Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

Congrats Gatecrash & Snoopy! That's great news! :)

I'm thinking of opting out of online dating for a while. Have a date on Friday, not too pushed about it, but the guy seems nice & friendly so I'm giving him a chance! If it doesn't go anywhere I'm going to take a break for a wee while!

Have had a good run at it though but okcupid is beginning to dry up for me :D Will go back on it in the new year to have a look at the fresh meat (that is if nothing materialises in the mean time!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Well was without my laptop for 2 weeks, back on again, no new faces, mailed some peeps, no replies. Ahhh.

God being a fella sucks on that site!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Figured I might share a story here, might give people some hope.

Earlier this year I set up a profile on OKC to give the whole online dating thing a go and see who I got talking to. To be honest it was a mixed bag, had some brief lovely conversations with some women and on the flip side had a lot of "Hey babez, u luk hot" messages. The text speak ones nearly gave me a stroke trying to read through some of them, which wasn't endearing at all to say the least. Some helpful advice from a boardsie on this forum improved the profile, but to be honest I didn't have much faith in the whole concept.

Until one night I arrived back from a night out with the lads. Checked my email to find I had a message from a woman, and from another country too. We messaged for a bit, which evolved into emailing every day, which turned into a lot of Skype calls, then texts/phonecalls, and being in contact every single day. I even closed down my profile as I had no other interest than in talking to her. We decided to meet up, we had gotten to know each other so well that it would have been a shame not to see if that spark existed in person.

So last Friday morning I boarded a plane from Dublin and flew to see her. I knew going there I felt something for her, and I knew she felt something for me too. I was nervous as hell, as she was meeting me at the airport, but I had gotten to know her so well it felt like I wasn't meeting a complete stranger. We met, hugged, chatted for a while, and I instantly knew I really really liked her. We had an incredible weekend together, a lot of very romantic moments, and I asked her out as we were walking through the grounds of a castle.

She said yes.

I know the whole long distance thing may seem daunting to some people, but not for me, we're going to work hard to make things work. She's coming over in a few weeks and we're going to take each day as it comes. In my mind I'm hoping to move closer to her next year.

Bottom line is this: There's thousands of people out there on these sites, and it can be incredibly frustrating and irritating at times when people ignore you, or are rude to you. But there's a lot of good, genuine people on them too. You'll never know who might just click on your profile tonight, or tomorrow and send you a message.

So keep the faith, and remember: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Congrats Hyperbullet! Really hope it works out for the two of you!

Have a date for Friday night :D Been messaging & texting this guy since last night, and we're meeting up Friday. Excited. Definitely fancy him from the picture {hope they're honest pictures!} and I'm enjoying chatting away to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Aw, that's lovely HB. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

mariebeth wrote: »
    Congrats Hyperbullet! Really hope it works out for the two of you!

Have a date for Friday night :D Been messaging & texting this guy since last night, and we're meeting up Friday. Excited. Definitely fancy him from the picture {hope they're honest pictures!} and I'm enjoying chatting away to him.
    Larianne wrote: »
    Aw, that's lovely HB. Best of luck with it.

Thanks very much, very kind. And best of luck on the date Mariebeth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Am i the only one getting messages from guys in places like india and Morocco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lost Accent

I got a "Hi" from a guy in Israel and get a lot of views from guys in the UK and France. ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Earlier this year I set up a profile on OKC to give the whole online dating thing a go and see who I got talking to. To be honest it was a mixed bag, had some brief lovely conversations with some women and on the flip side had a lot of "Hey babez, u luk hot" messages. The text speak ones nearly gave me a stroke trying to read through some of them, which wasn't endearing at all to say the least. Some helpful advice from a boardsie on this forum improved the profile, but to be honest I didn't have much faith in the whole concept.

Until one night I arrived back from a night out with the lads. Checked my email to find I had a message from a woman, and from another country too. We messaged for a bit, which evolved into emailing every day, which turned into a lot of Skype calls, then texts/phonecalls, and being in contact every single day. I even closed down my profile as I had no other interest than in talking to her. We decided to meet up, we had gotten to know each other so well that it would have been a shame not to see if that spark existed in person.

So last Friday morning I boarded a plane from Dublin and flew to see her. I knew going there I felt something for her, and I knew she felt something for me too. I was nervous as hell, as she was meeting me at the airport, but I had gotten to know her so well it felt like I wasn't meeting a complete stranger. We met, hugged, chatted for a while, and I instantly knew I really really liked her. We had an incredible weekend together, a lot of very romantic moments, and I asked her out as we were walking through the grounds of a castle.

She said yes.

I know the whole long distance thing may seem daunting to some people, but not for me, we're going to work hard to make things work. She's coming over in a few weeks and we're going to take each day as it comes. In my mind I'm hoping to move closer to her next year.

Bottom line is this: There's thousands of people out there on these sites, and it can be incredibly frustrating and irritating at times when people ignore you, or are rude to you. But there's a lot of good, genuine people on them too. You'll never know who might just click on your profile tonight, or tomorrow and send you a message.

Ya big ride ya.

:pac:

In all seriousness mate,fair play for going out on a limb like that,I doubt Id have the stones for it.Im genuinely happy for ya,well done.
    booboo88 wrote: »
    I got a "Hi" from a guy in Israel and get a lot of views from guys in the UK and France. ??

Its that feckin Nigerian prince's family,they are just trying to spread the wealth.

Its that feckin Nigerian prince's family,they are just trying to spread the wealth.

If buy wealth you mean their seed they can bloomin keep it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

What kind of frickin messages are you gettin????

She said yes.

This is such a lovely story. I really hope it all works out

Deleted my account, waste of time. Guess I'll just wait til I'm 25 in 5 years time and hope more people are on it that would be interested :D

If buy wealth you mean their seed they can bloomin keep it:rolleyes:

Oh! I just got a "Hey Baby, howz it going" type message.

Now I feel left out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Been lurking this thread for a while and decided to give it a go a few months ago but so far ive completely struck out.
    I first tried Okcupid but after a my first few sets of unanswered messages i decided to spread my wings and setup on PoF as well.
    Had no luck so far on both and its starting to seem pretty useless, really have no idea where im going wrong and ive tried a fair bit of the advice written on here as well.
    My first contact was 3 days ago from a girl on PoF through the meet me feature but from what ive read it seems the site just could be trying to keep me interested. I did message her but so far no reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

VinLieger wrote: »
    My first contact was 3 days ago from a girl on PoF through the meet me feature but from what ive read it seems the site just could be trying to keep me interested. I did message her but so far no reply

Try a profile review. You can do it on POF or Im sure someone here will take a look and give you an honest opinion. Can't hurt. Are you contacting people though or are you waiting for them to contact you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Way to go HB, good on you.

Same as Otis, i dunno if i would have had the stones to do that.

But as the saying goes, "A faint heart never won a lady"

(i prefer an old us navy submarine captains version, but it's a little coarse!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I appear to have 2 dates lined up for the next few days. It seems to always happen when I take a little break. I guess renewed energy plus "fresh meat" is a good combo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I don't know what to make of my online dating experiences! It does seem that cutting contact is grad without reason :/ but I closed my account so I'm gonna stop questioning!?

I actually have a story related to HBs. I decided to check out Chatroulette one evening after college. It was an "anything but study" moment. And yes I was fully dressed :pac: It all seemed pretty boring until a nice, blonde Polish girl started chatting to me. We spent ages talking and when she had to go, we swapped email addresses. I sent an email saying nice talking to you etc and didn't expect to hear from her again. But she replied and suggested chatting on Skype.

We then ended up doing that every so often over the next 6 months and got to know each other. We were both doing a masters so we had that in common. I offered to read over her thesis to check the English in it, and she agreed but only under the proviso that...she come to Ireland to meet me! I had the :eek::eek::eek: face and then early this year she came over for 5 days. We had a great long weekend and things got romantic on the Sunday. It was basically a brilliant weekend. We then had the discussion about what we would do in future and we agreed it couldn't work with us living at opposite ends of Europe. But it was so worth it and makes for a great modern story. It is like an online version of Before Sunrise :pac:

We still chat every so often on Skype and are still friendly enough.

• Advertisement

Pembily wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of my online dating experiences! It does seem that cutting contact is grad without reason :/ but I closed my account so I'm gonna stop questioning!?

Did anything more come of the dates you were having? You seemed to be having decent success.

Did anything more come of the dates you were having? You seemed to be having decent success.
    Ironically the non-internet date turned into more hence the closed account! Of the 3internet dates I went on 2 stopped contact and 1 randomly contacts! No mention of meeting again :confused:

Ironically the non-internet date turned into more hence the closed account! Of the 3internet dates I went on 2 stopped contact and 1 randomly contacts! No mention of meeting again :confused:

Well that's good news for you though I assume? Maybe trying online dating made you more receptive to an approach in the real world, so it may have some effect there.

The non-contact after a date does suck though. I have had that myself. At least don't leave the person wondering.

Well that's good news for you though I assume? Maybe trying online dating made you more receptive to an approach in the real world, so it may have some effect there.

The non-contact after a date does suck though. I have had that myself. At least don't leave the person wondering.
    Oh defo, I'm all :D He asked me out in a shop near where I live so I would probably have been receptive anyway but the internet dating made me relax and realise it's not my fault they don't contact and the current guy showed me that it's not all game playing either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

Jenna69 wrote: »
    Disasterous date on Sat night, i've never met a guy that i've ever felt that i needed to get away from straight away. This guy sent me a pic that must have been from 20 years ago and he was hot then, when i met him he was fat and bald (nothing against fat bald guys, i just don't find them attractive) so it's not only women that put up inaccurate pics! :mad:

Ouch! some of mine are about 2 years at most old, 20 years is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I never get messages from guys outside Ireland, or not many outside Cork for that matter! Not getting anywhere with it, changed my profile a bit but still nothing:(

What kind of frickin messages are you gettin????
    "Hey baby, you are very cute and have a sweet smile, I would like to own your heart":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    newbee22 wrote: »
    I never get messages from guys outside Ireland, or not many outside Cork for that matter! Not getting anywhere with it, changed my profile a bit but still nothing:(

I rarely get guys in Cork, last bf was from limerick, he was d!ck! and kilenny and waterford. not all of them online, only limerick dude :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've just started a relationship with a guy I met on plenty of fish. Given that either of us never go out to pubs or clubs we never would have met!

The men I responded to were the ones that said something specific about my profile, who had a picture up and who were interested in getting to know me. I was very clear in that I didn't want a one night stand.

Be yourself on your profile, don't try to be funny or smart, let your personality shine through. What made me message my bf was his honesty and sincerity in his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

/delurks
    Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Laurianne you missed the big announcement :)
    We met because of this thread!!
    That's great news! Congrats to you and Gatecrash. Such a cool story! :D

Super-cute story, Hyperbullet. Really hope it works out for you :)
    /relurks

• Advertisement

Exactly a month since the girl I was texting and getting on great with last text, she hasn't been online since then. Hope she's just blanking me rather than something bad happening to her :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement