Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Tremelo wrote: »
    I don't drink though, and I avoid pubs at weekends. Have no problem sitting in a pub when it's not mobbed, but I think this has to be a Saturday night mobbed pub meetup, if it's to happen. I'd probably look very uncomfortable the whole night long :o

ah yeah, if it was a quiet pub, like an old mans pub it'd be manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

liah wrote: »
    People tell me to cheer up a lot too, actually.. and never when I'm actually unhappy! :pac: Figures. I don't get it though, I can't help how my face looks in 'neutral.'

Hah, that's the very same with me, even though I'm generally always positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

About my smiley comment earlier, I'm not saying I want girls going around with lunatic smiles all day. Just that I like a girl with a nice smile and friendly eyes. And I like smaller girls. So it has become known to my friends that I like "small and smiley" girls. Not that I want a girl to act like a kids TV host :pac:

I like day dates or doing stuff that doesn't involve drinking. Used as a crutch way too much in Ireland. I understand the worries girls may have about make-up etc, but often on first dates you are trying to see if the person suits you. I like doing stuff that happens in the day like coffee dates, going for a walk etc. So somebody gunning for a first date involving drink or shying away from coffee dates could give the wrong impression that our personalities wouldn't click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

On the right girl, short hair looks amazing.

You have to be very good looking to get away with short-hair. If you can though, it does look fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just had a bizarre encounter on PoF.

Liked a girl's profile last week, so I sent her a mail. She got back to me today and we IM'd for a while. Then she just suddenly gave me her number.
    Next she asked me if I'm religious. I said no, I'm atheist.

She said she was Catholic and that she'd done something "stupid last night, so stupid".
    Intrigued, I asked her what it was.

She told me she'd slept with a colleague.

"Okay", I thought to myself, "red alert!"
    I said: "I don't think you should be telling me this. I'd better be off anyway, food to eat and all that :-)"
    At which point she said: "Don't go! Stay! I've ruined it all now, haven't I? I'm so stupid. I don't know why I told you that."

So I stayed on for a bit more and chatted. Then she said, "I'm going out for dinner tonight. On my own."

I think that "on my own" part might have been a hint. But alas, I'm busy tonight. She asked me for my number and I gave it to her. I suspect I'll rue that decision. She wants to meet up next weekend and I said "That's a possibility :), bye!"

And I came directly here ;)

• Advertisement

so what's your gut telling you?

Run away and don't look back?

whoop, we have a learner!

:pac:

My gut is telling me he's a bit of a knob and that he just comes on here to boast about how women are messaging him and giving him their numbers.

ah no really though, maybe do give her a chance. i mean just see how things go? if she's seemed otherwise alright.

• Advertisement

ah no really though, maybe do give her a chance. i mean just see how things go? if she's seemed otherwise alright.

Just thought it was a bit too revealing. We'd only be chatting for about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

And I came directly here ;)

No class.

Just thought it was a bit too revealing. We'd only be chatting for about 15 minutes.

yeah, but then she did acknowledge that. I dunno, it's up to you.

keanooo wrote: »
    My gut is telling me he's a bit of a knob and that he just comes on here to boast about how women are messaging him and giving him their numbers.

Quite surprised that people thanked this actually. This thread is full of people posting their anecdotes, some good, some bad. I don't see how I'm more 'knobbish' than anyone else in this thread tbh.

"Oh no! Look at me! Women are throwing themselves at me after a mere 15 minutes of chat....

Help! I must be too good-looking....!

You other guys on this thread are so lucky you don't have my problems. I wish I were like you and couldn't get women to write to me for love or money..."

"Oh no! Look at me! Women are throwing themselves at me after a mere 15 minutes of chat....

You other guys on this thread are so lucky you don't have my problems. I wish I were like you and couldn't get women to write to me for love or money..."

Um, if you read back over the thread you'll see I post about being rejected too, as does everyone here. Seriously, maybe you should read back over some pages of the thread instead of coming in here throwing shapes and flouting the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Quite surprised that people thanked this actually. This thread is full of people posting their anecdotes, some good, some bad. I don't see how I'm more 'knobbish' than anyone else in this thread tbh.

You hardly posted an anecdote, you posted a private chat log. I have my own opinion on it is all, I think it's very "knobbish".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Ah, what can it hurt meeting her and seeing what she's like?
    I think people read too much into messages sometimes (excepting the 'I want to have your babies' ones, and other obvious crazies); you would get a much better idea of her in person.

Anyone wrote: »
    You hardly posted an anecdote, you posted a private chat log. I have my own opinion on it is all, I think it's very "knobbish".

These have been posted by several other posters throughout the thread! No way on earth anyone can be identified. It's the very same as reporting on a conversation you had with a stranger in a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

settle down folks please, settle down.

• Advertisement

Dunno if it count's as "flouting the charter" (to use Tremelo's phrase), but it certainly does go down as ungentlemanly conduct.

Here of all places...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I don't drink though, and I avoid pubs at weekends. Have no problem sitting in a pub when it's not mobbed, but I think this has to be a Saturday night mobbed pub meetup, if it's to happen. I'd probably look very uncomfortable the whole night long :o

Meet halfway and have coffee, your date have a drink in a quiet auld man's pub?

I personally prefer to meet in a pub setting as its what I'm used to (I'm not a píss head!). I'd be worried of people eavesdropping in a cafe. So while you might not be comfortable in a packed pub, which is totally understandable, she might not be happy in a cafe setting. People don't just loose their shyness in their 20's. I don't think you should pass because of this.

I don't think he was trying to rub anyone's nose in it. I also thought your previous post was a joke.

I read it as "Is this girl a crazy or should I give her a chance?" kinda thing. Not knobbish.

I wouldn't go near her Trem!

Sorry Sam, didn't see your post!

I've a question for ye all...

How do you end dates??????? I get rather uncomfortable at the end so, shamefully, I tend to stick my hand out for a handshake! :o

Handshake and peck on the cheek, or a hug and a peck on the cheek or a kiss?

I guess it depends on how the date goes. But then its sometimes hard to know if it went well or not. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Larianne wrote: »

How do you end dates??????? I get rather uncomfortable at the end so, shamefully, I tend to stick my hand out for a handshake! :o

I guess it depends on how the date goes. But then its sometimes hard to know if it went well or not. :confused:

save my own phone number under the name frank. then send myself a message saying the house has been burgled, and to get home fast. good ole frank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

This ^

Go with your gut I'd say.

Totally depends. Most recent date I was on ended with a "thanks for great evening, enjoyed talking to you. Will be in touch" accompanied by a *smile, awkward wave, walks away*. The fact that we parted on the street meant I wouldn't try anything else (first date after all and wasn't sure where I stood with her). Previous first date ended when I was dropped back to my car by her late at night. Made a move and was shot down. Awkward! The longer a date goes on for, the more likely it is to end in a kiss though. Otherwise, just a thanks and a wave and an "I'll be in touch" kind of remark.

save my own phone number under the name frank. then send myself a message saying the house has been burgled, and to get home fast. good ole frank!

I mean any date, even if its going okay. Where's the middle ground? I don't want to come across too strong but then also don't want to appear to seem not interested which I've been told a handshake will probably appear to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I mean any date, even if its going okay. Where's the middle ground? I don't want to come across too strong but then also don't want to appear to seem not interested which I've been told a handshake will probably appear to be.

I guess a hug, that way you can kind of suss them out at the same time...as if they're interested it'll generally lead to a kiss.

Okay, I'll go with a hug so.

I would take a smile and awkward wave as a "never gonna see you again" gesture. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I think you are worrying and reading into things too much. Just go with whatever you feel like in the moment. A smile and an awkward wave could easily of been down to nerves and they are genuinely interested so don't analyse things too much and just go with the flow I reckon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement