Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

What's that Skippy?..there's a date down the well?..good kangaroo!
    (No idea where I was going with that one!)

Err, quick question folks.
    So a person messages you, you have a look at their profile, it doesn't interest you, do you bother replying to her message?
    I might sound like an awful ignorant gobshíte here, but I usually don't bother replying. Anyone else guilty of such malarkey?:pac:

I'm after sending an opening message to a girl which contained the sentence "I like the cut of your jib!"..
    I'm an awful wanker!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Panthro wrote: »
    So a person messages you, you have a look at their profile, it doesn't interest you, do you bother replying to her message?
    I might sound like an awful ignorant gobshíte here, but I usually don't bother replying. Anyone else guilty of such malarkey?:pac:

I think it depends on the message. If i get a mail that just says "Hi" or How R U" i dont bother replying as they obviously cant be bothered to write a proper message either.
    But i always reply to someone who has taken the time to write a nice mail to me with a bit of detail in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭inexperienced

Recently got back to online dating. This is my fourth times to get back on that. I usually got messages when I was using the website, not loads but some. but this time, I got very little.

My intention is 'Long Term' this time. I think it may makes it less guys interested (?) And I am at my mid-thirties, so maybe that's why too (but I was on the site just a few months ago but I got far more responses...!?).

For those who dropped me messages, some can be very rude, like dropping a line 'so, you want long term, tell me more about yourself.' ??? Sound like looking for a long term from a woman is desparated and that if it's a man who is looking for long-term, they are superior!??!!?!?:mad:

So, I hide my profile and I sent quite a few messages today. I know those guys checked my message already, but none of them replied me!!!!! ????

Since I am no longer looking for people's approval and I know who I am and all that, I am fine with the rejections. But I really wonder what's wrong with my profile. Or is that online dating website is not for me as a woman in her mid-thirties to look for long term?

If you can help (especially guys), please PM me and I would PM you my profile link. THANKS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Recently got back to online dating. This is my fourth times to get back on that. I usually got messages when I was using the website, not loads but some. but this time, I got very little.

My intention is 'Long Term' this time. I think it may makes it less guys interested (?) And I am at my mid-thirties, so maybe that's why too (but I was on the site just a few months ago but I got far more responses...!?).

For those who dropped me messages, some can be very rude, like dropping a line 'so, you want long term, tell me more about yourself.' ??? Sound like looking for a long term from a woman is desparated and that if it's a man who is looking for long-term, they are superior!??!!?!?:mad:

So, I hide my profile and I sent quite a few messages today. I know those guys checked my message already, but none of them replied me!!!!! ????

Since I am no longer looking for people's approval and I know who I am and all that, I am fine with the rejections. But I really wonder what's wrong with my profile. Or is that online dating website is not for me as a woman in her mid-thirties to look for long term?

If you can help (especially guys), please PM me and I would PM you my profile link. THANKS.

Eh, what? Guys who notice you're looking for something long-term and are interested in you are rude, is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Panthro wrote: »

I'm after sending an opening message to a girl which contained the sentence "I like the cut of your jib!"..
    I'm an awful wanker!

I don't bother replying, yes it's bitchy but such is life!!!

Also I would totally respond to that message but I am a cluchie like yourself :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

It's hard to say definitively (you don't say which site you're on even) but there are both men and women out there looking for relationships of different lengths. Guys looking for long-term relationships are going to have as much trouble as anyone, perhaps more.

There can be an age problem when some guys in their mid-late thirties and forties decide they're going to chase women in their 20s instead of their own age bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I've always picked both short term and long term dating, my theory being that if something develops into a long term relationship, that would be amazing. However imo, it's not something that can be agreed upon at the start and instead would need to evolve gradually. If you're not open to a few casual dates and a 'let's see where this goes' attitude, I think there's a risk of limiting your chances for anything long term with someone who turns out to be right for you.

Pembily wrote: »
    I don't bother replying, yes it's bitchy but such is life!!!

Also I would totally respond to that message but I am a cluchie like yourself :P :P

Turns out the oul Americans never heard of that phase I used in the opening message, d'oh!:o

Eh, what? Guys who notice you're looking for something long-term and are interested in you are rude, is that right?

It's the way he talked: 'So, you want long term, tell me more about yourself' (it's not the exact wordings, but very very similar to this, maybe I can change the comma into question mark, that's it).

Anyway, with the help of other boardsies here, I somehow changed a bit of my profile. THANKS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It's the way he talked: 'So, you want long term, tell me more about yourself' (it's not the exact wordings, but very very similar to this, maybe I can change the comma into question mark, that's it).

What is wrong with asking you about yourself though? I feel like I'm missing something here. Are you saying he was too abrupt?

To be honest, I would read 'So, you want long term, tell me more about yourself' to mean that they are looking for something similar in terms of relationship (not a one nighter in other words!) and are interested in getting to know more about you.
    I'd read it in a good way!:)

maybe i read it wrong...

anyway, doesn't matter now, as the boat is gone i believe. :rolleyes:

i think the other reason is also because I am from a different race and when talking about longterm, maybe many men would like to meet with people from the same / alike background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

maybe i read it wrong...

anyway, doesn't matter now, as the boat is gone i believe. :rolleyes:

i think the other reason is also because I am from a different race and when talking about longterm, maybe many men would like to meet with people from the same / alike background.

This will probably sound racist, and i don't mean it to, but as an average white irish guy who gets a mail from a non national who wants a long term relationship, immediately alarm bells start going off in my head, saying either this is a spammer who will offer me half a deceased Nigerian prince's fortune for letting some money rest in my account, or likes the European Union citizen bit that would eventually come with marriage.

Maybe it is racism, but if i see that (looking for long term relationship) in a non national profile i tend to steer clear.

(awaits inevitable flaming, and wonders if it would have been better to post anonymously!! :))

So what other sites are ok? Im on POF and think im going to give up on that one now, lol.
    Dont want to go onto the paying ones as funds are low enough as it is:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

gatecrash wrote: »
    This will probably sound racist, and i don't mean it to, but as an average white irish guy who gets a mail from a non national who wants a long term relationship, immediately alarm bells start going off in my head, saying either this is a spammer who will offer me half a deceased Nigerian prince's fortune for letting some money rest in my account, or likes the European Union citizen bit that would eventually come with marriage.

so when i went on a date with a brazialin she just wanted me for my nationality...:eek:

Could of sworn it was for something else :D
    :pac:
    seriously were not that all well most men in here wouldn't even have the interest or madness to think in the above situation...

thats some imagination, or maybe some irish mentality you've got there. :rolleyes:

Do the non singlies still get banned from this thread?

Cos as of the weekend I'm a non singliey type!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Tell the full story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Abandoning civilization to live in a Buddhist monastery doesn't count.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Tell the full story :)

Ok, then i will.

As of the weekend me and Snoopy1 are no longer singlies, but are together...

(PS, this snoopy1 is a hawt hawt girl!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

No way!

Thats feckin deadly guys,congrats to both of you.

Who knew that our little forum would lead to this.

Fair play guys,sincerely.
    :)

No way!

Thats feckin deadly guys,congrats to both of you.

Who knew that our little forum would lead to this.

Fair play guys,sincerely.
    :)

cheers.... now, about being banned form the thread or not?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Not banned but if you go like others that have become loved up like Galva for example,you will simply just stop posting here.

Ye just use us up and spit us out.

/runs off crying

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

While bemoaning my crap love life of late 2 people told me to do the internet dating thing. I don't know if I can, not in a frown upon sort of way, just that where I live options are low. I have browsed POF out of curiosity and there is no one interesting local to make me chance taking the next step.

Getting really disheartened by the whole thing at this stage. Ive sent about 6 or 7 mails in the last few days, nothing has come of any of them, all rejected, it really isnt good for the self esteem...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

In a terrible dilemma here.

Being chatting/texting to this girl for the last two weeks. I just got a photo last night (she already had seen mine) and i have zero interest now. I have no interest in hurting her feelings so im not sure what to do. Bit obvious to just start ignoring her now immediately after the photo. In fact I imagine i am supposed to say something back to the photo.

Thoughts?

In fairness this is a horrible position to be in and Im with you in that you really don't want to hurt this girls feelings and i think I have the solution for you.

Just tell her she is the spitting image of your sister and that it is just too weird.

Least then you aren't calling her ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

WindSock wrote: »
    Tell her she looks like your sister...

Should have read all the posts.

You beat me too it you bastard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Snoopy and Gatecrash

6890snoopy-cuddling-woodstock-posters.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Met up with a girl in Newcastle over the weekend by the way via Twitter. Had been talking to her for a while in a playful banter type of way for a while.

She added me on Facebook (stalker :pac:) and she said she too was going to the game at the weekend. Asked if she wanted to get lunch afterwards so I got her number (the amount of fookin' digits is ridiculous) and we went along the quayside and had coffee. Was quite nice actually.

Nice company but I'd be surprised if anything came of it but ya never know. I'm meeting her in December when I'm back over next.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Met up with a girl in Newcastle over the weekend by the way via Twitter. Had been talking to her for a while in a playful banter type of way for a while.

She added me on Facebook (stalker :pac:) and she said she too was going to the game at the weekend. Asked if she wanted to get lunch afterwards so I got her number (the amount of fookin' digits is ridiculous) and we went along the quayside and had coffee. Was quite nice actually.

Nice company but I'd be surprised if anything came of it but ya never know. I'm meeting her in December when I'm back over next.

the fact that both of you are planning a meet up again, says lots to me.... oh and that beats the **** out of any LDR I've ever had... I crossed county lines in my car, never international boundries in a jet!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement