but nope, not for me..

While i'm biting my fingernails a question came to me.....

What's the WORST way you've been told that an online date is not going to work out?

With me it happened about 3 years ago.
    we had a few dates, then one morning i wake up to the following text.

Never heard from her again!! :eek: :pac:

that was nasty alright :rolleyes:
    to be honest, ive never been told its not going to work out...ive been ignored instead! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

So... been a whille but how is everyones quest going?

Hmmmm

By the way.. good luck! Ive my fingers crossed for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

liz2 wrote: »
    yeah i agree! one of the guys i work with is on it too, he showed me the site and so i tried it for one day but nope, not for me..

Have to agree - seems a bit sleazy. There is no way to filter out people who can and can't contact you so you get all sorts of ages etc.

Dovies wrote: »
    Have to agree - seems a bit sleazy. There is no way to filter out people who can and can't contact you so you get all sorts of ages etc.

yeah exactly.. its a bit too much like bebo, you add friends, read everyones homepage etc.. seems a bit too fussy for me aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Hi all, being following this thread a while, joined pof cos of it :-) been on a couple of dates, no spark but nice guys,

Then got chatting with this guy about 4wks ago, really nice, loads in common, chatting online every day and texting/chatting on the phone, between one thing and another we didnt get to meet, distance etc last time I heard from him was a usuall lovely message on sunday, saying chat tomorrow etc and then nada, he seems to have cut me off, no reason, Ive text and mailed him asking if everything ok? - no response...hes being online!!!! What the hell is that about, it seems that once your in the online world you have the right to treat people anyway you like, I know this has happened other people here, I know 2 people who have been stood up but I've talked to this guy about people doing this and he agreed it was appaling and he'd always be honest and upfront with me. It does knock the ole confidence as you keep thinking what did I say wrong, even though I know I havent....really p**sed off :-(

Rant over.....great thread btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Sorry to hear that LMC, it happened to me recently as well and is not nice, especially when you think everything's going well.

I met someone in the real world last week, then met up again last weekend and been emailing/texting every day. Find myself being a little paranoid that I will just stop hearing from him though, internet dating has made me bitter and cynical :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I went on a date with one guy and was messaging another and I havent heard from either, I don't take any offence as guys do it in real life! Plenty more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Thanks folks, his loss. Its just the normal mind going into overdrive...ie what i do/say, basically its just rude. Normally wouldnt bother me but liked this one and he claimed to like me, ah well....NEXT :-)

Hope it goes well with the new guy and i totally understand how this can make us cynical :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

talked to a girl for a week on POF, asks me to add her on Fb, I do, and she doesnt contact me since. Didnt think my photos were that bad :(

LMC wrote: »
    Thanks folks, his loss. Its just the normal mind going into overdrive...ie what i do/say, basically its just rude. Normally wouldnt bother me but liked this one and he claimed to like me, ah well....NEXT :-)

Hope it goes well with the new guy and i totally understand how this can make us cynical :-)

Thats the spirit girl :)

There's alot of rude people on those sites, it happens in real life dating too but i think more so online...
    And yes, i also understand how easy it is to be cynical :rolleyes:

well for those of you who were interested, it's a thumbs sideways but angling up!! :D

liz2 wrote: »
    that was nasty alright :rolleyes:
    to be honest, ive never been told its not going to work out...ive been ignored instead! :eek:

it was nasty alright, and resulted in a big scowly head on me for a day or 2. But then i began to giggle about it, as it removed any doubt what so ever!!!

Now i consider it amusing rather than annoying. And also that i had a lucky escape! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

LMC wrote: »

he was probably in touch with someone else the whole time and when things moved forward with them he just didnt have the decency to say anything to you, wouldnt worry about it ;)

turning my accounts back on,few weeks off was enough, i havent even gone on a date yet, i have one girl who i still chat to on fb who im to give a shout when im in the city,does that count :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

jacklad, cop on and don't post in this thread in that manner again. no further warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

do you think its necessary to write more than a few(2-3) lines in pof, in okc it kinda makes you fill in quite a bit due to all the questions

also are there any veteran female online daters that will have a look at it when im done

ive only wrote 2 lines and i kind of want to leave it at that, is that a bad idea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement