Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yeah, I am, sorry. Getting lazy with quoting lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

liah wrote: »
    Yeah, I am, sorry. Getting lazy with quoting lately.

No problem ha :)

Well my thinking is that you would see everyones facebook (or other site) photo and perhaps think I want to find out more at which point you could give them a link to their dating site profile...

My reason being that so many boardsies are looking for a bf / gf so what better way than to get some boardsies together, in fact two people that met at one of my meetups now have a baby together and another couple just moved in together.

On second thoughts, it is a stupid idea the facebook thing but oh well :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kingtut wrote: »
    Sorry but I have no clue what you are going on about :confused: can you please explain it to me.... :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056251872

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

Yes I have a photo on both sites and while removing your photos WILL decrease the number of messages you get I would not advise it. The reason being that like it or not most people go for both looks and personality (for me it is about 45% looks and 55% personality) but I would not email someone who had no photo. The reason being is they might be easy to talk to but if I don't find them attractive then it would be too difficult (harsh maybe but true!!!).

From some of the messages I get it seems like girls email me based on my photos and don't always read my profile (based on the questions they ask which are answered on my profile).

I have left my photo up so far. I guess I'm a little disillusioned with the sheer volume of lazy emails I get.

I try to make an effort when mailing a guy, I think it's important to show your personality off as much as you can. It's all too easy to just send generic emails to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

ahhhh thanks lol didn't know about the meetup!!
    I have left my photo up so far. I guess I'm a little disillusioned with the sheer volume of lazy emails I get.

I try to make an effort when mailing a guy, I think it's important to show your personality off as much as you can. It's all too easy to just send generic emails to everyone.

I get my fair share of lazy emails also like "hi" "how are you" etc. Don't give up hope anyway, these things take time :) Personality is a big plus and going by your posts you have bags of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have a photo on POF, and I often wonder should I take it down. By doing so, would I seriously decrease my chances of getting genuine mails?

I don't use POF, but on other sites I generally filter out profiles with no photos as personally I wouldn't be interested in a 'blind date'. Also, it would be a waste of time if we got mailing or whatever and then I just didn't fancy her physically, a waste of time for both of us.
    I don't pick women purely on looks either. If they are dull, boring, nasty, stupid etc. it wouldn't matter if they looked like Scarlet Johanson.
    For me a women must be sound of both body and mind (picky bugger that I am).
    On second thoughts, it is a stupid idea the facebook thing but oh well :o:o

A noble effort. Perhaps speed dating would suit us better? Actually, wasn't someone on here trying to organize that before? Did it fizzle out or what?

Galvasean wrote: »
    I don't use POF, but on other sites I generally filter out profiles with no photos as personally I wouldn't be interested in a 'blind date'. Also, it would be a waste of time if we got mailing or whatever and then I just didn't fancy her physically, a waste of time for both of us.
    I don't pick women purely on looks either. If they are dull, boring, nasty, stupid etc. it wouldn't matter if they looked like Scarlet Johanson.
    For me a women must be sound of both body and mind (picky bugger that I am).

A noble effort. Perhaps speed dating would suit us better? Actually, wasn't someone on here trying to organize that before? Did it fizzle out or what?

Speed dating would be so much fun! Never been brave enough to do it though!

If we're talking about dating other boardsies now, I'll take whichever one is willing to export :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Speed dating would be so much fun! Never been brave enough to do it though!

The one that I went on was a scam. The organiser had bussed some of her mates down for the night - including married & engaged ones :eek:.

Personally I love it when she makes the first move & the lack of a pic would not put me off.

The most annoying sites are the ones that make you fill in loads of info before you can search & discover that they only have 3 people within a hundred miles of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'm not especially looking for the right girl, just one that isn't a foul temptress that will lead me on before casting me aside as callously as one would the Metro newspaper.

Tempted as I am to send out a strongly worded email I sense the futility in such, so instead I will post a picture of me slaying a demon...

Castlevania-Lords-of-Shadow-Demon-Slaying.jpg&sa=X&ei=_KnJTbfOMY2WhQfy17WtDQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNE1glKAnmuRy7U-C3W_t7npLfwedw

Much better.

Off-topic but dying to know
    Whats that pic from ?

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    The one that I went on was a scam. The organiser had bussed some of her mates down for the night - including married & engaged ones :eek:.

Personally I love it when she makes the first move & the lack of a pic would not put me off.

Wow that's awful! How did you know?

I think I'd enjoy it cos I would talk to the wall! I'm pretty friendly and easy-going, and since I think I put people at ease very quickly, I reckon I'd really enjoy it.

InReality wrote: »
    Off-topic but dying to know
    Whats that pic from ?

One of the new Castlevania games I think. I just googled 'daemon slaying'.

Pity about that speed dating thing. I was told I was too young to attend :rolleyes:

Thought I'd sin up for POF, what the heck do I put down as my postcode? It wont let me progress without one... :confused:

I don't imagine anyone knows of anymore international non-paid sites that would have German people on it?

I've no idea what sites people in this country use. OkCupid doesn't seem to have many at all in my area.

Thought I'd sin up for POF, what the heck do I put down as my postcode? It wont let me progress without one... :confused:

usually four zeros works in postcode fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

i always use 0000

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't imagine anyone knows of anymore international non-paid sites that would have German people on it?

I've no idea what sites people in this country use. OkCupid doesn't seem to have many at all in my area.

they use all the "cheat on your spouse now!" sites, judging by the ads :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    they use all the "cheat on your spouse now!" sites, judging by the ads :eek:

Well that's.. encouraging.. :(

Well that's.. encouraging.. :(

yeah it's pretty depressing how blatant it was

Haha, found one of ya'all on POF

• Advertisement

halp

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

If Any Boardies come across me, make sure ta say hi haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

I agree, I used to have a profile up there but took it down, I sent proper emails, alot of them, checking their profile for stuff I could talk about or relate to in the email. I got maybe 4 or 5 responses over a year or something. They all went something along the lines of "hehe that's funny" or "yes that's true". I wasn't pleased, especially after I took the time to write a proper email to all of them.

At the moment I'm on that Adult Friend Finder site to see if I could get anything from it, gf, short or long term, one night, didn't matter. I paid for the gold membership so I could email women, I sent about 60 so far, that's in about 90 days, I've gotten only a few responses along the same lines as before. It's really annoying to think that I'm paying something like 50 euro for a few months to get crappy replies, and few at that.

Alot of profiles are also fake, and I mean alot. Regardless of whether you email someone, instant message or flash chat them, it seems to always be the same story, practically nobody replies.

Very disheartening. Sorry if I put anyone off the online dating thing but for me it all seems very shallow and fake, I'm happy for the people who have found someone though hehe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Haha, found one of ya'all on POF

It's pretty much just boardsies that tend to come up for me on OKC :confused:
    amandaf675 wrote: »
    If Any Boardies come across me, make sure ta say hi haha

How'd we know it's you? Got a secret code in yer profile ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Looks like I'm back to square one. No contact in a while. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Lenmeister wrote: »
    At the moment I'm on that Adult Friend Finder site to see if I could get anything from it, gf, short or long term, one night, didn't matter. I paid for the gold membership so I could email women,

AFF?? Sorry Op you get what you pay for on that site!

Well update - guy I asked out said yes, he would love to meet up! Oooohhhh :P

My sister joined OKC yesterday. more profile views in one day than I've gotten since joining and more emails than I get in a month.
    I'm the pretty one goddammit!

My sister joined OKC yesterday. more profile views in one day than I've gotten since joining and more emails than I get in a month.
    I'm the pretty one goddammit!

Saw your pics in 'know your clubbers'.... you're not bad ;)

*hunts for galvasean on POF*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Saw your pics in 'know your clubbers'.... you're not bad ;)

*hunts for galvasean on POF*

Hmm I have a feeling I sent him a mail and he deleted it unread. :(:(

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    Hmm I have a feeling I sent him a mail and he deleted it unread. :(:(

If it was on plenty of fish then it wasn't me since I only signed up yesterday and have yet to recieve a mail.
    Heck i dont recall being mailed by a girl on any site (as in without me mailing first) in quite a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement