Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Galvasean wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDFDDE_X_918nsaPbaThuaHYMN0KtmQFUtF4KvbouRsjtSIvrI&t=1

Oh and this reminded me of this thread:
    xkcd-parody-online-dating-sites-hobby.png?w=348&h=373

:rolleyes:
    I'll put you on the naughty step!

I've seen people from here on dating sites, some have even been matched to me hehehee.

Don't think many of the boys know what I look like though so they don't know it's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fine! Convinced her to log off. This better not backfire! :P

Fine! Convinced her to log off. This better not backfire! :P

Good boy, now go play with your dinosaur toys for a little while, you can play with her later.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Good boy, now go play with your dinosaur toys for a little while, you can play with her later.

:D

pffft , toys.

they're action figures :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

the other night i was verbally told that Im a bad person because I want to make money and there are other more important things in life...

to night im told Ive a good entrepreneur ethics about me...now thats a perfectly good reason to stay single in my mind....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Lol,different strokes for different folks eh Snowy!

Lol,different strokes for different folks eh Snowy!

I think Im going to get my self a nice big dog :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think Im going to get my self a nice big dog :D

:eek:

My friend met up with a lovely guy from one of those sites three weeks ago and she's totally smitten! Fingers crossed for her.

Larianne wrote: »
    :eek:

My friend met up with a lovely guy from one of those sites three weeks ago and she's totally smitten! Fingers crossed for her.

I dunno I think it's down to timing at least if I get a big dog it'le be company
    And give me in conditional love :)

Fingers crossed for you friend :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Yeah big cuddly dogs are the way to go.or small cuddly ones.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Question for the girls, but maybe also for the guys in the same situation - what's your view on guys living at home?

I was thinking about giving online dating a bash but I'm living with my ma at the mo and so I've been thinking, what's the point? Living at home is like an anvil attached to my mojo. I moved home to go travelling initially, and though I'm back in full time employ I've been doing short-term contracts and haven't had the security to move out, much as I want to. I also don't even know where I'll be in a months time, as the work could dry up and I could end up moving to London. Not exactly ideal relationship material right there, is it?

At the same time, I could be waiting quite a while if I hold off until my plans firm up a bit.

I'm 28, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Question for the girls, but maybe also for the guys in the same situation - what's your view on guys living at home?

I was thinking about giving online dating a bash but I'm living with my ma at the mo and so I've been thinking, what's the point? Living at home is like an anvil attached to my mojo. I moved home to go travelling initially, and though I'm back in full time employ I've been doing short-term contracts and haven't had the security to move out, much as I want to. I also don't even know where I'll be in a months time, as the work could dry up and I could end up moving to London. Not exactly ideal relationship material right there, is it?

At the same time, I could be waiting quite a while if I hold off until my plans firm up a bit.

I'm 28, btw.

It wouldn't bother me.

Obviously it's less than ideal, but it would only be a real problem for me if both of us lived with our parents (all going well :)).

I think given the plight of the nation, a lot would understand.

I think given the plight of the nation, a lot would understand.

Yeah the country is full of people who have left home but sadly had to have moved back in with the 'rents for reasons beyond their control.
    No point in holding it against them.

I'm 28, btw.

well i'll admit that yeah i'd be a bit put off. it wouldn't stop me considering someone if everything else checked out ok. Though it completely depends on the guy. i mean if he's liking it too much, like getting to comfortable, and is back having his mammy look after him, that'd be a no for me. He'd have to be well able to take care of himself.and have motivation and intention to move as soon as he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Speaking as somebody who had to move back home in the last few months, I can say that some people will hold it against you. But not everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

guys

whats the deal with online dating...was thinking of giving it a go but not sure what sites are decent and which ones are full of kids like on tagged (i joined that for a day didnt know what was going on)

i have never done it before so im not sure what to make of it really

I suppose it would be too much to expect you to read back on all 72pages.general idea I think is that okcupid is the better one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Living at home isn't that much of an issue for me, but it would be a negative point. Thankfully, for my own sanity I don't live at home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

@Pepe LeFrits

I don't think it would be an issue for someone who does not live at home with the parents but possibly someone else who does live with the folks. Personally it would not bother me but then again I would probably be too old for you (I'm 39).

Have to say in general I've had some real giggles reading this thread and some wtf moments too. It has taken me days to read all the posts, glad to see it is up and running again.

I've had a mixed bag of experiences with the online thing, I first used it in 2000, met a great guy who I went out with for a year, in actual fact I have met most people through online datings, sometimes I'm nostalgic for the early days on online dating as there were little or no pics and now most people insist on them and most people judge your pic which as one poster said can be misleading, I recall one guy I met who was incredibly photogenic, was interesting to talk to via e-mail yet when I met him in real life he was not half as good looking and had little or no charisma. I've used pof, AF (anotherfriend), OkCupid and thought about using Match.com but it is pretty expensive. POF has the most users but it can be extremely frustrating too.

Id find it hugely hypocritical if someone that lived at home balked at the idea of dating someone who also lived at home.

Fair enough,if things progressed to a sexual level it could be problematic however to use it as a litmus tester for someone is a load of bollocks tbh.

As has been pointed out,there are literally tens of thousands of people that have lost their jobs and had to do this,should they not date until the move out again?

• Advertisement

We were asked how we'd feel about it,i gave my feeling about it. I think it's unreasonable to say something like that shouldn't have an effect on what you think.i mean its not like its about what money he's on.its about personality.like I would have to consider whether or not I would date a guy with a child.obviously its not really his fault he has a child but it doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed decide what I don't want in a guy

My last comment wasnt directed at you Stupi,twas more a general observation.

Id find it hugely hypocritical if someone that lived at home balked at the idea of dating someone who also lived at home.

Fair enough,if things progressed to a sexual level it could be problematic however to use it as a litmus tester for someone is a load of bollocks tbh.

As has been pointed out,there are literally tens of thousands of people that have lost their jobs and had to do this,should they not date until the move out again?

+1

It's bad enough for people that they have to move back to their parents, it shouldn't be made harder for them by having any potential dates make them feel like they are 17 again too!

Personally I don't have an issue with it, but I have my own place so it's not really a big issue in terms of logistics.

My last comment wasnt directed at you Stupi,twas more a general observation.

Ok.just i'm the only one saying it'd be a point of consideration... I suppose overall no that itself wouldn't be a problem its more about the attitude motivation and ambition of the guy i'd be aware of.not trying to equate living at home to being lazy,i just mean it'd be something down the road i'd be warey of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I live at home at the moment because I unfortunately have absolutely no other choice. It was hard to move home after living elsewhere for the past ten years, and I didn't do it lightly. It was a last resort. I want to leave as soon as possible. So I would understand it if someone I wanted to date lived at home. But where i would baulk is if that person actually liked living at home and had no intention of moving out pretty soon or as soon as possible. I'm talking about girls around my age by the way (I'm 28), or girls above my dating age cut-off point (25+).

By the way, that girl I met last Monday just invited herself to my town on Sunday for an extended second date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Everyone has their deal breakers.

Too old, too young, doesn't have a car, doesn't have their own place, has kids, too small, too skinny, too fat, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭inexperienced

no, i dont mind guys living at home.

now, another question guys/gals...

what would u do when u get online and see the person you are dating online?

do you say hi?

i met the guy yesterday in person for a walk (third date with him) and no kisses (im kinda shy and slow and he did not initiate as well, i am starting to think he might not be interested but his other behaviours told me otherwise........:rolleyes:). i saw him online tonight. he went offline first and i sent him an offline message about some yummy food we were talking abt when we met.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭inexperienced

magotch07 wrote: »
    guys

whats the deal with online dating...was thinking of giving it a go but not sure what sites are decent and which ones are full of kids like on tagged (i joined that for a day didnt know what was going on)

i have never done it before so im not sure what to make of it really

i've used another friend and pof. i think the good for pof is free and more people.there. just be careful and patient.

what would u do when u get online and see the person you are dating online?

I'm currently hovering on the homepage where it tells me the girl I've been messaging is online, wondering why she's not replying to the message I sent about an hour ago...

*attempts psychic powers*

messagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessageback
    messagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessageback.....

• Advertisement

I'm currently hovering on the homepage where it tells me the girl I've been messaging is online, wondering why she's not replying to the message I sent about an hour ago...

*attempts psychic powers*

messagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessageback
    messagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessagebackmessageback.....

She could be online by accident.
    I sometime log in on my phone and forget to close the app - I show up as online and when I turn on my laptop I've got angry messages from people I was allegedly ignoring :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement