Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I just hope you go the girl's consent to use her photo...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Galvasean wrote: »
    I just hope you go the girl's consent to use her photo...

i did actually. she's a friend in the UK who uses it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

lads i've a confession to make. have been dipping in and out of this thread for a while, so last night, i set up a pof account using photos of a girl i know. i don't blame girls for complaining about the site at all. i think in less than 24 hours, i've had more than 140 messages. at least 90% just said 'hi' or some vague variation. it was just awful.

now i have to say, there has been the odd one that, if i was a chick, i'd have been impressed by the messages. there was one guy that just chose to rant for absolutely no reason at all.

this was his first message:

what a classy guy!!

and this is exactly we rant about ID.... people who aren't genuine messing it up for everyone else

and this is exactly we rant about ID.... people who aren't genuine messing it up for everyone else

i've owned up after less than 24 hours. there's plenty of profiles on the site that have fake photos and have probably been there for yonks. one profile i saw used a photo of the poor girl that went missing off howth before Christmas, another used photos of the hooker that the ex governor of NY was caught with.

i thought it'd be interesting to see what girls are actually having to put up with. to be honest, going by what the guys here are saying anyway, they should be doing pretty well as regards making contact. i just couldn't believe the amount of brain dead messages i was getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

i've owned up after less than 24 hours. there's plenty of profiles on the site that have fake photos and have probably been there for yonks. one profile i saw used a photo of the poor girl that went missing off howth before Christmas, another used photos of the hooker that the ex governor of NY was caught with.

i thought it'd be interesting to see what girls are actually having to put up with. to be honest, going by what the guys here are saying anyway, they should be doing pretty well as regards making contact. i just couldn't believe the amount of brain dead messages i was getting.

Sorry, I didn't mean that in a snappy cow type tone :o

At least you know what to avoid if you ever set up a real profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Are you going to put a profile up Ballsy?? :)

I don't like bítching about other peoples profiles but this is funny. One lad has as his interests: sitting. :confused:

:pac:

Larianne wrote: »
    I don't like bítching about other peoples profiles but this is funny. One lad has as his interests: sitting. :confused:

I actually think that's quite charming...
    :o

I actually think that's quite charming...
    :o

I'll PM ya his username. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

you swore you would never point it out to anyone!
    (man strop off down the virtual street)

papagormo wrote: »
    you swore you would never point it out to anyone!
    (man strop off down the virtual street)

Ah, we're all friends in here PapaG :)

• Advertisement

So what does it mean when someone clicks yes on the 'wants to meet you' thing on POF, so you message them, they sign in and then log out without messaging you back? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ah, we're all friends in here PapaG :)

Hmm Indeed, and apparently we are all friends who discuss other friend's likes and dislikes too..
    Lets see...it says here that you enjoy taping episodes of "Nationwide" on VHS...walks down country roads...all very normal so far... oh and whats this..you also enjoy collecting used pieces of sellotape? Why that's a rather odd hobby you have, sit down and tell us about it!:pac:

I better get to bed, exam in the morning, must save my shíte talk and unleash it on an answer sheet instead!:)

So what does it mean when someone clicks yes on the 'wants to meet you' thing on POF, so you message them, they sign in and then log out without messaging you back? :confused:

They could have just been on to check quickly and might get back to you properly tomorrow??

Did you mention something about sitting in your mail? :pac:
    Hmm Indeed, and apparently we are all friends who discuss other friend's likes and dislikes too..
    Lets see...it says here that you enjoy taping episodes of "Nationwide" on VHS...walks down country roads...all very normal so far... oh and whats this..you also enjoy collecting used pieces of sellotape? Why that's a rather odd hobby you have, sit down and tell us about it!:pac:

I better get to bed, exam in the morning, must save my shíte talk and unleash it on an answer sheet instead!:)

Nationwide is a very informative programme I'll have you know!!

Good Luck tomorrow Papa!!

i did when i was in the uk. one night i was out i recognised 4 girls off it who were all in the same club. they all recognised me too! it was plainly obvious and very funny. it was as if we all just gave each other a little nod!

may do it again so i can join in with ye lot properly!!

don't forget the answer to number 6. it's the liver.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He obviously practises Zen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

yeah whats that about?? I only hit yes if I like the cut of their jib and we have common interests. I think as the pics appear on a carousel of images people just hit yes, no or maybe without too much thinking put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

frag420 wrote: »
    yeah whats that about?? I only hit yes if I like the cut of their jib and we have common interests. I think as the pics appear on a carousel of images people just hit yes, no or maybe without too much thinking put into it.

Probably should put some thought into it. It emails that person to say you want to meet them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Probably should put some thought into it. It emails that person to say you want to meet them!

Yeah Im not convinced of that. I have over 200 want to meet me and none have ever contacted me and anyone I contacted sent a brief message but thats it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I find myself coming to the conclusion that online dating is a waste of time. Having said that my brother met his OH through it and as I recall an old friend of mine did the same. I'm having trouble reconciling this...!

Oh, and haha - I didn't login for a while and OKCupid emails me to say that it has calculated through click-throughs and blah blah blah that I'm in the top 50% of most attractive users on the site. Oh, OKCupid, you old charmer! How could I not come back after that kind of ego massage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I've always been curious about the 50% email. I got one as well, assumed it is a bit of a ploy to get you to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

50% of the time it is wrong ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It seems everyone on boards has received this "OMG YOU'RE HOT!" email from OkCupid except me. :(

Thanks, OkCupid, for reminding me of my place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

liah wrote: »
    It seems everyone on boards has received this "OMG YOU'RE HOT!" email from OkCupid except me. :(

OMG Liah YOU'RE HOT!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I didn't either but then I already knew that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

neither did I :( just keep reminding yourself it's automated...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Weird thing I noticed on OKC earlier; I opened a message and it says he sent it on Monday but I only got it today :confused: anybody else notice this?

Pfft, If I was as handsome as OKCupid tells me (top 50% in attractiveness, 'win' over 80% of those head to head picture looks things) I'd be swimming in ladies begging for my attention. In reality I generally mail someone, they look at my profile and don't bother mailing me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

swapple wrote: »
    Weird thing I noticed on OKC earlier; I opened a message and it says he sent it on Monday but I only got it today :confused: anybody else notice this?
    I got a reply to my pm from a girl 10 days after she IMed me the same reply. I was inclined to assume that she was just a ditz but maybe she sent the PM before the IM?

Nah, probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

It seems everyone on boards has received this "OMG YOU'RE HOT!" email from OkCupid except me.

I think even OKC has taken that as a given Liah! :D

One thing thats happened to me 3 times on POF this week, is that I've clicked on a profile where theres a shot of 2 or 3 people, and each time the person I like the look of is not the profile owner! :) Would it be rude to mail and ask for the friends email addy! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement