Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

If a girl initiates the first email/message do you think guys sometimes reply out of politeness? (since according to this thread anyway it's relatively rare for a girl to send the first message)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hollypink wrote: »
    If a girl initiates the first email/message do you think guys sometimes reply out of politeness? (since according to this thread anyway it's relatively rare for a girl to send the first message)

Politeness maybe...

I'd be of the opinion if someone messaged me, it's because they noticed something of interest. So i'd be inclined to get back to them to see what they are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've received quite a few messages from girls but I ignored them as they were mostly just "hey hun, how r u?" type messages. If a girl sent me a nice message I always replied out of genuine interest (if I was genuinely interested). Sometimes I replied out of politeness, but this can lead to problems (offence being caused by rejection).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

When it comes to online dating and women, i would expect more women to initiate and send a e-mail/message. I would always reply back regardless of the girl/profile, its manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I thought politeness would be a factor alright. I don't send those 'how ru?' messages, I put in a little effort!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I thought politeness would be a factor alright. I don't send those 'how ru?' messages, I put in a little effort!

Well done! Its rare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Yes I agree all of those Hi, How are you today? messages are deleted, dont even bother checking out the profile. I remember one guy had on his profile to ask him any 6 questions you want... so I went to the bother of thinking up 6 funny questions referencing comments in his profile and he didnt reply!??? :mad: after all that effort :D:rolleyes:

Denisejcc wrote: »
    so I went to the bother of thinking up 6 funny questions referencing comments in his profile and he didnt reply!??? :mad: after all that effort :D:rolleyes:

You should've replied back with six answers for him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

Tremelo wrote: »
    I've received quite a few messages from girls but I ignored them as they were mostly just "hey hun, how r u?" type messages. If a girl sent me a nice message I always replied out of genuine interest (if I was genuinely interested). Sometimes I replied out of politeness, but this can lead to problems (offence being caused by rejection).

I tend to ignore one liners really.

I do try to make an effort in my mails to people. (see my post earlier from he who shall be known as 'prick' from now on)

This thread is addictive!! :o

Vanbis wrote: »
    You should've replied back with six answers for him :pac:

Ha ha true :D

• Advertisement

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Yes I agree all of those Hi, How are you today? messages are deleted, dont even bother checking out the profile. I remember one guy had on his profile to ask him any 6 questions you want... so I went to the bother of thinking up 6 funny questions referencing comments in his profile and he didnt reply!??? :mad: after all that effort :D:rolleyes:

Was this on POF? I think I was ignored too!! :confused:

It actually is! Three cheers for King Henry!

It actually is! Three cheers for King Henry!

That post makes me wonder why I'm participating in the Gentleman's Club thread, and not TLL?!!!

That post makes me wonder why I'm participating in the Gentleman's Club thread, and not TLL?!!!

Because you're seeking the male pov ;)

Was this on POF? I think I was ignored too!! :confused:

Ha ha yeah its was on POF, thats mad! :D

Because you're seeking the male pov ;)

Thanks for clearing that up!

It's funny, I think I'm pretty happy with my profile and how I approach the ID world so I'm not really here looking for advice... but I do find this thread interesting and I find myself looking at mails from guys, wondering is he a boardsie!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Saw your pics in 'know your clubbers'.... you're not bad ;)

*hunts for galvasean on POF*

Latest from Oompa Loompa's world of ID......:D

How can anyone be so ignorant :rolleyes:

^^ Looks like she found me :pac:

Maguined wrote: »
    If OKC puts her forward to you as a match it will be a bit freaky! :eek:

It put me forward as a match for her. We have SO much in common... ESPECIALLY DNA!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

woot!! I've got a reply and not a one-liner for once :D

*does happy dance*

Does anyone else think the 'meet me' app on POF is a bit weird....148 men want to meet me apparently... that's why they go to such effort in their mails... 'Hey hun', 'hi sxc'.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I'm much more amused by the fact that they have to tell people that 'antiques' are not a good ice breaker.

Even though that ranks at 7 on the list of sh*t topics. The other ones are actually really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Really not liking POF. The layout is very cluttered and all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Does anyone else think the 'meet me' app on POF is a bit weird....148 men want to meet me apparently... that's why they go to such effort in their mails... 'Hey hun', 'hi sxc'.... :rolleyes:
    Haha just goes to show what the ratio of guys to girls are on these sites! So you get 2 word intros and I get 2 word answers? This online thing is quite hard! Anyone else think so too? ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Galvasean wrote: »
    Really not liking POF. The layout is very cluttered and all over the place.
    Really? I always thought it was ok before I left it, not sure what it's like now, same as 18months ago? The search thingy is pretty simple, though I guess the profile was always a bit blah looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Meetic have a clever wheeze. If several women visit your profile, in any one day, they stop notifying you - making the excuse that they don't want to disturb :rolleyes:. But you have to pay to see who has visited your profile.

So you get mails saying that lots of women have viewed your profile as an inducement to part with your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The 'meet me' thing on POF is definitely a bit suspect. I have over 200 people wanting to meet me yet none ever mail me. I have mailed a couple I took a fancy too and they never replied or replied with thanks but no thanks emails!

One guy even said I just wasn't attractive enough for him to date! Bleedin cheek! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any of these sites that claim to make a personality assessment from responses to a questionnaire are very suspect. A friend badgered me to do this on eHarmony. It took ages & even she admitted that their personality profile was nothing like me !.

Dovies wrote: »
    The 'meet me' thing on POF is definitely a bit suspect. I have over 200 people wanting to meet me yet none ever mail me. I have mailed a couple I took a fancy too and they never replied or replied with thanks but no thanks emails!

One guy even said I just wasn't attractive enough for him to date! Bleedin cheek! :eek:

Some people really do forget their manners just cos they're hiding behind a computer screen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Some people really do forget their manners just cos they're hiding behind a computer screen :rolleyes:

Totally agree with that. A person can be anyone behind a computer screen. Even with a profile picture up, its still very much a blind date scenario

• Advertisement

It doesn't take much to be nice or to be mannerly towards someone even if your not attracted to that person. You could easly get along and stirke up a a friendship along the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement