Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Larianne wrote: »
    Girlfriend? Congrats! :D

You must have missed it Lari,our own Snoopy & Gatecrash are now a couple.Check back about 10 pages or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Larianne wrote: »
    Girlfriend? Congrats! :D

You must have missed it Lari,our own Snoopy & Gatecrash are now a couple.Check back about 10 pages or so.
    Laurianne you missed the big announcement :)
    We met because of this thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Our little forum brings romance to the world.

/wipes tear

Ive got something in my eye,right!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Laurianne you missed the big announcement :)
    We met because of this thread!!

Oh I missed the announcement on the thread! Ad-hoc loggin on.

Great news missy. Congrats to you too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Missed this too, great news, delighted for ye ;-)

• Advertisement

Relatively new to the online dating world but I've found that some women aren't being entirely honest in how they present themselves in their photos. I dont know what its like the other way round because I dont look at the mens section for obvious reasons. I got talking to a girl, her photo was nice and she seemed sound. Met her in real life and it was a bit of a shock. Her photo was a carefully angled and lit head shot. Dont want to be cruel or anything but she was very heavy. But you would never tell from the pictures she had up on her profile. I was annoyed because I felt like I was misled. I know people want to put their best foot forward and all but this business of getting professionally done photos that are carefully angled, lit, edited or whatever to make the person look a lot better than they do in real life is very deceptive and akin to lying. Again I know you dont wanna put up a bad photo but you gotta be realistic and put up something that is a fair reflection of your physical appearance. If you're carrying extra weight then use a picture that shows that. You may not get as many replies but at least the ones you get are based on reality.

Christ how naive are you?
    So many blokes change their pictures as well. Ive met many a bloke who was completley different to his photo.
    It happens everywhere, most people put up their best picture. Some lie alright, but most pictures are accurate.
    Poor you having to find out she was heavier than expected. Deal with it and move on. Its about personality as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

So many blokes change their pictures as well. Ive met many a bloke who was completley different to his photo.
    It happens everywhere, most people put up their best picture. Some lie alright, but most pictures are accurate.
    Poor you having to find out she was heavier than expected. Deal with it and move on. Its about personality as well.

Well that is true and the poster does seem a little naive. But it is not all about personality either, there has to be some attraction too and many people put up misleading photos. So it is fair enough to be annoyed at misleading photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Flaker

sharper wrote: »
    If he's going to be over at some point and you want to meet him there's little harm in it. It doesn't sound like it's going to lead to anything serious but you never know either. It's possible the reason he set his location to there is that he's planning on making a move soon from the UK.

I think he works here some of the time at least. I suppose how much can you really tell of a person from a few emails - the only way to really form an impression is to meet them. Also, I suppose he can check other people out online if he wants. He owes me nothing if you think about it. I need to chill a bit maybe.

Anyway, we are meeting at the weekend for a few drinks, so we'll see. I will let you know the outcome!

As an aside, a guy contacted me today who is so my type it is ridiculous. We seem to like all the same things, and he seems really smart and funny too so you never know do you?

Well that is true and the poster does seem a little naive. But it is not all about personality either, there has to be some attraction too and many people put up misleading photos. So it is fair enough to be annoyed at misleading photos.
    Of course it's annoying when the photos are misleading . Im just telling the poster it's going to happen in the world of online dating.
    I've found lots of men to post up misleading photos. Pictures angled so they look taller or head shots so u cant see much. It's not just the women (which poster seems to be getting at) that put up misleading photos.
    I know it's not just about personality or looks its the combination .
    Apologies for rant, was just annoyed with the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Back On The Market Again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Flaker wrote: »

As an aside, a guy contacted me today who is so my type it is ridiculous. We seem to like all the same things, and he seems really smart and funny too so you never know do you?

"Dear [insert username], I noticed you like [insert interest].. I spent 2 months last year in [obscure exotic country] doing that! I noticed two things in your third picture, one that you also play [insert sport], used to love that as a kid! Second thing I noticed were your lovely [insert colour] eyes!"

Is finally yielding results! Big improvement after I stopped asking girls to come over to mine :p You better get replying though if this date is gonna happen!

Heheh all your comments take on new, hilarious meaning now that we know you are dating Gatecrash :D Are you suggesting he compensates for what he lacks in looks with personality?!

amandaf675 wrote: »
    Back On The Market Again :(

Sorry to hear that. Hope it was nothing too traumatic. Welcome back to the thread! I'm semi on the market at the moment, which suits me as all 12 of girls I find attractive on PoF have been messaged. Need more fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Have been on POF for a while now and getting absolutely nowhere!

Have messaged loads of girls...even tried to be a bit witty in some of my messages, but....not one reply. It's all "Read. Deleted" or "Unread. Deleted."

It says to expect a reply from 1 in 3 messages, but I'm starting to think they left 2 zeroes off the 3 - ie 1 in 300.

It's at the stage where I'm now considering putting up a fake profile with a photo of a male model and messaging these girls, just to find out for myself if that is what it takes to get a reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

C.D. wrote: »
    Heheh all your comments take on new, hilarious meaning now that we know you are dating Gatecrash :D Are you suggesting he compensates for what he lacks in looks with personality?!

OI!!!
    :mad::(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

Disasterous date on Sat night, i've never met a guy that i've ever felt that i needed to get away from straight away. This guy sent me a pic that must have been from 20 years ago and he was hot then, when i met him he was fat and bald (nothing against fat bald guys, i just don't find them attractive) so it's not only women that put up inaccurate pics! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

I met a girl online before, she was fair alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 baggypants

well did what i said i was going to do and got myself onto POF yesterday and got six messages after a couple of hours :D and a date :D:D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SMPB

Oh my goodness. New to this dating thing again. Is the on-line route really that bad? Sounds a little worrying. Is it safe? Has it worked for anyone you know. Any scare stories? Appreciate warnings and a few smiles would be good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Gekko wrote: »
    It's at the stage where I'm now considering putting up a fake profile with a photo of a male model and messaging these girls, just to find out for myself if that is what it takes to get a reply!

How about not doing that - then you will only be back on here complaining when you get loads of replies. Why dont you try a profile review - someone on here will do it or on POF? You never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I think im def going to pack in the online thing for a while now :( Been mailing a guy on Connecting singles for a few days, we spoke briefly on the phone last night to arrange a possible meet, but i seemed turned off straight away and dont think i want to meet him now.:o

I know it sounds shallow, but when he asked when am i over his direction again, i casually asked him does he drive and he said no, and thats a big thing for me, shallow as it may sound, but i just find it very hard to see someone who doesnt/cant/wont drive.

Think ill just send him a message apologising that i cant meet up now and sorry for messing him around, think ill just delete my profile, dont think im in the right frame of mind for this at the moment, a break might be good.

Well lots of chatting going on yesterday and I have had 4 date offers! See how many actually materialise into dates though! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

Ok question for ye all.... Got a mail of this lad yesterday responded this morn and he was straight back with what's you number so I can text you.... My gut feeling is saying don't bother cos he's prob just a player... So should I give him my number to suss him out or just not bother???? I'm thinking I shouldn't even bother with him but second opinion would be great!! :D

ruthiepie wrote: »
    Ok question for ye all.... Got a mail of this lad yesterday responded this morn and he was straight back with what's you number so I can text you.... My gut feeling is saying don't bother cos he's prob just a player... So should I give him my number to suss him out or just not bother???? I'm thinking I shouldn't even bother with him but second opinion would be great!! :D

Why would you not bother with him? Because he wants your number or something else?

Dovies wrote: »
    Why would you not bother with him? Because he wants your number or something else?

Ya its the fact that he wants my number and he didn't even tell me his name... should i just chance it and see??? sorry im so indecisive at the best of times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 newbie_cat

I would think trust your gut instinct it it's telling you not to. Personally I wouldn't like giving out my number that quickly. I had a guy ask fro my number pretty quickly, I said no and he turned out to be an idiot so I was so glad I didn't. Maybe try to get to know him my messages first if you're interested in him and see how it goes?

Ya its the fact that he wants my number and he didn't even tell me his name... should i just chance it and see??? sorry im so indecisive at the best of times!!

Ah right. No I wouldnt either. I only give my number to someone when we arrange a date.

newbie_cat wrote: »
    I would think trust your gut instinct it it's telling you not to. Personally I wouldn't like giving out my number that quickly. I had a guy ask fro my number pretty quickly, I said no and he turned out to be an idiot so I was so glad I didn't. Maybe try to get to know him my messages first if you're interested in him and see how it goes?
    Dovies wrote: »
    Ah right. No I wouldnt either. I only give my number to someone when we arrange a date.

Normally wouldn't give out my number that quickly either, but was got on the hop when he asked for it so quickly.... Just doesn't sit well with me... Hmm might send him a mail back and see if it goes anywhere that way maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

Id wait too, i'd say get to know him first before giving it out. I've in the past given out my number early on, only to regret it when i've gotten to know them a bit better. Afterwards all the private calls start coming in at all hours of the night, and all the messages of 'why won't you answer me?', 'should i delete your number?' then 'pls answer me'. And then when you do answer them and say i don't think it's going to go anywhere you start getting 'why what's wrong with me?' 'what did i say?' 'what did i do wrong?'. !!!!!!!! OMG. I'm seriously thinking of taking a long break from internet dating!

• Advertisement

Jenna69 wrote: »
    Id wait too, i'd say get to know him first before giving it out. I've in the past given out my number early on, only to regret it when i've gotten to know them a bit better. Afterwards all the private calls start coming in at all hours of the night, and all the messages of 'why won't you answer me?', 'should i delete your number?' then 'pls answer me'. And then when you do answer them and say i don't think it's going to go anywhere you start getting 'why what's wrong with me?' 'what did i say?' 'what did i do wrong?'. !!!!!!!! OMG. I'm seriously thinking of taking a long break from internet dating!

God I'm so glad now I didn't give him my number after reading your post.... Your right though at the start your still getting to know each other so you have no idea what they're really like...... Anyway sent him back a mail and just made a joke but also the truth that I don't give my number that early.... Hey if he does't reply than of course I have to say its his loss!!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement