Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

I'm inclined to agree.

The amount of these mails I get is very frustrating!

I'm sure there has to be at least one nice/normal guy online that I'd click with :rolleyes:

Mind you, I did have a 60yr old man ask me to meet him at 6.30 for a drink in a bar in Dundrum... said he'd be outside smoking, described what he was wearing... we could have a coffee, then back to mine...fee was no problem! :eek:

WOW lucky you, what was he like, was he nice!?:D;):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Mind you, I did have a 60yr old man ask me to meet him at 6.30 for a drink in a bar in Dundrum... said he'd be outside smoking, described what he was wearing... we could have a coffee, then back to mine...fee was no problem! :eek:

:eek: wow.

frustrating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I'm inclined to agree.

The amount of these mails I get is very frustrating!

I'm sure there has to be at least one nice/normal guy online that I'd click with :rolleyes:

that was you?? you left me standing outside in the wind for ages before i gave up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Believe me I know all this in theory, of course theres nothing to lose but still doesnt make me ask them! :mad:

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why?

I suppose I just assume they will say No! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

WOW lucky you, what was he like, was he nice!?:D;):P

He was amazing... and best of all, he didn't know how to text speak!!

:eek: wow.

frustrating stuff.
    that was you?? you left me standing outside in the wind for ages before i gave up! :pac:

I'm very sorry, I would just feel bad taking your pension.... :P

Seriously though, it seems to be very hard to weed out the pervy old men! :(

Look at it this way:
    If you don't ask it's an automatic no.
    If you do ask you might get a yes.
    Now I'm no statistician, but I know which option gives you the better chance of securing a date.

I'm very sorry, I would just feel bad taking your pension.... :P

Seriously though, it seems to be very hard to weed out the pervy old men! :(

i dressed up pretty well for the date too :(

n22771864906_643997_7745.jpg?dl=1

Tempted as I am to send out a strongly worded email I sense the futility in such,

Saw her online on OKcupid today. My blood boiled for a minute, so I signed to prevent myself from doing something stupid. So I logged back in and decided to mail her (she's not worth the credit of a text message at this point).
    the mail wrote:
    Hi. Look, if you didn't want to meet up again or changed your mind or whatever that's alright with me. It would however have been decent of you to have let me known instead of implementing the cold shoulder routine and left me wondering.
    Short and to the point. It's too late for me, but hopefully if she bothers her arse to read it (she probably won't) she might realise how rude she has been to me and it might just save the next poor bugger a bit of grief in future.
    She's all yours lads.

i dressed up pretty well for the date too :(

n22771864906_643997_7745.jpg?dl=1

Well if I'd known you were that attractive, I'd have paid for the coffee, taken you home and then paid you a lovely fee :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A question that's never asked, doesn't have an anwser.

You say "they," so I'm assuming there is more then 1 guy you've been in contact with over a site. If the first person you feel more interested in says no, you've got a second guy to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

From the point of view of many men, this is a very annoying attitude. I'm not having a go at you (at all!! :)); I'm attacking the attitude.

You would think that women who join dating sites are more progressive and open to actively seeking a relationship. Yet many just sign up and wait for the men to come calling. That, presumably, is the same attitude that's failed many of these women in the real-world. You've such a great opportunity to meet loads of nice guys online, yet when you sign up you just do the equivalent of sitting there with your arms folded, waiting for the man to make the move. And often they will make the move; but if they don't, you should. Like Galvasean said, you have NOTHING to lose, and everything to gain. It's win-win. Sure, you'll be rejected a few times (there's not a single man alive who hasn't been rejected at some point), but suck it up. It's not like you actually have to face that person, and besides, eventually, you will meet a nice guy on it. It's a numbers game, and ultimately they're stacked in your favour. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Denise i'm the same about rejection,not terrible likely i'd be turned down and if I am most guys do it quite decently but its still hard to deal with.but sean's right,dont ask dont get :)

Tremelo wrote: »
    From the point of view of many men, this is a very annoying attitude. I'm not having a go at you (at!! :)); I'm attacking the attitude.

You would think that women who join dating sites are more progressive and open to actively seeking a relationship. Yet many just sign up and wait for the men to come calling. That, presumably, is the same attitude that's failed many of these women in the real-world. You've such a great opportunity to meet loads of nice guys online, yet when you sign up you just do the equivalent of sitting there with your arms folded, waiting for the man to make the move. And often they will make the move; but if they don't, you should. Like Galvasean said, you have NOTHING to lose, and everything to gain. It's win-win. Sure, you'll be rejected a few times (there's not a single man alive who hasn't been rejected at some point), but suck it up. It's not like you actually have to face that person, and besides, eventually, you will meet a nice guy on it. It's a numbers game, and ultimately they're stacked in your favour. :)

I am happy to make the initial contact with a guy. I'm always surprised at how many mail me back and say it's rare for a girl to make the first move. I agree with above post, you'd think that girls would be more proactive, especially since they've taken the time to set up a profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I am happy to make the initial contact with a guy. I'm always surprised at how many mail me back and say it's rare for a girl to make the first move. I agree with above post, you'd think that girls would be more proactive, especially since they've taken the time to set up a profile.

From reading your posts on this page of this thread alone, I'd say you do very well too, or will soon. Great sense of humour. Goes a LONG way :)

It takes courage to ask someone. Where I come from, Canada, courage is something to be admired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It takes courage to ask someone. Where I come from, Canada, courage is something to be admired.

I hope you're the first to get eaten by zombies when the Zompocalypse comes.

From reading your posts on this page of this thread alone, I'd say you do very well too, or will soon. Great sense of humour. Goes a LONG way :)

I get lots of mails, I have a good picture up... the problem is that a lot of the mails I get are one liners, or looking for NSA, or just say... you're hot!! :o Good for the ego, but not for changing the relationship status :p

liah wrote: »
    I hope you're the first to get eaten by zombies when the Zompocalypse comes.

Careful what you wish for...

8320_294932715474_525540474_9551884_5474347_n.jpg

Psst, am working on that movie this week. If you're nice to me I'll tell you more.

How nice? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Also, as an aside, I really have a thing about the importance of good conversations, which I really emphasised in my profile description. I suggest *coffee* because I actually don't drink. If meeting in the evening, coffees can be had in pubs too, and the girl can order whatever she feels like obviously. I also emphasised in my profile that I'm not into the pub scene. So many people are only comfortable with the opposite sex in the pub, that it's sort of one my tests: "are you at ease interacting socially and being yourself with a stranger in a non-alcohol situation?" I realise this will seem weird to people who drink, but being a twenty-something non-drinker in Ireland isn't easy from a social pov, and it's important for me to establish early on that a potential partner is okay with hanging out in non-pubby places with me :)
    Couldn't agree more!

Ps not having a go but girls who 'can't ' ask a guy out drive me up the wall!

Galv, good mail

bluewolf wrote: »
    Galv, good mail

Would have worded it more strongly, but for fear of being reported for abuse / stalking or some such BS. I think people who treat others in such a callous manner deserve to get called out on it. Heck, to be perfectly honest, I think they need to be taken aside and told to kop onto themselves.

What site do you guys find the best?

Is POF just full of time wasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

You know after reading so many threads about boardsies struggling with online dating and asking for advice etc I am very tempted to set up a private facebook group or something where people can join if they are the type of person that is struggling... a place to go if they need advice or just to talk... who knows you might even find that the person of your dreams is a boardsie!!

One of the people posting here lately is someone I have met in real life and certainly is a very beautiful young woman with a lot going for her!! In fact I miss her a lot since she moved away :(

Nevertheless opinions welcome..... if such a facebook group existed would you join?

What site do you guys find the best?

Is POF just full of time wasters?

I am on POF and OKcupid and I get a lot more attention on POF!! My profiles are pretty much the same on both so I am not sure what the difference is....

What is your experience so far oompaloompa? No messages? People looking for just sex? One liner messages?

kingtut wrote: »
    You know after reading so many threads about boardsies struggling with online dating and asking for advice etc I am very tempted to set up a private facebook group or something where people can join if they are the type of person that is struggling... a place to go if they need advice or just to talk... who knows you might even find that the person of your dreams is a boardsie!!

One of the people posting here lately is someone I have met in real life and certainly is a very beautiful young woman with a lot going for her!! In fact I miss her a lot since she moved away :(

Nevertheless opinions welcome..... if such a facebook group existed would you join?

I'm not a fan of facebook, but I do think it's a good idea.

I enjoy this thread a lot, it's great to hear people's honest views and opinions on ID.

we can bitch about it in person on saturday night, before spending the next while asking strangers if they'll shift the person sitting beside you.

I am on POF and OKcupid and I get a lot more attention on POF!! My profiles are pretty much the same on both so I am not sure what the difference is....

What is your experience so far oompaloompa? No messages? People looking for just sex? One liner messages?

I'm on POF, and I find a lot of people looking for sex, or one liner messages from men who haven't bothered to fill out their profile. There is no way I'm replying to someone who has filled their profile with 'ask ask ask' :rolleyes:

I took the time to fill out my profile openly and honestly, so I don't think it's much to ask that others make a similar effort.

Do you have a photo up on both sites?

I have a photo on POF, and I often wonder should I take it down. By doing so, would I seriously decrease my chances of getting genuine mails?

I would if I were still in Ireland. Why does the good stuff happen after I leave? :mad:

Seems I'm the Blitz. :o

• Advertisement

we can bitch about it in person on saturday night, before spending the next while asking strangers if they'll shift the person sitting beside you.

Sorry but I have no clue what you are going on about :confused: can you please explain it to me.... :o
    I'm on POF, and I find a lot of people looking for sex, or one liner messages from men who haven't bothered to fill out their profile. There is no way I'm replying to someone who has filled their profile with 'ask ask ask' :rolleyes:

I took the time to fill out my profile openly and honestly, so I don't think it's much to ask that others make a similar effort.

Do you have a photo up on both sites?

I have a photo on POF, and I often wonder should I take it down. By doing so, would I seriously decrease my chances of getting genuine mails?

Yes I have a photo on both sites and while removing your photos WILL decrease the number of messages you get I would not advise it. The reason being that like it or not most people go for both looks and personality (for me it is about 45% looks and 55% personality) but I would not email someone who had no photo. The reason being is they might be easy to talk to but if I don't find them attractive then it would be too difficult (harsh maybe but true!!!).

From some of the messages I get it seems like girls email me based on my photos and don't always read my profile (based on the questions they ask which are answered on my profile).
    liah wrote: »
    I would if I were still in Ireland. Why does the good stuff happen after I leave? :mad:

Seems I'm the Blitz. :o

Are you refering to the facebook thing? I'm not sure as you did not quote my post.... :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement