Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I txted to say i was there. Then i rang but no answer. Tried a few more times to ring her but no response i headed back to the wild west.

#31# FTW

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bebostalker

got an email saying "you've not even been a member 24hours and you've had 28 girls view you".

didnt really fancy any of 'em yet, got sent two messages but one was just a girl i didnt fancy from last time i was on giving out to me for not writing back, and another one i didnt like :(

ah well it'll prob dry up now when i go off the "new user" list!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Theres nothing more annoying when people who you havent replied to before keep on messaging you, eh get the hint, i didnt chat to you the last few times so i still dont want to cat with you!!

The block option comes in handy for those type of people who keep messaging you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

andreac wrote: »
    Theres nothing more annoying when people who you havent replied to before keep on messaging you, eh get the hint, i didnt chat to you the last few times so i still dont want to cat with you!!

The block option comes in handy for those type of people who keep messaging you;)

Occasionally we forget!!

You must make allowances for how dumb us blokes are!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

If we're single lads, why are we helping single girls to hook up with other guys??? :pac:

That's one of my rules that I refuse to break - never help a girl hook up with another guy, especially a girl you fancy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

G-Money wrote: »
    If we're single lads, why are we helping single girls to hook up with other guys??? :pac:

That's one of my rules that I refuse to break - never help a girl hook up with another guy, especially a girl you fancy!

Awh thats a meanie thing to do!

Thinking about getting back into this....anyone care to remind me why I shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awh thats a meanie thing to do!

Thinking about getting back into this....anyone care to remind me why I shouldn't?

Because people seem to have no qualms about making arrangements and either ignoring you or cancelling dates over and over, its a waste of time, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

G-Money wrote: »

For the benefit of manciety! I imagine us all gruffly making our way from our respective log cabins in the mountains to share knowledge on and debate the feminine ways. A learned forum like a Roman Senate of old!

Also maybe some of those girls have slutty sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

@ C.D.

I personally dont rate my attractiveness, but guys and friends tell me im very attractive. As a result from my personal experience I find guys can make assumptions about me and be intimidated by me. I have never rejected a guy, but then guys never come up and talk to me. Lately ive started to talk to them as i found they were just not coming to me.

Your comment "there is so much competition for a girl"??? Really?? I think a girl being single is no different to a guy being single. It gets annoying because guys tell me I must have lots of guys chasing me and sleeping with lots of guys. I then get comments when I say I dont have guys chasing me...they then say: well there must be something wrong with you...the reality of it is im picky and looking for a sensible nerdy guy. But also maybe its because guys are just too intimidated by me without even getting to know me. I personally dont have guys chasing me, because they are too shy to come up to me in the 1st place for fear of rejection...so if I was to get with someone....I dont think he would have to worry about others chasing me...thats the reality for me anyway.

If I am on a dating site, then im in the same boat...single and just looking for a nice guy.

Thanks for sharing, food for thought which will be duly digested. I suppose I had never really thought about it before but what you say makes a lot of sense. I can relate to looking for a sensible nerdy person, though they seem in short supply! I hope my comments (while they might have been controversial they were entirely honest) might give you an insight into how guys approaching you might think- yours certainly have done so for me. If they do then we are both the better for it!
    Maguined wrote: »
    Don't agree with fending off hordes of guys at all, if you are with someone you should trust her not to cheat, if you don't trust her then why would you want to be with her?

You are absolutely right and I have trusted previous girlfriends completely. You need trust for any relationship to work- I suppose this line of thinking might be a knee jerk reaction to how my last relationship ended. But even when there is trust it does gets tiresome when your girlfriend gets hit on a lot, even when you are there!

Panthro Heheh not sure whether or not to congratulate. I wonder if she is posting on a forum like we did to say that it went really well!

My date today went very well, dropped her home and went inside for tea and a goodbye kiss. Very nice girl, though different from what I expected. We have arranged D2 and I'll go with the flow from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mate just told me a friend of theirs committed suicide at weekend, linked to their FB, and its a girl I was talking to on pof before. bit of a shock. so sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

zuroph wrote: »
    mate just told me a friend of theirs committed suicide at weekend, linked to their FB, and its a girl I was talking to on pof before. bit of a shock. so sad.

Sorry to hear that. Even when it's someone not that close it seems to hit way harder than it should.

andreac wrote: »
    Because people seem to have no qualms about making arrangements and either ignoring you or cancelling dates over and over, its a waste of time, lol.

hmm, yep. though I never experienced those while I was on it. It's getting increasingly difficult to convince myself not to go back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

hmm, yep. though I never experienced those while I was on it. It's getting increasingly difficult to convince myself not to go back to it.

You will be abducted by Russians if you go back online :P

I dunno really, I tend to get fed up after a few weeks. There just aren't that many online in the age group that would go for me and then the girls aged 25-30 are open season for men of every age. It's usually a mixture of finding the girls that like me a bit immature (too young) and the girls I like tend to be looking for somebody around the 30 mark. Plus there are your usual time wasters, pen-pal seekers etc.

You will be abducted by Russians if you go back online :P

I dunno really, I tend to get fed up after a few weeks. There just aren't that many online in the age group that would go for me and then the girls aged 25-30 are open season for men of every age. It's usually a mixture of finding the girls that like me a bit immature (too young) and the girls I like tend to be looking for somebody around the 30 mark. Plus there are your usual time wasters, pen-pal seekers etc.

Russians eh? I'm not one for the cold, they know just how to get me!

I'm curious to see if it's all the same people as were on it before. that'd be kinda disheartening, and discouraging. might reactivate it to have a peek.

I'm curious to see if it's all the same people as were on it before. that'd be kinda disheartening, and discouraging. might reactivate it to have a peek.

There's that problem too. There are a fair few people seemingly always there (ourselves included). So once you have contacted the people you like and you either get no response or it doesn't work out for whatever reason, there's not much you can do.

I regret it already.

-_-

I've noticed that about Maybefriends, the same people mostly. I stupidly signed up for 3 months a while back and got bored of it about 2 weeks later. I axed my profile rather than hoping against hope I'd meet someone on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

joined pof on sunday,getting plenty of gawkers but no talkers,messaged around a dozen girls without a single reply.....jeez you wouldnt want to have a rejection complex.i'll stick with it for a while and see where it go's,not expecting much tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Just out of a long term thing so I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring, I just hope its not a case of women on there only looking to have their ego massaged.

I presume plenty of fish is the place to go?

I presume plenty of fish is the place to go?

Wouldn't be my cup of tea. I prefer OKCupid by a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

id prefer okcupid but there's no where near as much people on it so go for both i reckon!

I prefer OKC to POF, but to be honest, i've found match decent enough..... i had a lot more hits from there, and even had 3 dates.... considering my normal ratio of mails to dates to time 3 dates in 2 months is quite good¬!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

gatecrash wrote: »
    I prefer OKC to POF, but to be honest, i've found match decent enough..... i had a lot more hits from there, and even had 3 dates.... considering my normal ratio of mails to dates to time 3 dates in 2 months is quite good¬!!! :D

I agree, I switched from match to OKC after I scared off every man in the country who was on match. :pac: But I too got far more match dates. I got lots of penpals on OKC but the match people seemed more interested in meeting in person... which is the whole point as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lost Accent

joined pof on sunday,getting plenty of gawkers but no talkers,messaged around a dozen girls without a single reply.....jeez you wouldnt want to have a rejection complex.i'll stick with it for a while and see where it go's,not expecting much tho.

I completely agree. I have been trying online dating about a week, not long I know but kinda hard keeping the spirits up when you are systematically ignored! I know I am not a supermodel or anything but I'm not Quasimodo either.

Sorry, rant over. Don't mean to sound bitter but ego a bit bruised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lost Accent

I agree, I switched from match to OKC after I scared off every man in the country who was on match. :pac: But I too got far more match dates. I got lots of penpals on OKC but the match people seemed more interested in meeting in person... which is the whole point as far as I'm concerned.

Hmm, maybe might try Match. Is it worth the money? Do you think there are less time wasters because it's a paid site?

Hmm, maybe might try Match. Is it worth the money? Do you think there are less time wasters because it's a paid site?

Definitely. There are other sites that allow registration and contact with members, such as another friend, but on match you HAVE to pay to see mails. And that makes it a level playing field. If someone wants to pay to be a penpal, that's their lookout but there are significantly less people in that vein on there.

I'd advise you to only sign up for a month to any of the paid sites, cos after about 2 weeks you notice it is always the same people on line and you get totally disillusioned, as you have contacted pretty much all the people you would be attracted to within that time frame.... or at least that's the case with me!!

And it's worth mixing the sites up too. If you are investing in the paid sites go for a month on match, then a month on AF, as there are users that will be on one, and not on the other......

Last bit of advice i'd have is to give yourself time off the sites too....
    For some of us (ME anyway!!) it's turning into an endurance race.. as in how long can I endure the non-reply's, the failed dates, the mails that drop off etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

For some of us (ME anyway!!) it's turning into an endurance race.. as in how long can I endure the non-reply's, the failed dates, the mails that drop off etc.....

Sweetheart for me and you its a marathon!! :D

Dovies wrote: »

marathon?? Dovies we are WAAAAAY past marathon!! :D:p:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Dovies wrote: »

If you two are doing a marathon, mine has been more like a relay race!

• Advertisement

I found the girls on match to be a little smug or pretentious and got less replies than any of the other sites.

Or maybe it's just my ugly mug :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement