Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Will wrote: »
    Been on okcupid for years lol, I occasionally log in and check it out. That's about it really. I check some women's profiles but am too much of a wus to message em as they may think I'm a creep. Glad to see you're getting attention Galvasean :) The key is dinosaurs it seems! :p

Ah Will you should send them messages, by all accounts here most won't fecking respond anyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

My favorite dinosaur is the Camarasaurus, what's yours?

:D

Sure, arent they wonderful?

Littlefoot%27s_hatched.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hmm dunno if I could deal with the non-response. The enemy % on okcupid always weirds me out

Galvasean wrote: »

I LOVE that film

so so so coot

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Will wrote:
    Glad to see you're getting attention Galvasean :) The key is dinosaurs it seems! :p
    It'll all backfire hoorribly when they realise, "Oh crap, it's not just a cute persona he's made up, he's actually like that! :eek:"
    Ah Will you should send them messages, by all accounts here most won't fecking respond anyway lol

It's like the lottery. You can't win if you don't buy a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

This is true, I appear to just not be cut out for this internet dating malarky. Works well for some though I assume :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

My problem is I get messages from a lot more women than I would have ever expected but I can't do much about it as I am abroad with work these days :( maybe they will all wait for me? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Just got a mail from another seriously hot / cool chick.... This one likes dinosaurs.
    What is this, national love Galvasean day?

Wait a second.... Good looking girl... dinosaurs...

m_its_a_trap.jpg&sa=X&ei=MWSzTZPvFcqYhQf0w6zkDw&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEr81Pw2wkGuIvgjNVE_n8mOjsORQ

did you jizz in your pants? :D:D

do what quagmire would :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Awwwww, this has just made me feel all nostalgic! :) A nostalgic sucker-punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Always surprises me how many mails other girls get signed up to okcupid myself a while ago and got a few at the start now I get none, would consider myself to be attractive enough anyway and my profile is full of information yet I get nada and anyone I was chatting to no longer contacts me even when I mail them

• Advertisement

Galvasean glad you're having a good night, I just sent another mail there, personalised it towards his profile and asked questions based on what he said he was interested in...saw the guy going to my profile, but he didn't respond.

Bold boy!
    :rolleyes:

Just an update: got a mail back from him this morning!
    Opening line was I checked out your profile last night and was too tired to compose a coherent message back so decided to get some sleep first.

Bless him, he made an effort :D

A few mails back and forth today, but I've to go on a study session now so hopefully I'll be able to pick up the conversation later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Im surprised how much attention OKCupid gets on here. I found it rubbish.

POF has some dodgy folk on it.

match.com has so far provided the most decent guys and dates.

Definitely still rate match.com as my fav website. Sure POF is free, but I find the guys much more polite and relationship material on match.com. The dates from match.com have also been a much nicer experience. In general more success potential with the site I find then the others.

Thou no dating website has ever provided me with a 4th date with any one guy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm on OKCupid as free suits my non-existent budget much more than a paysite. A pay site which has no greater guarantees of success and is likely to feature an older demographic due to the fact it is a paysite.

Also, OKCupid has actually been pretty OK (ba doom tish) in my experiences over the last few months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

A pay site which has no greater guarantees of success and is likely to feature an older demographic due to the fact it is a paysite.

Not sure I'd agree with either of these, TBH. I'd imagine a paysite would cut out a lot of the dross and people doing it "for the craic". And older? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I've been on PoF (OKC and others had barely anyone from my neck of the woods) for the last month or so. Got loads of profile views and never any replies or messages for the first few weeks :( Was just thinking of deleting, I was so fed up :( So gave the profile a serious sprucing up.

Then about a week ago got talking to a great girl, started texting, had first meet the other day and were talking for nearly three hours. Parted with a kiss :p and she wants to see me again, has been texting loads too.

But I swear to God the minute I got in the door from that date I've had no less than four really good looking and cool girls initiating contact with me, talk about waiting for a bus :mad::mad::mad: Where the feck were they hiding? I wouldn't mind but I'm not one for this multiple dating stuff, I know some people can have loads of dates set up. But I prefer to concentrate on one person and give them a fair chance.

One thing I'll say in regard to how some girls view most guys on PoF, one of them actually said "you seem really cool and genuine compared to the rest of the freaks and pervs on here!" in her initial message. Two more said similar. So I guess some guys really do ruin it for us genuine fellas on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Herrick wrote: »
    So I guess some guys really do ruin it for us genuine fellas on it.

or perhaps the deviants make the normal people more attractive by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Herrick wrote: »
    I've been on PoF (OKC and others had barely anyone from my neck of the woods) for the last month or so. Got loads of profile views and never any replies or messages for the first few weeks :( Was just thinking of deleting, I was so fed up :( So gave the profile a serious sprucing up.

Then about a week ago got talking to a great girl, started texting, had first meet the other day and were talking for nearly three hours. Parted with a kiss :p and she wants to see me again, has been texting loads too.

But I swear to God the minute I got in the door from that date I've had no less than four really good looking and cool girls initiating contact with me, talk about waiting for a bus :mad::mad::mad: Where the feck were they hiding? I wouldn't mind but I'm not one for this multiple dating stuff, I know some people can have loads of dates set up. But I prefer to concentrate on one person and give them a fair chance.

One thing I'll say in regard to how some girls view most guys on PoF, one of them actually said "you seem really cool and genuine compared to the rest of the freaks and pervs on here!" in her initial message. Two more said similar. So I guess some guys really do ruin it for us genuine fellas on it.

Fair play to you!
    I had a MASSIVE row with a mate over this attitude, she is ok setting herself up with multiple suitors to test out over a series of dates.
    Now I'm talking 6 different guys from Thursday night to Sunday night.
    She on the other hand, expected any of the guys she was meeting on these dates to only deal with her until she made up her mind which one she would choose...and she wonders why I had issues with that :rolleyes:

If a guy did that to her there would have been copious amounts of alcohol and girly "all men are bastards" chats to organise for her.

Apparently though, I'm wrong and she doesn't want to talk to me until I agree with her...needless to say it has now been 5 months since we spoke.
    Morrigan just ain't down with that kinda sh*te :cool:

Not sure I'd agree with either of these, TBH. I'd imagine a paysite would cut out a lot of the dross and people doing it "for the craic". And older? Really?

I've a friend who was on Match. She got a lot of those messages. Idiots are still idiots, whether they use a credit card or not!

As for the older line, I'd imagine people aged 27+ would be more serious about finding a relationship and more likely to join a pay site. Plus people aged under 25 are less likely to have more disposable income due to being in university, a crap job etc. All generalisations, but more still pretty true.

Plus, all dating sites have more people aged 27+ due to them being more serious. So I imagine if a younger person were to use a dating site, they'll lean towards the free option for a variety of reasons.

Edit: Plus no dating site can guarantee success. There may not be people mutually attractive on the site at the same time. There's a lot of luck to dating sites, the ideal girl for me may have been on a dating site last year or maybe next year. But I'm on it this year, so a quirk of time might see us miss each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Fair play to you!
    I had a MASSIVE row with a mate over this attitude, she is ok setting herself up with multiple suitors to test out over a series of dates.
    She on the other hand, expected any of the guys she was meeting on these dates to only deal with her until she made up her mind which one she would choose...and she wonders why I had issues with that :rolleyes:

If a guy did that to her there would have been copious amounts of alcohol and girly "all men are bastards" chats to organise for her.

Apparently though, I'm wrong and she doesn't want to talk to me until I agree with her...needless to say it has now been 5 months since we spoke.
    Morrigan just ain't down with that kinda sh*te :cool:

To be honest, it doesn't really sound like your mate is ready for a relationship at all, or at least not an adult one.

That kind of expectation of different treatment going into a relationship will persist throughout it and will normally be the death of it. Online or real life, doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

To be honest, it doesn't really sound like your mate is ready for a relationship at all, or at least not an adult one.

That kind of expectation of different treatment going into a relationship will persist throughout it and will normally be the death of it. Online or real life, doesn't matter.

Oh i know.
    This is a girl who has a princess fit if a guy doesn't respond to her calls/texts within a required time, and is then accusing him of cheating.
    Anytime I have pointed out this absolutely horrid behaviour I've been accused of taking the guys side..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I've been trying OKC for awhile, the only problem I have when I come across someone who I think is interesting is thinking of something to say. I've learned not to take it too seriously, and if people don't message back, well that's grand, nothing lost really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I've a friend who was on Match. She got a lot of those messages. Idiots are still idiots, whether they use a credit card or not!

As for the older line, I'd imagine people aged 27+ would be more serious about finding a relationship and more likely to join a pay site. Plus people aged under 25 are less likely to have more disposable income due to being in university, a crap job etc. All generalisations, but more still pretty true.

Plus, all dating sites have more people aged 27+ due to them being more serious. So I imagine if a younger person were to use a dating site, they'll lean towards the free option for a variety of reasons.

Edit: Plus no dating site can guarantee success. There may not be people mutually attractive on the site at the same time. There's a lot of luck to dating sites, the ideal girl for me may have been on a dating site last year or maybe next year. But I'm on it this year, so a quirk of time might see us miss each other.

Yes but id rather look around match.com for a while and pay to chat to a nice guy on it then get hideous dates from a free site like POF.

Unless my dating techniques are really wrong, I dont know why I would go from one extreme to the other?

match.com dates: Guys really nice and still friends with them
    POF dates: Went exactly the same, but guys just treated me really badly on it, like they were god's gift to women and i was a piece of pooh on the ground.

Hmm let me see which one i would chose?

Yes but id rather look around match.com for a while and pay to chat to a nice guy on it then get hideous dates from a free site like POF.

Unless my dating techniques are really wrong, I dont know why I would go from one extreme to the other?

match.com dates: Guys really nice and still friends with them
    POF dates: Went exactly the same, but guys just treated me really badly on it, like they were god's gift to women and i was a piece of pooh on the ground.

Hmm let me see which one i would chose?

Well you were talking about OKCupid and how you could not understand it's popularity on Boards, so that was what I was basing my opinions on. I was comparing OKC to pay sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Fair play to you!

OT but would be curious to know how those dates bills worked out...

OT but would be curious to know how those dates bills worked out...

fcuk knows, but its always coffee or drinks dates - not a dinner date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

ah fair enough so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Which do you think is best for a first date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Which do you think is best for a first date

I actually think coffee is good for meeting people from online.
    Purely because it's informal, not too costly, you are not going to be impaired by booze and its a short date if you don't click as opposed to having to sit through three courses!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement