Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

Bloody hell, inspired by this thread I signed up to OkCupid last night, put up a photo and after staring perplexed at the description section for a good ten minutes put it off until sleep/coffee brought inspiration. Got back this evening and I already have a message (believe me I'm not that stunning and it was a pretty dreadful picture :p ). Either my entirely blank profile exudes an air of mystery and intrigue, or someone wants to harvest my kidneys :( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TechBoy2011

lol omniscient, have you by any chance got road frontage lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 2 functiondream

I agree, I met someone and had a relationship with him for 2 years. I would never have crossed his path otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The Online Dating thing has it's ups and downs.

This is my thoughts and of course they don't apply to everyone.

* In many ways I prefer meeting women when I'm out, online seems a little stilted but that's just me.

* Fill out your profiles and be fun! If I'm looking at a girl's profile and it's sparse it's hard to find something decent to message her with. Also when you're replying give some material back, something for the other person to "riff on" and have a decent conversation about.

For example once I messaged a girl, it was hard cos her profile was sparse. At the end of the message I said something along the lines of "So apart from your looks what would you say is the most interesting thing about you?". Her reply wasn't that exciting and her response to that particular question was "Nothing really, just normal, work during the week and go out the weekend", nothing really interesting there to talk about.

* I always find it much easier for me to be unique and interesting in a pub or club than online despite my best efforts. Online can be a little like shooting bullets into a lake and hoping you hit a fish, bit hit and miss. Out and about, things are a bit more high energy and fun.

* I also reckon that people shouldn't over rely on online dating in order to meet the opposite sex, use it more as an additional avenue to meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Seriously guy, if you are internet dating fill in your profile fully and put up photos (not taken with a webcam - they flatter nobody). I am so sick of getting e-mailed by guys with little or nothing on there profile. Do these guy really think myself and other women are that desperate to meet someone that they can reel us in with a more or less blank profile!!! I don't think so.

(Sorry if I seem annoyed but I just sick of time wasters)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭DA365

mood wrote: »
    Seriously guy, if you are internet dating fill in your profile fully and put up photos (not taken with a webcam - they flatter nobody). I am so sick of getting e-mailed by guys with little or nothing on there profile. Do these guy really think myself and other women are that desperate to meet someone that they can reel us in with a more or less blank profile!!! I don't think so.

I had a profile on 3 different websites that I NEVER had any pics on, but wrote a very thought provoking profile that displayed the type of person I was, my values, my goals, my ambitions and by personality, that profile got me TONS of messages and dates.

I'll be honest with you, the reason why I didn't put a picture up - and I said this in the profile - was because I had to interest in meeting anyone who was shallow enough to base their opinion on getting to know someone better on looks alone.

It's not about being desperate. I knew what I was looking for, and people who decide whether someone is worth getting to know or not based on a picture was something I wanted to avoid at all costs.

So there are reasons for this. You shouldn't judge people who may be structuring their profile in a way to attract a certain type of person that they want to meet.

DA365 wrote: »
    I had a profile on 3 different websites that I NEVER had any pics on, but wrote a very thought provoking profile that displayed the type of person I was, my values, my goals, my ambitions and by personality, that profile got me TONS of messages and dates.

I'll be honest with you, the reason why I didn't put a picture up - and I said this in the profile - was because I had to interest in meeting anyone who was shallow enough to base their opinion on getting to know someone better on looks alone.

It's not about being desperate. I knew what I was looking for, and people who decide whether someone is worth getting to know or not based on a picture was something I wanted to avoid at all costs.

So there are reasons for this. You shouldn't judge people who may be structuring their profile in a way to attract a certain type of person that they want to meet.

I'm not talking just about no photo up. I get message from guy with nothing on their profile except what was essential to join the site such as age, location etc. There is nothing there that would make me think 'he sounds nice' or 'oh, I've nothing in common with him'. Also, most of these guys will make a comment about my looks in the e-mail. The obviously are judging me buy my looks and often ignoring what I have written in my profile! To be honest I think a lot of guy who have no photo up could be married or in a relationship so that would be a major red flag for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭DA365

I'm not talking just about no photo up

At first I was like :)
    To be honest I think a lot of guy who have no photo up could be married or in a relationship so that would be a major red flag for me.

but then I was like :rolleyes:

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It seems a lot of women complain about this and yet i could say the same about a lot of womens profiles as well.

There are lot of female profiles with "I like having a laugh and going out to drink with friends at the weekends" or some variation on that.

• Advertisement

It seems a lot of women complain about this and yet i could say the same about a lot of womens profiles as well.

There are lot of female profiles with "I like having a laugh and going out to drink with friends at the weekends" or some variation on that.

I'm sure women must do it as well. It's just a waste of time and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Cut her some slack. I'm sure lots of people are wary of pictureless profiles (I know i certainly am).
    I'm glad the no pic policy has worked out for you, but personally I wouldnt be too keen on meeting up with someone who wouldn't show me a picture of themself.

The word of the day: PEOPLE. There are a lot of people out there with useless profiles male or female.
    I must agree though, nothing worse than a profile with virtually no info about the person.... Except for them telling you they don't respond to "hi how are you?" messages and want something original! Then at the end they say "Message me if you wanna know more!". They must not realise how hypocritical it is to demand in depth message from people when they themselves can't be arsed going into some detail on their profiles.

OKcupid just recommended me my ex.............. 87% match eh? Not too shabby! :pac:

The potential for hilarity here is awfully tempting...

:eek: And she's lying about her age!!!!

Galvasean wrote: »
    OKcupid just recommended me my ex.............. 87% match eh? Not too shabby! :pac:

That's so funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

Not sure if this is open to female opinions too but I have been going out with my boyfriend for the last year and I met him on Zoosk, I think it's a worldwide site but you can narrow it down to Ireland and whatever county ya want. Ya dont have to pay straight away as you have a certain amount of time to browse the site free. I think once you start chatting to someone repeatedly then you have to pay. Anyway I'd recommend it as when I was on it I talked to alot of nice normal guys and I'm sure there are plenty of nice girls on it.

Actually, her profile pic is from nearly ten years ago too.... Which brings me on to my next point. Does everyone lie about their age on these things. I was reading a profile that said "Hi I'm *******. I'm 19 and...." yet when you look at her date of birth on the side she is clearly 21.
    Gentlemen, be warned. They're tricky out there.

Actually, her profile pic is from nearly ten years ago too.... Which brings me on to my next point. Does everyone lie about their age on these things. I was reading a profile that said "Hi I'm *******. I'm 19 and...." yet when you look at her date of birth on the side she is clearly 21.

I haven't lied about my age and my pic is about 8 months old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

i tend to check the "last login" thing as well...

okcupid has been up for a long time.. you sure thats a recent profile?

i tend to check the "last login" thing as well...

okcupid has been up for a long time.. you sure thats a recent profile?

Well when I clicked in it said 'online now'. So yeah, I'd say it's recent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Do you mind me asking, is it a bit weird seeing your ex on a dating website?
    Have ye met each other since spotting one another (presuming shes seen her recent visitors on her profile page)
    i suppose it depends on what terms ye ended things, as in if ye are mates ye can joke about it, where as if ye are not really speaking, ye have "gossip about the ex" material!

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking, is it a bit weird seeing your ex on a dating website?

yeah, TBH I got a bit of a fright. :pac:
    papagormo wrote: »
    Have ye met each other since spotting one another (presuming shes seen her recent visitors on her profile page)
    i suppose it depends on what terms ye ended things, as in if ye are mates ye can joke about it, where as if ye are not really speaking, ye have "gossip about the ex" material!

We haven't met in person since. Meant to meet up at one point to see hows it going but it never really happened. Email the odd time on facebook. Sent her a message on OKcupid yesterday, "Now whats a nice girl like you doing ona site like this? :P" esque. she has yet to reply.... "I hope we can still be friends" indeed...

Time to let go Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Time to let go Sean.

nooooooooooo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hah! I honestly think my heart would literally pop out if she came up in the Quiver match or something!:pac:
    I called round to my ex once, thought I could handle it. About 10 mins in I was asking her to get back together, flat out rejected. I defriended her on Facebook and even untagged myself from every picture of us on it, very extreme measures I know but I realised I had to get over her, I was hurting myself every time I glimpsed at her page etc.
    It really is such a ballz trying to let go of both a lover and a best friend, a real double whammy kick in the teeth and it sure as hell takes time, but day by day you will start to let go, well I feckin hope so anyways or else I'm rightly goosed!:D

Been there,done that and took similar measures.Not an easy step to take but I found it kinda cathartic to finally cut the cord after months of being hopeful about getting back together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Have used them a few times during barren spells and have met some really nice people through them,a couple of which Im still mates with so I would say go for it.A couple of things I would say though.

- Try and meet up with the person relatively quickly,chatting online is all well and good but you wont know if there is any spark til a face to face meeting.

- Beware of cropped photos,ie headshots only.

- Dont take it too seriously or personally if people dont respond to your messages.

- Enjoy it for what it is,a bit of harmless fun.

Like this one :Dhttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs223.snc4/38510_407324392985_145826737985_4698169_5518735_n.jpg
    to this one http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs223.snc4/38510_407324392985_145826737985_4698169_5518735_n.jpg
    http://www.officialdatingresource.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/a1.jpg

http://www.officialdatingresource.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/a2.jpg

I think amazing people do that.They should be true to themselves and not afraid of what people think.If looking for something real they got to trust and find someone who likes them for them selves.

Ha ha ha,thats what I ment alright.

In fairness,the pic of the brunette in her onesie made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Is it bad that I just set up an okupid account the other day to see what all this internet dating is like and actually know a fair few people from my searches :p

Nope,it just proves that more and more people are doing it which is good as it will remove some of the stigma that is still attached to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Ha ha ha,thats what I ment alright.

In fairness,the pic of the brunette in her onesie made me laugh out loud.

Reminds me of this story MARSEILLES, France -- Skirt-chasing playboy Daniel Anceneaux spent weeks talking with a sensual woman on the Internet before arranging a romantic rendezvous at a remote beach -- and discovering that his on-line sweetie of six months was his own mother!

So many more of them stories.:D

• Advertisement

Oh holy jaysus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement