Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

VinLieger wrote: »
    What does everyone else say in their message subject lines?
    Im just not sure what to put anymore after getting so few response and im worried my messages arent even getting read cus the subject lines dont attract any attention

I got great responses from titles directly related to the contents of the message, which in turn related to an aspect of the profile, rather than generic "hi" messages. Something like "Into horseriding?", then "me too", along with more obviously, in the message. Title have covered pretty much everything you can imagine. It's about standing out, then the message carrying on so it's starting a conversation. Worked for me in getting responses anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Going out on a date on Friday.

Had my page set to hidden on POF and didn't want to look at it anymore.. Got bored last week, and put it back on, and a lovely girl sent me a message, been talking to her since, an gettin along great, shes a really nice girl, and great to have a conversation.. None of this one word shiite.

So anyways, Friday will be a date, can't wait to go on it, and see how I get on..

I shall check back in an let ya's know how I get on..

(not that anyone prob gives a flyin feck :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was browsing some profiles and saw a girl who had
    I don't like depressing guys so don't message me if you're moody

Later down the profile was this
    I'm the type of girl who can be so hurt but still look at you & smile. The type of girl who is willing to brighten your day even if i cant brighten my own. <3<3

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ive reactivated my okcupid account, havent been on in a long time there so might see if its any better than POF. How do you search for people on it though? Im all confused :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was browsing some profiles and saw a girl who had

Later down the profile was this

I wouldnt use :rolleyes:, I would use :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Just got another one of those notification emails from POF notifying me of "possible" matches. I bet it contains the faces of people who've been showing up on the same e-mail for weeks........

Oh, and I've also joined Smooch.com. What's this site like for results?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

timmy880 wrote: »
    Anybody having any luck this week?

First time poster on this thread.

Heading on a date later, nervous as I havent been on a date in a while (like about two months or whatever) cause I was kindof seeing someone.

Not now tho so fingers crossed.
    She is a good looking girl, hope it goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Does anyone get a little bit creeped out by older people sending you messages. Im 26 and have gotten a couple of messages from men in their mid forties. Now dont me wrong they need to find a partner too but I just think they are too old for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Oh, and I've also joined Smooch.com. What's this site like for results?
    Aw I hate this one....hopefully got it deleted ok. Maybe it'll work for you but I was getting messages off people much older than me, and most of them were "Hi" :o
    timmy880 wrote: »
    Anybody having any luck this week?
    Nope, but I think it's more me than the guys. I have gotten mails, but either they live the other end of the country from me (kind of hard to organise a meet-up) or they are just guys I don't like the look of photo/profile write up/lack of message just "Hi" again! Think I'm too picky?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

eilo1 wrote: »
    Does anyone get a little bit creeped out by older people sending you messages. Im 26 and have gotten a couple of messages from men in their mid forties. Now dont me wrong they need to find a partner too but I just think they are too old for me!

woman in her fifties telling me she'd loved to melt in my eyes all night kind of terrified me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

zuroph wrote: »
    woman in her fifties telling me she'd loved to melt in my eyes all night kind of terrified me.

Yeah it seems the only people who think I'm good-looking are friends' mothers. Good for slagging, not great otherwise. :pac:

missbelle wrote: »
    Nope, but I think it's more me than the guys. I have gotten mails, but either they live the other end of the country from me (kind of hard to organise a meet-up) or they are just guys I don't like the look of photo/profile write up/lack of message just "Hi" again! Think I'm too picky?? :eek:

Just a quick poll, would you consider Carlow the other end of the country, or would you think that would be something you could not make work. Would you even bother meeting someone from Carlow if you thought they looked nice?

Just a quick poll, would you consider Carlow the other end of the country, or would you think that would be something you could not make work. Would you even bother meeting someone from Carlow if you thought they looked nice?

Yes, I would def consider meeting them, if I was getting on well with him in the emails/texts, and thought it was reciprocated. I was talking more like Galway/Kerry/Cork being too far away, just being practical :)
    Realistically though, it would be difficult to start something up living 3-4 hrs away from each other, do you not think?

Yes, I would def consider meeting them, if I was getting on well with him in the emails/texts, and thought it was reciprocated. I was talking more like Galway/Kerry/Cork being too far away, just being practical :)
    Realistically though, it would be difficult to start something up living 3-4 hrs away from each other, do you not think?

Yea, I would agree 2/3 hours is too long away. I'm just wondering if people think 1 hour is too long away (thats roughly the time to carlow on the motor way these days), especially if the person works in Dublin anyway.

I suppose it depends on each person

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

First time poster on this thread.

Heading on a date later, nervous as I havent been on a date in a while (like about two months or whatever) cause I was kindof seeing someone.

Not now tho so fingers crossed.
    She is a good looking girl, hope it goes well.

Good luck! :)

Yea, I would agree 2/3 hours is too long away. I'm just wondering if people think 1 hour is too long away (thats roughly the time to carlow on the motor way these days), especially if the person works in Dublin anyway.

I suppose it depends on each person

No I wouldn't say 1hr is anything too crazy, especially with the motorway you can still meet up in the evening if you're not working late, and can meet the weekends too. Ideally, of course we'd like them to live in the next town, but then I guess I would have crossed paths with him already :D

good luck on the date anyway...keep us posted! :P

Larianne wrote: »
    Good luck! :)

Thanks allot:D. I'll let you know how it goes, just in case you could care less. :p

Except if its absolutely terrible, in that case, you just wont hear anything from me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why do guys ask girls to look over their profiles? People are as diverse as they are different, so what one girl finds off putting or dis interesting, might appeal to another - no point asking a single individual to tell you what's wrong or right, really. I had never given much thought to online dating but a friend joined awhile back and I did as well, just to see what it was like. So far, it's....okay, I suppose, but I still feel a little hesitant about the whole thing, but I have met some nice people and had a few dates which went pretty well, though so far it's more that I had a great time, but wasn't feeling it past friendship. I think maybe the problem is more so the type of person I'm looking for and living in somewhere as relatively small as Galway....but still, supposed to be going on a few more dates so we'll see how that goes! I joined OkC and POF, but found OkC was much better laid out and incomparably more user friendly, so I only really bother with that...

No I wouldn't say 1hr is anything too crazy, especially with the motorway you can still meet up in the evening if you're not working late, and can meet the weekends too. Ideally, of course we'd like them to live in the next town, but then I guess I would have crossed paths with him already :D

good luck on the date anyway...keep us posted! :P

That’s exactly what I’m starting to think, at this stage, I have crossed paths with every single eligible datable person in Carlow
    [url]:confused[/url]: now thats just sad! :eek:

Yea, I’ll let you know how it goes, unless as I said above, it’s terrible then you just won’t hear from me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've looked at a few profiles for people on here and I have just given basic tips - having more than one photo, expanding your profile so you write a bit more about your interests, that sort of thing.

I find the main thing guys get 'wrong' with their profiles is that they put too little information into it.

But yeah, it does depend on who you message, what they're after and how you word your message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Why do guys ask girls to look over their profiles? People are as diverse as they are different, so what one girl finds off putting or dis interesting, might appeal to another - no point asking a single individual to tell you what's wrong or right, really.
    Larianne wrote: »
    I've looked at a few profiles for people on here and I have just given basic tips - having more than one photo, expanding your profile so you write a bit more about your interests, that sort of thing.

I find the main thing guys get 'wrong' with their profiles is that they put too little information into it.

But yeah, it does depend on who you message, what they're after and how you word your message.

Likewise I've tried to help a few girls by looking at theirs. Not all advice was taken, not all was successful when taken, but feedback says that c.80% of the help I gave paid off with more traffic, responses and dates*. I don't put that down to me, I put it down to the fact that an objective eye can be very valuable. There's plenty of reason to ask for help, from a collective or an individual. Anything that improves your chances of being successful can only be good and it makes perfect sense to ask for help from members of your target audience.

*I also noticed someone's headline on PoF was a direct quote of something I said in this thread..... you know who you are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

eilo1 wrote: »

I'm 24 guy and messaging a 19 year old girl who is lovely. Can't help but feeling a little predatory about it though!

*I also noticed someone's headline on PoF was a direct quote of something I said in this thread..... you know who you are :D

Ooh, do tell, we're all friends here :D

C.D. wrote: »
    I'm 24 guy and messaging a 19 year old girl who is lovely. Can't help but feeling a little predatory about it though!

.....24/2 = 12 + 7 = 19.....Just about :cool:

So this girl has been messaging me on there, and I was talking to her, but not lots..

Anyways, being a gentleman that I am, I told her that I have a date with someone on Friday, and I don't want to lead her on, and not tell her cause that's not how I roll, I'd rather not lead someone on, and then have to tell them that something happened with someone while I was talking to them, telling them that I liked them an stuff.

(Maybe stupid of me, its a dating website, but I'm not a player. If the date goes bad then at least I can go back and say, hey, the date went bad. An whatever.. instead of making her more and more interested and then having to tell her that I'm an absolute kunt and am seeing someone else.)

Anyways, she sends me a message back saying, II will know if ya message me back if the date goes bad..

And then sends me another message saying, "I hope it goes awful"

wtf like!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Balfie wrote: »
    So this girl has been messaging me on there, and I was talking to her, but not lots..

Anyways, being a gentleman that I am, I told her that I have a date with someone on Friday, and I don't want to lead her on, and not tell her cause that's not how I roll, I'd rather not lead someone on, and then have to tell them that something happened with someone while I was talking to them, telling them that I liked them an stuff.

(Maybe stupid of me, its a dating website, but I'm not a player. If the date goes bad then at least I can go back and say, hey, the date went bad. An whatever.. instead of making her more and more interested and then having to tell her that I'm an absolute kunt and am seeing someone else.)

Anyways, she sends me a message back saying, II will know if ya message me back if the date goes bad..

wtf like!

You're not committed to the person you're going on a date with, like you can go on as many as you want and its none of their business.

They should appreciate your honesty but I'd say shes just bitter and jelly she didnt get in their first ha like does she think people on dating sites dont go on dates?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

wtf like!

Or perhaps she wants the date to go bad so you lose interest in the other girl?

Misticles wrote: »
    You're not committed to the person you're going on a date with, like you can go on as many as you want and its none of their business.

They should appreciate your honesty but I'd say shes just bitter and jelly she didnt get in their first ha like does she think people on dating sites dont go on dates?

:confused:

Yeah I know I'm not committed, but I'm not like that, I thought I was being nice. Telling her that I was going on one.. I know I can go on as many as I like, but I'd rather not be a player, leading one person on while all the while someone else is waiting in the wings falling for me. I'm just not like that.

I dunno what she thinks, but I'm actually annoyed that she sent me a message saying she hopes it goes awful, sent me another one while I was writing thee message on here saying that she liked me, and that she was "Super interested"

thats still no reason to hope someones date goes shiite..

Ah well.. won't be sending her anymore messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Yeah I know I'm not committed, but I'm not like that, I thought I was being nice. Telling her that I was going on one.. I know I can go on as many as I like, but I'd rather not be a player, leading one person on while all the while someone else is waiting in the wings falling for me. I'm just not like that.

I dunno what she thinks, but I'm actually annoyed that she sent me a message saying she hopes it goes awful, sent me another one while I was writing thee message on here saying that she liked me, and that she was "Super interested"

thats still no reason to hope someones date goes shiite..

Ah well.. won't be sending her anymore messages.

• Advertisement

Or perhaps she wants the date to go bad so you lose interest in the other girl?

I still wouldn't send a message saying something like that to someone. Maybe thats just me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement