Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

well depends on when you started going to Whelans.... because the working mans club reminds me of Whelans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

I think it was once pretentious, but not as much as it was. I didn't actually saw it was pretentious anyway. The Working Man's Club is an example of where the ultra-pretentious would currently go.

I know this as myself, and more-so my friends, would all be easily described as pretentious. And we go to Whelans and sometimes, The Working Man's Club. Where we discussed The Wire before it became a boxset smash, where debated Chaucer and Gawain, where we mock others for not knowing the difference between "should have and should of". Some of us wear turtle necks, others waist-coats. Lots of my friends are music snobs. There are lots of others like us there. So I think I can fairly say that there whilst it is not necessarily a pretentious place, there will be "too-cool-for-school" types there.

I am semi-joking about the above discussions!

If you're only semi-joking, then yup, you're definitely semi-pretentious! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

From experience I find that if I put too much effort into a mail then I sometimes get a reply saying " where did you copy that mail from" or " I bet you say that to all the girls" etc etc etc.

When I read a profile and find something we are both into I mention that and sometimes I get a reply but not always. Its an odd world this online thang!!

I have had some good experiences on dates and one really bad one ( i dont care what you want to do with a garden hose) but I missed the thrill of the chase in real life and have adapted my approach lately which seems to be working so I cancelled my POF as I got bored with it.

Sorry to go back on thread.........................Whelans you say eh??

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

frag420 wrote: »
    From experience I find that if I put too much effort into a mail then I sometimes get a reply saying " where did you copy that mail from" or " I bet you say that to all the girls" etc etc etc.

These women sound like idiots TBF. Better off without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Wouldn't say idiots really,cynical yeah.tbf while i've never said it to a guy I have thought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Only just getting back online myself and have been following this thread with interest. Been doing the online dating on and off for years with reasonable success, 4 out of last 7 gf's (over7 years) I met through dating sites.. some lasted 3 months, others over a year, same as ones I met IRL.

It takes a bit of effort as you need to be online regularly to show up near the top of search results or matches page. When I first contact someone I usually keep it short and either humorous (with one girl all we did was use father Ted quotes as subject line, and yes it worked :D) or ask them about something in their profile, if they like travel (who doesnt ;)) whats their fav place, etc. etc. Long-ish opening mails dont work as they come across way too serious and the 'hi hows it going', 'howya' or 'nice pic' emails dont work for obvious reasons.

It is a numbers game, of every 10 women that I contact (irrespective whether I send first mail or they do) theres usually 1 or 2 that I end up emailing back and forth couple times before it fizzles out and maybe 1 in 20 or 30 that gets to the stage of meeting up. I'm fairly selective who I contact tho and only send couple mails a week, if I was firing off a dozen emails every day it would be more like 1in 200 that'd even reply back ;)

POF and to lesser extend CS have been good to me :pac:

Wouldn't say idiots really,cynical yeah.tbf while i've never said it to a guy I have thought it.

Call me a cynical old fart, but I'm beginning to think that many women these days are so used to getting hit on by gormless tactless twats that they don't know a good thing when it comes along and are inherently suspicious of a man with a vocabulary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Galvasean wrote: »
    Call me a cynical old fart, but I'm beginning to think that many women these days are so used to getting hit on by gormless tactless twats that they don't know a good thing when it comes along and are inherently suspicious of a man with a vocabulary.

Yes, that's very cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 sara_q

FYI..I hear Tubs has a segment on online dating tonight on LLS. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Indeed gormless tactics are not the way forward...
    gormo tactics are!:pac:

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    Indeed gormless tactics are not the way forward...
    gormo tactics are!:pac:

*Googles 'gormo'*

WTF?!!? (possibly NSFW)

*Googles 'gormo'*

WTF?!!? (possibly NSFW)

you won't find gormo tactics on the googlesweb, I'm far too underground for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

sara_q wrote: »
    FYI..I hear Tubs has a segment on online dating tonight on LLS. :)

I generally find the media paint online dating as a place filled with desperate losers and creepy men. I just can't stomach that smug Tubridy, so do let us know what they saw about it on the late late.

I have my second date tommorow from OKCupid, I hope it goes as well as Galv's did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Good luck!

Ive now registered with OKC after reading all the posts on here but why do 90% of my matches have beards (no women luckily)?? Maybe they read my posts on here that I hate facial hair or are hairy men the only ones that join OKC??
    :rolleyes::eek:

panda100 wrote: »
    I have my second date tommorow from OKCupid, I hope it goes as well as Galv's did :)

Awesome, my name is now synonymous with success (it used to be neurotic-ism)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

So jealous of all your dates, I cant get a date, I just get strings of emails with chit chat :mad::mad:

Denisejcc wrote: »
    So jealous of all your dates, I cant get a date, I just get strings of emails with chit chat :mad::mad:

I had a date once...it was the 6th July..

(shamelessly taken from "Little Britain"..except for the actual date!)

I had a date once...it was the 6th July..

(shamelessly taken from "Little Britain"..except for the actual date!)

Ha ha I read that in the narrators voice/Tom Baker :D:D:D

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Ha ha I read that in the narrators voice/Tom Baker :D:D:D

thats the exact person I was quoting!

thats the exact person I was quoting!

Thought as much,,, I loooooove Little britain! Saw one the other night I had never seen before.. JACKPOT! :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You two should date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Piece on online dating on TLL now.

discussing the oul online dating on the Late Late right now.
    lovely hurlin'

They all seem to be ferociously ashamed of having been on the dating sites! Stigma is alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Speaking of the Late Late Show's dating piece, Breffny needs to be beaten with a bag of hammers.

Edit: Also, the chat is full of the usual stock conversation on dating. Men do X, women do Y.

This isnt a very positive view on online dating at all :confused:

I'm 5ft11" better change that to 6ft 5" so according to herself in the audience!

To be honest, it's to be expected. This thread is full of positive sentiments of the whole concept of online dating and you'd have to agree that this is the minority view, although the fact that it's all accumulated in this thread would lead you to believe that it's the norm. Realistically, society outside of this thread would not be as open to the notion as we would, so while the segment may seem ridiculous it's actually the majority view. Whether or not that should be the case is a different question obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm 5ft11" better change that to 6ft 5" so according to herself in the audience!

That kind of sentence from her was the sort of thing I was talking about earlier. Full of clichéd stuff about men and women.

• Advertisement

Ah here that couple John and Nicola in the audience were on that RTE show Don't Tell the Bride. And she is still a smoking hottie!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement