Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Hmm, people complaining about being ignored...all the nicest, most conscientious online daters must also be boardsies! We need some sort of secret code to put on our profiles, so you know you're dealing with another boards.ie poster. It could be like the Freemasons...but for online dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

@Rossin, yeh who knows, hope it works out for her!

@Kinski good idea ;-) I do think though abit more the a couple of lines works unless those 2 lines are eye catching, but hey i never know what to put on mine as what ive got doesnt seem to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pilph

Some of the posts here have been hilarious. Also some people here are very helpful with their tips ;)

What happens when you just think you have lost your bottle for dating completely? :) I don't even fancy going to pubs or niteclubs any more, but at the same time they're still good for meeting people.

Should you get someone else to write your profile for you also if you try online dating?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 zumbar

Hey,

Just dipping my toe into online dating and it's not going well at all ! I don't live in Ireland so POF is not an option but I set up an account on OKCupid and sent off some nice messages based on some guidelines I picked up on this thread and no responses !! They all visited my profile and ran a mile it seems.
    Any ladies out there care to have a look at my profile and give me some feedback ?
    PM me.

Cheers - great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Should you get someone else to write your profile for you also if you try online dating?

Well, you would like to meet someone who'd had their profile written for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

zumbar wrote: »
    I don't live in Ireland so POF is not an option..........

PoF is worldwide tho......try a basic search for your country and see how big the pond is, go fishing dude :pac:

MudSkipper wrote: »
    PoF is worldwide tho......try a basic search for your country and see how big the pond is, go fishing dude :pac:

Tried it. The pond is non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Sky King wrote: »
    Well, you would like to meet someone who'd had their profile written for them?

Well getting help wouldn't be a problem. Sometimes a friend could sell your best points better than you ever could. But obviously you need to have the personal touch. So a mixture of the two is grand in my book.

Although I've never actually had somebody look at mine and give me feedback. Maybe I should have :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Are you in Iran??

and okcupid does give results??

wierd, would have thought pof (slightly) bigger than okc :confused:

• Advertisement

I live in the Netherlands. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

lol, thats why im on pof, as theres def a bigger pond! :D
    none of the other dating sites had as much of a selection for cork from what i saw.. in particular okc

and okcupid does give results??

wierd, would have thought pof (slightly) bigger than okc :confused:

It's bigger but I prefer OKC. The layout is much better and people fill out the profile far more than POF. I seemed to have more success on OKC, it's the only place where I've arranged dates online.

A huge amount of POF profiles are one or two liners like "I dunno wot to say, lol. Mail me if you want". It does have far more people on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

I think its time i changed my profile description...but im useless at writing these things out :rolleyes:

I live in the Netherlands. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

Hmmm, brings back 600 odd results on pof, not a huge amount I'll admit. There's probably much bigger 'local' sites (in dutch) tho...... coz well if you're looking for a dutch/german/whatever speaking partner, why go to a primarily english language based site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Misticles wrote: »
    So... been a whille but how is everyones quest going?

Not good, but not on pof anymore anywho :o

It's bigger but I prefer OKC. The layout is much better and people fill out the profile far more than POF. I seemed to have more success on OKC, it's the only place where I've arranged dates online.

A huge amount of POF profiles are one or two liners like "I dunno wot to say, lol. Mail me if you want". It does have far more people on it though.

As more people are trying the online thing, the hit/miss ratio takes a dive, when I first started, used a site called rsvp.ie (long gone now) and ended out going with someone for a year. Since then have gotten 3 1+ year relations from pof and one shorter one from CS... all ended coz of varying and very different reasons, but the online thing got us introduced......... now there's almost too many fish in the pond, some who are on it for a 'laff' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

LMC wrote: »
    Hi all, being following this thread a while, joined pof cos of it :-) been on a couple of dates, no spark but nice guys,

Then got chatting with this guy about 4wks ago, really nice, loads in common, chatting online every day and texting/chatting on the phone, between one thing and another we didnt get to meet, distance etc last time I heard from him was a usuall lovely message on sunday, saying chat tomorrow etc and then nada, he seems to have cut me off, no reason, Ive text and mailed him asking if everything ok? - no response...hes being online!!!! What the hell is that about, it seems that once your in the online world you have the right to treat people anyway you like, I know this has happened other people here, I know 2 people who have been stood up but I've talked to this guy about people doing this and he agreed it was appaling and he'd always be honest and upfront with me. It does knock the ole confidence as you keep thinking what did I say wrong, even though I know I havent....really p**sed off :-(

Rant over.....great thread btw

Also this but she's been busy and she hasn't be online. :P Still, don't feel great.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

LMC wrote: »
    Hi all, being following this thread a while, joined pof cos of it :-) been on a couple of dates, no spark but nice guys,

Then got chatting with this guy about 4wks ago, really nice, loads in common, chatting online every day and texting/chatting on the phone, between one thing and another we didnt get to meet, distance etc last time I heard from him was a usuall lovely message on sunday, saying chat tomorrow etc and then nada, he seems to have cut me off, no reason, Ive text and mailed him asking if everything ok? - no response...hes being online!!!! What the hell is that about, it seems that once your in the online world you have the right to treat people anyway you like, I know this has happened other people here, I know 2 people who have been stood up but I've talked to this guy about people doing this and he agreed it was appaling and he'd always be honest and upfront with me. It does knock the ole confidence as you keep thinking what did I say wrong, even though I know I havent....really p**sed off :-(

Rant over.....great thread btw

That sucks. Reading between the lines I'd agree with other posters and guess he met someone else. If it makes you feel any better I know of guys and girls who have been treated just as badly IRL and given the cold shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lost Accent

Hey All

I have been following this forum for a little while as I have been curious about trying online dating and wanted to hear what other people's feelings about it and experience of it were. I've just opened up my own account on OKC and really was just looking for feedback as to how men feel about being messaged by women?

I can see when I log on a few guys have looked at my profile and I would be interested in chatting to them. However should I assume they're not interested because they never messaged but only looked? I have no problem asking men out or initiating conversation in the real world but not sure what the etiquette is regarding the online dating world.

I understand that I need to grow a much thicker skin to navigate online dating but would appreciate any feedback.

• Advertisement

I can see when I log on a few guys have looked at my profile and I would be interested in chatting to them. However should I assume they're not interested because they never messaged but only looked? I have no problem asking men out or initiating conversation in the real world but not sure what the etiquette is regarding the online dating world.

I'm always happy to get a message from a girl. I've often not messaged a girl for all sorts of reasons including being too tired/about to do it later, thinking she would not be interested or because I got sidetracked doing something else online.

Just because they don't send a message, it does not necessarily mean they would not like to get a message from you. You might be making somebody very happy sending it!

Hey All

I have been following this forum for a little while as I have been curious about trying online dating and wanted to hear what other people's feelings about it and experience of it were. I've just opened up my own account on OKC and really was just looking for feedback as to how men feel about being messaged by women?

I understand that I need to grow a much thicker skin to navigate online dating but would appreciate any feedback.

Flattering to have women message, will always respond. I have fond however the women who message first must be carpet bombing judging by their initial mails and responses. Even if somebody has looked I would still think about mailing. 85% of the women whose profiles I view I am not interested in, 5% I might think "I don't have a chance", 5% I mail and the other 5% get put into my "will mail" folder and get around to it in a few days.

Thanks Parker Kent.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess but after only two days I'm kinda exhausted by it all!

Yeah, I think i will just message and if they're interested that's great and if i hear nothing back that's fine too.

C.D. wrote: »
    Flattering to have women message, will always respond. I have fond however the women who message first must be carpet bombing judging by their initial mails and responses.

I see your point. Didn't think of it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

seems to be a lot of Canadian and Brazilian girls on pof but none responding to me ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Gots me a date on Sunday!:D:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Looking for female feedback on my POF account. PM if willing to help, please and thanks. Much appreciated.

Panthro wrote: »
    Gots me a date on Sunday!:D:):D

Good man yourself! Same girl you mentioned a few pages ago? Mine is on Saturday, feeling some butterflies already. God I've got to get out more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

C.D. wrote: »
    Good man yourself! Same girl you mentioned a few pages ago? Mine is on Saturday, feeling some butterflies already. God I've got to get out more!

Same girl indeed, I'm all excited aswell!:o
    Ara its all part of the fun I guess!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Good luck Panthro & C.D.! I've got round two coming up this weekend :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement