Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'd understand that with sean, cause he's his pictures basically as backgroud images on boards :pac: but where's your picture up here!?

I have 2 in the Know Your Clubbers thread, guess they knew from that. Either that or I have a VERY distinctive style of writing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm seeing a lot of girl's POF profiles that say one age in the blurb they right and another in their stats up top.
    Lie with consistency! :pac:

Goddamn, why ae the pics on POf so damn small? Just cicked on a profile there to get a better look and 'twas that wench doth brok'th myne heart in twain.
    Crap, now she's gonna think I'm all stalky and stuff :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Send her an abusive message to save face :pac:

Note: I'm not actually advising that!

Send her an abusive message to save face :pac:

Note: I'm not actually advising that!

You have no idea how tempted I am when I see a tagline that reads along the lines of, "I'm just looking for a nice and honest guy'.
    I SO wanna send a mail saying, "You found one, but you killed him."

But i won't. Because that would be bold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

So I text the guy I was telling ye about yesterday cause I didnt want to just not reply, I went with a lighthearted text saying - Hey, Either your POF account got hacked or I really didnt get that joke.....
    He text back - No joke, just wanted to be honest, are we still on for Sat?
    Me- Ah no, lets not, I think we are in different places at the min, good luck and happy fishing!
    I got back - thanks for being such a waste of time.

Bloody hell...............back to the drawing board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Is this the guy that wanted babies like now!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Is this the guy that wanted babies like now!?

Yeah thats him, wouldnt have bothered except we had been in contact for a good while before his request / demand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

careymary wrote: »
    So I text the guy I was telling ye about yesterday cause I didnt want to just not reply, I went with a lighthearted text saying - Hey, Either your POF account got hacked or I really didnt get that joke.....
    Me- Ah no, lets not, I think we are in different places at the min, good luck and happy fishing!

ah don't do that, tell him to be outside the stephen's green shopping centre at 4pm on saturday, to wear a hawaiian shirt and hold a superquinn bag. tell him when you meet him, you will say something like "the rivers in moscow are deep this time of the year"
    then the rest of us can go up, stand beside him, and say things like "the trees of stalingrad are blooming in may" but not exactly what he needs to hear. then we can follow him around town for a while.

or maybe i'm just looking to kill time before the football in the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you are having problems getting replies/dates from regular dating sites and you reckon a reason is to do with the women being inundated with messages,how many mails do you think women get on no strings attached sites.

I wouldnt waste your time to be honest.

That's fair enough but who do these girls actually email then, if they're on the site presumably to meet guys?! You could say they've no interest in meeting me but I'm far from Quasi Modo like! Good, upbeat profile, clear photo, smiling, all my mails take an interest in their profile, etc.

Granted I could be just getting lost in a sea of emails from random punters but man the silence is deafening!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

careymary wrote: »

Fair dues to you for actually being honest and texting him. Most people would just ignore the guy. Most cases, I'd say, just a PFO would do. But in this case, it shows integrity to actually let him down nicely, so to speak.

Even though he's clearly bat-shit insane.

Do people really want honesty though? Or do they want a nicer version of the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Do people really want honesty though? Or do they want a nicer version of the truth?

Well, as I said earlier in the thread, I had a reply from some guy
    'you simply aren't attractive enough for me to date'. :(

Now he could have put that a bit nicer! Cheeky fecker!

Dovies wrote: »

Yeah.what way would've been more ok for you?

Dovies wrote: »

**** that. Don't feel too downheartened by that. The guy's obviously a shallow douchebag.

I got a reply once that went-

'Thanks for the mail. I felt I had to reply since you sent me such a nice message. Thank you. But unfortunately I'm not attracted to you, so I don't think there'd be much point in taking it any further. But thank you for the mail none the less.'

Okay, so it kinda sucked to feel like you're unattractive. But it was nice to actually get a 'thanks for the effort' rather than being ignored. For me, I just feel slightly embarrassed when somebody just ignores you when you've put in the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Ah I think most would prefer honesty, but I guess tact is pretty important there; the reply to Dovies obviously being without tact, and that to Sanjuro with.
    Sanjuro wrote:
    Okay, so it kinda sucked to feel like you're unattractive. But it was nice to actually get a 'thanks for the effort' rather than being ignored. For me, I just feel slightly embarrassed when somebody just ignores you when you've put in the effort.
    Ya indeed; it's nice when someone puts in the effort to reply like that, even if in the negative, rather than just ignore outright.
    Still, I guess at the same time, with the volume of messages some may get, it's understandable!

Still, I guess at the same time, with the volume of messages some may get, it's understandable!
    True enough. To be honest, about 95% of the messages I send, I expect no reply. It's just the nature of the game, really.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Sanjuro wrote: »
    True enough. To be honest, about 95% of the messages I send, I expect no reply. It's just the nature of the game, really.

Do you really expect no reply?

Jaysus - I've always emailed guys back who send me an email as distinct from a "hai how ru" message! Those I tend to not waste my time on, they didn't put in any effort, so I'm not going to either!

Pretty much, Morrigan. For example, this week I sent 8 mails. Each distinct, witty (I think!), and specific for each person. Number of replies? Zilch. I dunno if it's what I write, or maybe I look like a mentalist! Or that they couldn't be arsed replying. But at this stage, it doesn't bother me. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Pretty much, Morrigan. For example, this week I sent 8 mails. Each distinct, witty (I think!), and specific for each person. Number of replies? Zilch. I dunno if it's what I write, or that I may look like a stalker! Or that they couldn't be arsed replying. But at this stage, it doesn't bother me. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

hhmmm I get ya!
    I'm in the disheartened stage, I kinda stopped logging in a few weeks ago, except for a few specific purposes (one being a dare by a boardsie to find him! :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well I still log on every day, cant resist really. But I certainly dont hold out any hope for coming across the man of my dreams online - maybe I did when I started but not anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Yay I got my email from OKC to tell me I am attractive.

Even though I only signed up for friends and random banter I have received positive ratings. It's all lies and deceptions really threw up a photo of me in a suit, the suit is attractive not me you fools. :D

Maguined wrote: »
    Yay I got my email from OKC to tell me I am attractive.

Even though I only signed up for friends and random banter I have received positive ratings. It's all lies and deceptions really threw up a photo of me in a suit, the suit is attractive not me you fools. :D

aawww but Mags you are ;)

aawww but Mags you are ;)

That's just the powers of the suit seducing you, you fell for its trap you silly fool!

That's just the powers of the suit seducing you, you fell for its trap you silly fool!

You weren't wearing a suit in the pub!

Then it was the powers of the curly hair.

Wimmins be lovin the curly hair. :cool:

Then it was the powers of the curly hair.

Wimmins be lovin the curly hair. :cool:

Ppffttt hardly, I have curly hair sure.

what is the decider for you as to whether or not to expect a reply? or do you mean that you just won't get a reply from around 95% of them no matter what you write?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Received an absolutely brilliant email from a girl on PoF very late last night. Made me laugh out loud actually. So I replied in kind :) Also was chatting to another nice girl yesterday afternoon. She said she's interested in meeting late next week when she's less busy at work. Dates can be got on it alright. The problem is turning dates into relationships ;)

• Advertisement

what is the decider for you as to whether or not to expect a reply? or do you mean that you just won't get a reply from around 95% of them no matter what you write?
    Not exactly sure what you're asking. I tend to only send messages to girls with profiles I find friendly and interesting. I would expect they'd be more open to guys making an effort and might reply.

I only send a message once. If I don't hear anything back, I'm not gonna go and send another, different message. So I dunno if my approach is wrong. What I do is read the profile, and talk about what I find interesting in it. Not essay length, of course, but I make sure to be specific. Keep it light and humourous. I treat each person as an individual. But as a group, I find that most of the messages I send will not be replied to. I'm actually quite surprised when I do hear something back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement