Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I don't really mind if a girl smokes. Hate when they smoke inside the house tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

YFlyer wrote: »
    I don't really mind if a girl smokes. Hate when they smoke inside the house tho.

yeah well most people would agree that's fair enough. I suppose if I'm not happy dating a smoker, I have to be ok with that decision.

yeah well most people would agree that's fair enough. I suppose if I'm not happy dating a smoker, I have to be ok with that decision.

Yes it wouldn't be a turn off for me.

A more of a turn off with me would be somebody questioning me, in a negative way, why I'm a vegetarian and exercise most days of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I have down 'Don't Care' as I've dated smokers before. Once they don't smell or taste of it, it usually doesn't bother me. BUT now from working in hospital, I see the effects of smoking and the horrible treatments people have to go through so I would be hesitant.

A more of a turn off with me would be somebody questioning me, in a negative way, why I'm a vegetarian and exercise most days of the week.

Well if someone questioned you about that then you'd know you're not compatible. Kinda handy. :)

Yes thats true. I usually drop them like a hot spud.

• Advertisement

Don't know why anyone would question that negatively.
    Larianne wrote: »
    I have down 'Don't Care' as I've dated smokers before. Once they don't smell or taste of it, it usually doesn't bother me. BUT now from working in hospital, I see the effects of smoking and the horrible treatments people have to go through so I would be hesitant.

yeah it's the health thing as much as the smell. I know it's maybe a bit premature to think of these things in a potential partner, but having had my mam die of cancer related to smoking, it is something I've become quite wary of.

yeah it's the health thing as much as the smell. I know it's maybe a bit premature to think of these things in a potential partner, but having had my mam die of cancer related to smoking, it is something I've become quite wary of.

No, I totally agree. Not premature at all. It really isn't a nice way to end your years. For you or your family. So it does have me thinking.. if I was dating someone I would want them to give up, but its not really anybody elses call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lost Accent

booboo88 wrote: »
    Am I the only one getting no where on pof?

Nope. I'm in the same boat. I prefer to think it's them and not me though!;)

No, I totally agree. Not premature at all. It really isn't a nice way to end your years. For you or your family. So it does have me thinking.. if I was dating someone I would want them to give up, but its not really anybody elses call.

Yeah, so i've been filtering by non smokers or trying to quit, because I would want them to quit, but the thing is I wouldn't want to be with someone on the basis that they would give up. that's their choice, it just doesn't suit me, so no point going there in the first place.

Don't know why anyone would question that negatively.

Believe me, it has happened. Not in a joking sort of way.

• Advertisement

They don't know what they are missing :)

booboo88 wrote: »
    Am I the only one getting no where on pof?

not on POF, but i'm getting very little interest on OKC. wasn't expecting much anyway. but this little.. :\

Yeah, so i've been filtering by non smokers or trying to quit, because I would want them to quit, but the thing is I wouldn't want to be with someone on the basis that they would give up. that's their choice, it just doesn't suit me, so no point going there in the first place.

Yeah. I know what you mean. Do you think the filter is decreasing your luck?

WhooOo. First female message! :confused::cool::pac:

Well if someone questioned you about that then you'd know you're not compatible. Kinda handy. :)

I agree. I work in a hospital too and have been floored to say the least by what some patients must go through. It's be an issue for me too and if you lost someone to such a disease, it'd make you so cautious about potential partners

well it's just leaving out the guys that smoke, but as I said it's probably better that way long term.

what did your girl say? :D

They don't know what they are missing :)

Exactly! :D

what did your girl say? :D
    ur sexy xx

cha-ching! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Send her my way :pac:

Samich wrote: »
    Send her my way :pac:

Well I think she liked my red dress, so...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Ah that's nothing. I used get male mails the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

good luck with the dates people :)

just a question for any non smokers, do you filter your searches by whether or not the person smokes? It's kinda a big deal to me, but I wonder what difference it's making to everything.

I'm not a fan of people that smoke (constant exposure to second hand smoke causes me problems) and I'm actually a little amazed at the number of women that smoke. Last time I checked on okc in the age-range I usually search for (28-38) about 40% of women smoked versus 20% of men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

sharper wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of people that smoke (constant exposure to second hand smoke causes me problems) and I'm actually a little amazed at the number of women that smoke. Last time I checked on okc in the age-range I usually search for (28-38) about 40% of women smoked versus 20% of men.

Sure the amount of people who smoke is rediculous, like when ya go to the smoking area in a pub they are wedged, smoking is sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Sounds like you're a little conflicted about what you're looking for..?

I reckon see her again, but for a sober date, and see how you get on. I bet she'll wake up today regretting the last drink and hoping it didn't put you off. :)
    Ah, defo give her another chance. Nerves and maybe wanting to keep up with you with the drinks caused that.

Yeah, I'll definitely give her another chance, everything else about the date was great. Been texting her today and she'd had no dinner before coming out and had been at an exhibition with free wine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Internet dating embargo still in place here. I think I must be approaching my longest break from it in a few years. Still quite enjoying it. I think anyway! Everyone else seems to be pairing off with someone these days except me though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Somewhat on-topic question, does anyone know anything about Badoo? I didn't make an account on it yet about 18 months or 2 years ago started getting emails from them. Finally got around to going onto it today to delete the account and they had a pic of me from facebook and an old one from Bebo. The whole thing seemed a bit off but a quick google doesn't suggest anything nefarious about the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Well, my internet dating career is over before it began! Had a date for tonight, he cancelled on me. Not the best start ... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I have a date tonight.She asked me out in her third message.Bluntness ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I have a date tonight.She asked me out in her third message.Bluntness ftw!

Oh that's probably where I went wrong so. Asked him out in about the third message! :o Probably scared him off with my bluntness. God I have a lot to learn in this whole dating scene! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Oh that's probably where I went wrong so. Asked him out in about the third message! :o Probably scared him off with my bluntness. God I have a lot to learn in this whole dating scene! :o

There are no rules to dating. Some people will like being asked out early, others will not. I have a date with a girl that asked me out in her second message. I've had dates before after about 10. All you can do is use your wits and judge it on its merits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Would it worry/concern you a little if someone you are in contact with but not met up with yet is a little too keen with the contact??

Reason i ask is this person im in contact with is texting quite a lot, when i didnt reply earlier (i was busy) i got a "you arent very talkative" text, then a missed call ( i still havent spoken on the phone yet), then i logged online and there were 2 messages in my inbox from him, one saying "you not answering your text?" and the other saying, i was just ringing you to see if you wanted to head out somewhere, (not sure if he meant tonight) but i wouldnt be going out on a big night anywhere for a first meet up.

Kind of freaking me out a little by the over the top contact...:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement