Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bebostalker

Cute 19 year old girl chatted me last night, seems sounds enough, I am 25....................Can I??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Cute 19 year old girl chatted me last night, seems sounds enough, I am 25....................Can I??

Why not? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

It's up to how you feel about it. I wouldn't have much hope for someone 6years younger than me,but others might be ok with it

It's up to how you feel about it. I wouldn't have much hope for someone 6years younger than me,but others might be ok with it

Well Im 43 and I wouldnt think twice about dating someone who was 37 - maybe the age gap doesnt seem so different when you get to my age!! :rolleyes:

Dovies wrote: »
    Well Im 43 and I wouldnt think twice about dating someone who was 37 - maybe the age gap doesnt seem so different when you get to my age!! :rolleyes:

Well that was my point,people differ on opinions when it comes to age gaps. I'd be more likely to go 6years older than younger though.

• Advertisement

tbh i think id go for it, its just the potentially being frowned upon id be worried about! i suppose i wouldnt really know if shes mature or not unless we meet.

tbh i think id go for it, its just the potentially being frowned upon id be worried about! i suppose i wouldnt really know if shes mature or not unless we meet.

Plus its only a date -not like you are proposing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

GO FOR IT!!! Hey you'll never know what could happen..... Sure what have your to lose!!! And plus she could be really mature for her age, I always think 19 year old woman are light years ahead of 19 year old men, but sure thats just my opinion;)

Anyway back on POF myself and have already gotten messages, must be cos I'm the fresh meat and all that.... Looking forward to getting myself back out there though and hopefully getting a few dates out of this... :D:D (although saying that I've prob jinxed myself and get no messages ever again!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Well that was my point,people differ on opinions when it comes to age gaps. I'd be more likely to go 6years older than younger though.

Which is pretty much what the 19 yr old girl in BeboStalkers post is doing.

A bloke would tend to go for a younger woman

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gatecrash wrote: »
    meeting 2 (or 3) people for the first time around the same time is totally acceptable.
    Just try not to meet them at the exact same time... that could be awkward.

• Advertisement

Just try not to meet them at the exact same time... that could be awkward.

Depends... some people are into that sorta thing!!

I mean speed dating, obviously!!

Which is pretty much what the 19 yr old girl in BeboStalkers post is doing.

A bloke would tend to go for a younger woman

Why is that? I would like to go for my own age or older because I don't want someone immature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

POF has some cracking looking women on the site but it's the only site where I failed to get a date. AnotherFriend is ok but you have to prepare to face an analogy of trying to get blood out of a stone, i.e. a date. It can be frustrating. I met my current gf through Facebook.

Some guy said beware of photo cropping a few posts back. Absolutely true - I've met a coupe of very overweight girls in the past who didn't look that big in the headshots.

How over weight are you talking? Would that be a big problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Why is that? I would like to go for my own age or older because I don't want someone immature

Well one reason could be that a guy in his mid-twenties might not be ready to settle down in a serious relationship and he might perceive (correctly or incorrectly) that an older woman would be looking for looking for that, whereas a younger woman wouldn't.

Nothing wrong with that; I think it's less about age than where you and the other person are at in your lives (e.g. in college or first job and just enjoying the freedom and fun/settled in a job with a career path/ready to buy a house/ready to have children)

What I find irritating are the guys who send messages...oooh wanna call over to mine...eh no... I dont want a sleazebag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

booboo88 wrote: »
    What I find irritating are the guys who send messages...oooh wanna call over to mine...eh no... I dont want a sleazebag

Does that ever work for them I wonder? Surely no woman would agree to call over to a complete stranger like that?

Either of you wanna call over to mine?

hollypink wrote: »
    Does that ever work for them I wonder? Surely no woman would agree to call over to a complete stranger like that?
    I dread to think if there was ever a woman that needy, would call over. Sure he could be ted bundy for all you know.
    Either of you wanna call over to mine?
    Ha I lol'd :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

booboo88 wrote: »

Snap...... That was my first message I got this morning after joining.... You'd have to wonder do they actually think someone will reply to them?? Or maybe there are women that reply to them and that's why they keep sending them out?????

I don't know. Most blokes I know are the same though.
    All I do know is that I've always gone for women either my age or younger.

My girlfriend is 4 years younger than me.

• Advertisement

ruthiepie wrote: »
    Snap...... That was my first message I got this morning after joining.... You'd have to wonder do they actually think someone will reply to them?? Or maybe there are women that reply to them and that's why they keep sending them out?????
    Well I replied, but only with sarcasm. Maybe he didn't pick up on that, actually he didnt, he thought I was asking him a genuine question.
    I don't know. Most blokes I know are the same though.
    All I do know is that I've always gone for women either my age or younger.

Ive been with a guy 15 years older, a guy 7 years older, 2 years older and a guy 1 year younger. Out of all I'd say the guy two years older was on the same level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

It tends to go that way for 2 reasons:

1. Girls tend to mature faster than guys so in mid-late 20s guys are on the same level as a girl a few years younger.

2. Guys in their mid-late 30s decide they want a family so start looking for a younger woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 baggypants

i was on a dating site a couple of months back and i got zero results just a few mad messages :rolleyes: so threw my hat at ,so today after reading this thread i joined up to different online dating site so wish me luck peeps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Haven't been on POF in ages. Never bothered deleting my profile though. The same bloody faces kept coming up every day........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Flaker

sharper wrote: »
    Doesn't mean he typed it into his phone correctly though!

I'd say just send him a final message asking what's up. If he ignores it or gives a lame answer then you've given him every chance and you can draw a line under it.

So I did what you advised and got a message back almost staight away. that said something like "Hi Babe, am over this weekend". Now I know he is English, but he put my hometown down as his location so I presumed he lives here. But maybe not, and this might be why he didn't contact me via the phone. That said, not sure about him if he lives in England most of the time! Think I may just meet him anyway for the crack (he is possibly thinking the same thing!!). This is getting a bit complicated.....

Flaker wrote: »
    So I did what you advised and got a message back almost staight away. that said something like "Hi Babe, am over this weekend". Now I know he is English, but he put my hometown down as his location so I presumed he lives here. But maybe not, and this might be why he didn't contact me via the phone. That said, not sure about him if he lives in England most of the time! Think I may just meet him anyway for the crack (he is possibly thinking the same thing!!). This is getting a bit complicated.....

very good reason to draw a line under it and move on. Ye havent even met yet and he already seems a bit sneaky. And why did he wait til you contacted him if he's online?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Girlfriend? Congrats! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Flaker

I know, I know. You are probably right....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Relatively new to the online dating world but I've found that some women aren't being entirely honest in how they present themselves in their photos. I dont know what its like the other way round because I dont look at the mens section for obvious reasons. I got talking to a girl, her photo was nice and she seemed sound. Met her in real life and it was a bit of a shock. Her photo was a carefully angled and lit head shot. Dont want to be cruel or anything but she was very heavy. But you would never tell from the pictures she had up on her profile. I was annoyed because I felt like I was misled. I know people want to put their best foot forward and all but this business of getting professionally done photos that are carefully angled, lit, edited or whatever to make the person look a lot better than they do in real life is very deceptive and akin to lying. Again I know you dont wanna put up a bad photo but you gotta be realistic and put up something that is a fair reflection of your physical appearance. If you're carrying extra weight then use a picture that shows that. You may not get as many replies but at least the ones you get are based on reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Flaker wrote: »
    Think I may just meet him anyway for the crack (he is possibly thinking the same thing!!). This is getting a bit complicated.....
    If he's going to be over at some point and you want to meet him there's little harm in it. It doesn't sound like it's going to lead to anything serious but you never know either. It's possible the reason he set his location to there is that he's planning on making a move soon from the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement