Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Galvasean wrote: »
    Pfft, women. Between that ex of mine who kept texting me during the beers and now this, I wonder do they sense me being happy and decide they want to drag me back to fretting about them.

by the way, i feel your pain on this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

reconnected to okc, have to wait a week now till i can close it, sick :)

i find either im not attracted to any of the girls and then there is the odd one that is just way out of my league! went through the match thing there where you rate them,passed a few minutes, saw 2 that i gave 5 star, skipped everyone else. boo

my profile is also fairly crap i reckon, hard to get your personality across on it, i just sound like a robot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I met my current partner on Okcupid, we've been together since Nov. Have to say that I loved the site.. most the people on it were lovely and it didn't feel at all seedy. Quite funny when you meet people on it and then realise you have quite a few mutual friends. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I wouldn't do it personally, but I think it can be a great way for people to meet. It all depends on the individual!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Flojo wrote: »
    Have to say that I loved the site..

As a website I think it's great. It completely trumps all the others I've tried in terms of design and functionality. Unfortunately the pool of people is a bit on the small side. I think they need to advertise better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

As a website I think it's great. It completely trumps all the others I've tried in terms of design and functionality. Unfortunately the pool of people is a bit on the small side. I think they need to advertise better.

Have to agree with the amount of people on there - very small compared to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've had a few girls message me over the last week. Most of them have the bare minimum in their profiles though and no pictures either. Though one of the girls that messaged me seems nice and i've been chatting to her. She actually made an effort with her original message which impressed me.

A nice change from the "Hi, how are you?" messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Bit of feedback or advice here folks,

I am totally new to this, started an account on a site a few weeks ago, and have exchanged a few messages with people. Anyway, is there an expected methodology to all this? ie exchange a few messages, swap numbers, text etc and then go out?

As I said, totally new to this, so some feedback(especially I guess from the ladies here) would be great. I'd like to ask one woman out for a coffee, but we have only really messaged each other a few times, too soon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It depends on what you want out of it. If you want to meet someone after mailing them a few times, just say it.

Huhurhir... was in a bar today and the girl serving me seemed awfully familiar. Oh yeah, I messaged her during the week... Duh oh... Now gimmie my cider! :pac:

Oh yeah, was on a date earlier. AWFUL!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

How was it so bad?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

Huhurhir... was in a bar today and the girl serving me seemed awfully familiar. Oh yeah, I messaged her during the week... Duh oh... Now gimmie my cider! :pac:

Why awful?

We all seem to have very poor judgement when deciding who to go out with :confused:

We all seem to have very poor judgement when deciding who to go out with :confused:

No interest or humour to her at all. She couldn't wait to get out of the place and I had to drag conversation out of her. Lost count of the amount of times she said "You can leave if you want" (we only went for a bleeding coffee).
    I mean, seriously, why bother getting into contact with me if you aren't willing to put in the effort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

Oh my god, 'you can leave if you want'?? Seriously?

Regardless of whether or not you are attracted to your date, surely you still want to put your best foot forward and show that you are an interesting person with something to offer.

Oh my god, 'you can leave if you want'?? Seriously?

Regardless of whether or not you are attracted to your date, surely you still want to put your best foot forward and show that you are an interesting person with something to offer.

Tell me about it, although I'm clearly much better looking than her :rolleyes:

On that note, I have been on dates recently where the girl has how shall we say... been somewhat *ahem* 'larger' than in their profile pics.

[/egomaniac]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

No interest or humour to her at all. She couldn't wait to get out of the place and I had to drag conversation out of her. Lost count of the amount of times she said "You can leave if you want" (we only went for a bleeding coffee).
    I mean, seriously, why bother getting into contact with me if you aren't willing to put in the effort?

You having a laugh? That's terrible, what a dickhead, really..

Though I have to say Sean you're either a 10/10 on the hot scale or you're really good with words, I've lost count of how many dates of coffees you've went for over the last 10 pages in this thread!

I had a POF profile a few years ago, think I might set one up as this paid for one isn't doing feck all. I rarely have the courage to ask a girl out IRL, maybe 2 or 3 times in my whole life. So online means I don't get nervous or gittery, I can at least be myself in my message which is great.. Now if only I could interest people!

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Though I have to say Sean you're either a 10/10 on the hot scale or you're really good with words, I've lost count of how many dates of coffees you've went for over the last 10 pages in this thread!

Not that many, and it's all been quite recent TBH. Seriously though, I was gettin eff all for ages but my luck changed when I had a very nice female boardsie read through my profile and make some suggestions. Not changing information, just wording it a bit better/clearer. Little differences make for big results I guess.

And no, I'm not all that good looking, but I do have some uncommon interests / hobbies/ line of work, which i guess makes my profile stand out (when phrased properly),

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Do you think maybe she was very shy or lacking in confidence? The first date from online dating can be very awkward I find.

hollypink wrote: »
    Do you think maybe she was very shy or lacking in confidence? The first date from online dating can be very awkward I find.

I've been on dates where it's awkward and there's shyness (I should know, I can get quite shy myself in such situations), but generally you can drag them out then and mutually enjoy it (even if you know nothing will come of it). This felt totally different TBH, like she felt she had better things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I've been on dates where it's awkward and there's shyness (I should know, I can get quite shy myself in such situations), but generally you can drag them out then and mutually enjoy it (even if you know nothing will come of it). This felt totally different TBH, like she felt she had better things to do.

Fair enough - I thought maybe the whole "you can leave if you want" sounded like a lack of confidence thing. Still not very nice though :( Had one awkward date myself where I felt like I was dragging conversation out of him the whole time, I was glad when it was over :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Ive baan on PoF and have met a few very nice girls. Some of them didnt work out, mainly because of the distance. Ive just met a wonderful girl last weekend. Shes funny, smart, impossibly pretty and great company, i think it might go somewhere!

I still think there is a bit of a taboo about internet dating though. Id tell my friends where i met her but now way would i tell my mother!

This felt totally different TBH, like she felt she had better things to do.

Might have just shyness?

I met a girl once who insisted on telling me how much she is chatted up on POF! She had no sense of humour and was obsessed with wealth.

Its like a lucky dip!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hollypink wrote: »
    Fair enough - I thought maybe the whole "you can leave if you want" sounded like a lack of confidence thing. Still not very nice though :( Had one awkward date myself where I felt like I was dragging conversation out of him the whole time, I was glad when it was over :p

Speaking as someone very shy, there's no way i'd come out with "you can leave if you want"!
    Poor galv better luck next time!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Speaking as someone very shy, there's no way i'd come out with "you can leave if you want"!
    Poor galv better luck next time!!

Maybe it was him. She got vibes he didnt want to be there!

Dovies wrote: »
    Maybe it was him. She got vibes he didnt want to be there!

I'm not quite sure how you've come to that conclusion when I was the one instigating every single piece of dialogue. Had I been less bothered it probably would have ended up like an episode of Space Ghost Coast To Coast (massive awkward silences)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

gahhh, think I'll go hide my PoF profile again.... been mailing with a nice girl for a while, send her my mobile no at weekend as next step before asking her out.... and nothing, no mail, no txt :(

/Am feeling bit under weather today, so probably just over-analysing... will see what feel like at weekend before deciding on PoF

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Anyone Wanna Take A Look At My POF profile And Give Me Some Pointers?

MudSkipper wrote: »
    gahhh, think I'll go hide my PoF profile again.... been mailing with a nice girl for a while, send her my mobile no at weekend as next step before asking her out.... and nothing, no mail, no txt :(

I have been mailing someone for a couple of weeks too and he suggested meeting this week. No problem but gave him my work email on Friday as my home pc is broken (which I explained) and nothing so far! :(

Why do we do these things to ourselves?

amandaf675 wrote: »
    Anyone Wanna Take A Look At My POF profile And Give Me Some Pointers?

Yeah, i will if you like. Ill be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I got an email the other day,only got to looking at it yesterday, I have some mention of birds or wildlife in my profile,his email is simply: I like birds,eagles especially.

:mad: has no picture up,i haven't looked at his profile.should I even bother. No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement