Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

amandaf675 wrote: »
    jesus... i never have mail on pof :(

Do you have photos?

If you like, you can have some of my mail? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Yup i have photos Up :)

haha i feel unloved now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Chin up. Your better off getting a good mail once in a blue moon than hundreds of useless ones every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Gillo wrote: »
    Really is it, thats great because I wasn't sure.
    You are going to reply now aren't you? like soon...

Seriously though, I was chatting to someone like that for a short while, mails were grand it was only when we started texting each other, complete nightmare if I didn't write back within five minutes there was another text; "where are you? / "Write back please". I'd definitely be ignoring them Oompa.

oh yeah, speaking of "not wanting to let go" I checked my credit card statement this morning and it turns out a site I had been using actually run a rolling subscription and had charged me €100 since the start of the year despite me not having signed in since mid Dec, it's my own fault for not checking my statements each month but as I hadn't being using card for anything I didn't bother looking at them (so yeah my own fault), but just in case anyone else out there is paying for a site, just make sure you're aware if it's a subscription or a once off payment.
    Yea every paid site I've seen (primarily match.com) is like that "Get a subscription FREE for one euro your first month and €30 quid rolling subscription".

They also only accept credit card, or something that can be debited automatically, and the promotions are obviously just to get your card hooked into the system; turns me right away from those sites, as it's plainly dishonest; they must make a lot of their money from scamming people on the subscription smallprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

In fairness, there wasn't a discounted rate to hook me in just a lot more features and it was my own fault so I'm not knocking the site at all, I actually found the paid features to be pretty good at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Galvasean wrote: »
    So the sis continues her experiments in online dating. She set up a POF account yesterday at about 7pm. She now has 16 pages of mails. That's right 16 pages, not 16 individual mails, 16 PAGES. Bear in mind there are 10 messages per page :eek:
    All this from setting up an account, filling it in, uploading photos and buggering off for a while.
    Puts things into perspective for me, ie: don't feel discouraged if girls don't reply lads. They probably can't handle all the mail!

That site struck me as being full of people just looking to get there leg over when i used it and i bet a lot of the messages are of that nature. Still 16 pages is unbelievable. Must be pretty overwhelming as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

Larianne wrote: »
    Or Block user. ;)

She can try it....but I'll just PM her Boards account if she does.

Damn it oompaloompa why wont you just love me ;)

Mind you, I did have a 60yr old man ask me to meet him at 6.30 for a drink in a bar in Dundrum... said he'd be outside smoking, described what he was wearing... we could have a coffee, then back to mine...fee was no problem! :eek:
    mstan wrote: »
    She can try it....but I'll just PM her Boards account if she does.

Damn it oompaloompa why wont you just love me ;)

I'll love you anytime mstan.... five dolla suit you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I received a couple of messages of a girl today. Even though i'd normally reply just to be polite, i really think it's not a good idea to do so this time.

For one she says on her profile she has kids even though i said on my profile im not looking for someone with kids. Second she has no picture on her profile. And third from reading her profile it seems like she may have a lot of emotional baggage.

Even though i dont like doing it, i think it probably is just better not to reply this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

I received a couple of messages of a girl today. Even though i'd normally reply just to be polite, i really think it's not a good idea to do so this time.

For one she says on her profile she has kids even though i said on my profile im not looking for someone with kids. Second she has no picture on her profile. And third from reading her profile it seems like she may have a lot of emotional baggage.

Even though i dont like doing it, i think it probably is just better not to reply this time.

one thing i hate about POF guys with no profile pictures i mean seriously how are u meant to go on that and not see his face?? and they make up lame excuses ah i dont know how to upload a photo or i dont even have a photo! obvioulsy i wont be replyin to u! i know one guy on it and he has a girlfriend and hes still using POF.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

How much does your profile say about you that would give someone a chance to see what you have in common?

If I look at a profile, attraction from the photo is only a starting point, after that there has to be something I can see in the profile to hang a mail on - a common interest, or something I can ask a question about, or crack a joke about. That's much more important than the photo for me. I would mail for the right profile with no photo, I wouldn't mail Kate Moss if her profile read "don't know what to write, like to go to pub, lol!". I wouldn't know where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

How much does your profile say about you that would give someone a chance to see what you have in common?

If I look at a profile, attraction from the photo is only a starting point, after that there has to be something I can see in the profile to hang a mail on - a common interest, or something I can ask a question about, or crack a joke about. That's much more important than the photo for me. I would mail for the right profile with no photo, I wouldn't mail Kate Moss if her profile read "don't know what to write, like to go to pub, lol!". I wouldn't know where to start.

jesus do girls actually write things like that? I've seen a small few guys that have written in txtspk but generally nothing dumb like that.

jesus do girls actually write things like that? I've seen a small few guys that have written in txtspk but generally nothing dumb like that.

I take it you mean this bit;
    "don't know what to write, like to go to pub, lol!".

Yeh, common enough. As is a few lines of "xxxxxxxxxxx", double line spacing, or saying "I'm only on here 'cos my friends say it's great" and other strategies to fill up the required space quite uselessly. Some people represent themselves quite poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yeh, common enough. As is a few lines of "xxxxxxxxxxx", double line spacing, or saying "I'm only on here 'cos my friends say it's great" and other strategies to fill up the required space quite uselessly. Some people represent themselves quite poorly.

That is probably the most annoying thing I've seen on profiles. A one liner in text speak about "lovin da craic" isn't going to make me go weak at the knees.

Why fill out lines of shíte with "xxxxxooooooxxxxxxxxxlooooollll". Seriously why?!

That is probably the most annoying thing I've seen on profiles. A one liner in text speak about "lovin da craic" isn't going to make me go weak at the knees.

Why fill out lines of shíte with "xxxxxooooooxxxxxxxxxlooooollll". Seriously why?!

I think it's a good thing when people fill their profiles with xxxxxxxxxxxx.... it shows you straight off that they can't manage 4 sentences, straight away you know they couldn't engage you in any interesting conversation :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think it's a good thing when people fill their profiles with xxxxxxxxxxxx.... it shows you straight off that they can't manage 4 sentences, straight away you know they couldn't engage you in any interesting conversation :rolleyes:

Oh yeah I agree. Text speak and people lol-ing just annoy me though!

not worth the hassle at all! i never forget the date i had! he bought me out for a spin and all he did was rantin about the other drivers! he had some rage and when i said i wanted to go home he wont even bother to drop me off at the house i had to beg him but he shouted at me and said FINE, that hour i will never get back! the next day he accused me of deletin his POF account, i dont even know how to delte someone else account! he was some freak!!!

Oh yeah I agree. Text speak and people lol-ing just annoy me though!

I mention that I don't like text speak or bad spelling in my profile.... I get lots of mails from the PC brigade, and from dyslexic guys complaining that I'm rude etc

yoyo83 wrote: »
    not worth the hassle at all! i never forget the date i had! he bought me out for a spin and all he did was rantin about the other drivers! he had some rage and when i said i wanted to go home he wont even bother to drop me off at the house i had to beg him but he shouted at me and said FINE, that hour i will never get back! the next day he accused me of deletin his POF account, i dont even know how to delte someone else account! he was some freak!!!

Wow. I mean....fúcking wow.

Wow. I mean....fúcking wow.

i know and he contacted me again a few months ago! i told him to crawl back under the rock where he came from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

I feel your pain Amanda,,, meet your twin! :rolleyes:

when I first joined a few weeks ago I had tons of mail, its all dried up now, dont understand there, surely theres new people joining all the time, they cant all be looking at my profile and thinking YUECK!!!:rolleyes::o

i know and he contacted me again a few months ago! i told him to crawl back under the rock where he came from!

And you didn't go for it? Jaysis, picky or what? :pac:

And you didn't go for it? Jaysis, picky or what? :pac:

no after the way he treated me on the date? i dont think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Thats wierd I pretty much had the exact same date with a guy, didnt meet him online though, did his name start with an R??

careymary wrote: »
    Thats wierd I pretty much had the exact same date with a guy, didnt meet him online though, did his name start with an R??

nope started with a K and from Waterford

Denisejcc wrote: »
    I feel your pain Amanda,,, meet your twin! :rolleyes:

when I first joined a few weeks ago I had tons of mail, its all dried up now, dont understand there, surely theres new people joining all the time, they cant all be looking at my profile and thinking YUECK!!!:rolleyes::o

When you joined first your name would be in the new members list, so people view and contact you early on. After a while you may need to be a bit more proactive, send some mails, or view some profiles at least just to thrown your bait in the water (on PoF...see what I did there? :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

nope started with a K and from Waterford

So there are two of them in the world, bit freaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

When you joined first your name would be in the new members list, so people view and contact you early on. After a while you may need to be a bit more proactive, send some mails, or view some profiles at least just to thrown your bait in the water (on PoF...see what I did there? :rolleyes:)

Ha ha very good Kevin, I keep thinking of Keith duffy when I see your name YUUUUM:D

I sent a few messages last night = no reply

Also clicked on a good few profiles = still no new messages :D

I am texting one guy though...

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Ha ha very good Kevin, I keep thinking of Keith duffy when I see your name YUUUUM:D

Yeh, funny that....;)

• Advertisement

no after the way he treated me on the date? i dont think so!

Eh, yeh, I knew. Has :pac: lost all meaning??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement