Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just a thought but what size would you expect if a woman described her body shape as "Average" ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The average in Ireland is above average, if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Discodog wrote: »
    Just a thought but what size would you expect if a woman described her body shape as "Average" ?.

hmm, it's a tough one. i would put myself down as average, meaning i'm not overweight, but not skinny either. well i'd be called skinny by some people, and maybe a few more if i'd less of a tummy :o I'd imagine though that there's probably a few that would call themselves average, that are a little more.

:D

The dating sites should define "average" as a dress or trouser size !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

hmm, it's a tough one. i would put myself down as average, meaning i'm not overweight, but not skinny either.

That is the answer i would expect when i see average on a profie.

• Advertisement

Vanbis wrote: »
    That is the answer i would expect when i see average on a profie.

yeah, I wouldn't, i'd assume it's a little more overweight. this is the problem with abstract descriptions like that.

is it that you haven't seen a picture of her?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The average dress size for women in Ireland today is 16-18

is it that you haven't seen a picture of her?

Not at all. If they say average then they are neither skinny or over weight in my opinion. Maybe i am wrong?

Vanbis wrote: »
    Not at all. If they say average then they are neither skinny or over weight in my opinion. Maybe i am wrong?

oh sorry, i meant that in reference to the original question, if he's asking what average might mean, did he not see a picture of her?

oh sorry, i meant that in reference to the original question, if he's asking what average might mean, did he not see a picture of her?

Oh right he didn't mention a picture. My own opinion is someone who says they are average is neither skinny or over weight like you said is how you'd describe yourself. Id describe myself as average too.

• Advertisement

Well we all know that the camera can lie :D. Anyway I am not obsessed about size. It just made me think about what we perceived by average.

According to M&S it was size 12 in 1988 & size 14 by 2000 so by now it's probably closer to size 16.

And please don't think me sexiest. I think that we need an equivalent for men :D.

EDIT: Just seen a profile of a girl who described herself as average size & she's about a 12 !

It is entirely dependant on her projected online image, as opposed to her statistical mean body mass which, being described as average, would mean she was overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

And please don't think me sexiest..

You sure you don't want women to think of you as "sexiest"? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

The average dress size for women in Ireland today is 16-18
    Erm,may go and change mine so,always said i was average but i'm a size 8.agree that dress sizes or a more descriptive options should be given,what's average in one persons mind definitly isn't average in anothers.

Ye Gods can you imagine emailing someone to ask for their "Statistical mean body mass" - is that like a Novena !

That's how I roll, dog.:cool:

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Erm,may go and change mine so,always said i was average but i'm a size 8.agree that dress sizes or a more descriptive options should be given,what's average in one persons mind definitly isn't average in anothers.

Surely it depends on age. If you are an 8 I would describe you as slim.

Good user name btw - could mean yeah I am here or yea him here !. Good job the size 8 clarifies things ......or does it !

yeahimhere wrote: »

I'd say a size 8 is more like slim, 10-12 average. sure all you can do is judge it yourself.
    Ye Gods can you imagine emailing someone to ask for their "Statistical mean body mass" - is that like a Novena !

yeah don't think some would like to answer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

I'd say a size 8 is more like slim, 10-12 average. sure all you can do is judge it yourself.

I'd consider size 10 slim, except maybe of you're five foot or under. At 5'3" and size 10, I'd be considered a slim person, though that could be down to my build too. Size 12 would be average, except if you're really tall, then it would be slim.

I'd consider size 10 slim, except maybe of you're five foot or under. Size 12 would be average, except if you're really tall, then it would be slim.

mmm, but that's what i'm saying it's all a matter of opinion really. they are only descriptive words after all. it'd be a good idea to ask for a picture anyway if you're wondering about this sorta thing.

• Advertisement

mmm, but that's what i'm saying it's all a matter of opinion really. they are only descriptive words after all. it'd be a good idea to ask for a picture anyway if you're wondering about this sorta thing.

TBH, I really think size 10 is considered an all round slim size for most heights. Size 8 could be slim or gaunt depending on height. Size 12 could be dumpy, average or slim depending on height. Size 10 is the middle ground between the two.

But I agree, full-length photos FTW. Face only can be deceptive.

Maybe we need to factor in the impression that dress sizes are getting smaller, that yesterdays 12 is now a 10.

And if the girls can't agree on the meaning of average what chance have we got !.

TBH, I really think size 10 is considered an all round slim size for most heights. Size 8 could be slim or gaunt depending on height. Size 12 could be dumpy, average or slim depending on height. Size 10 is the middle ground between the two.

But I agree, full-length photos FTW. Face only can be deceptive.

oh I know what you're saying, but what i'm saying is that what I would call slim or average or overweight is probably quite different to what other's would call the same. i mean lots of people have called me skinny, but i'm not skinny exactly, as the way I see it. the only way of really understanding what someone is is by seeing a picture, (or in real life) or by knowing their dress size.

anyway this has kinda gone off topic now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Maybe we need to factor in the impression that dress sizes are getting smaller, that yesterdays 12 is now a 10.

Are they really? There is such wide variance in dress sizes in different brands and shops

And if the girls can't agree on the meaning of average what chance have we got !.

Actually, because of vanity sizing, sizes are getting BIGGER in a lot of shops. Wait, I think that's what you meant though, right? :)

I think people should go by measurements to determine their dress size, because shop sizes can't be trusted any more. Like, I know by my bust, waist and hip measurements that I'm a size 10.

I would consider average to mean not slim but not overweight, not the average for Ireland.

I was shopping for jeans yesterday and I only realised then that all the 30"s were under the size 12 section, never realised that 30 was a 12. I take size 10 in everything. so yeah shops sizes aren't the most reliable unfortunately. but you could get the general idea.

There is an interesting article here:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article7100795.ece

Dress sizes are becoming inconsistent depending on the retailer & the age group that they sell to.

Good to have the Gentlemen's Club discussing dress sizing. Presumably bigger sizes make it easier for us to get a frock that fits :D

Any guys brave enough to put a photo on their dating profile of them in a dress ? !.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article7100795.ece

Dress sizes are becoming inconsistent depending on the retailer & the age group that they sell to.

Good to have the Gentlemen's Club discussing dress sizing. Presumably bigger sizes make it easier for us to get a frock that fits :D

It seems we are not lone in getting it wrong now and again :pac:

Yup, I ignore shop sizing now relative to my actual size and just go with what fits.

To determine my actual size, I use this useful chart I found on the Asos website:

http://www.asos.com/infopages/SizeGuide/pgesizechart.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Yup, I ignore shop sizing now relative to my actual size and just go with what fits.

To determine my actual size, I use this useful chart I found on the Asos website:

http://www.asos.com/infopages/SizeGuide/pgesizechart.aspx

Whiskey, condoms, shaving foam, a rant about Gillette razors, aftershave, replacing the cable on a strimmer, oil, head gaskets, screwdrivers, wd40, deadlifts, silege... Among the hundreds of manly topics that could be discussed.

But no. Dress sizes.

Lads get it together will ye!

On topic... Should I actually message this woman that keeps viewing my profile, and if I do, how do I approach it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement