Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Awh hate this stuff. really have no idea what to do.

My experiences so far have been
    date 1: hug, kinda awkward, he pecked my on the cheek, :( (didn't like him)

date 2: ended very awkwardly, wont go into that one

date 3: the awkward wave, I could see it in his eyes, he was expecting more. though as to why I don't know. cause then after it ended he goes oh we clearly didn't have any chemistry...

hate this stuff. but it's not just cause it's a date, it's cause it's basically a stranger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't think anything was wrong with trem's post but then i wont argue

as for date, smile awkward wave here :pac: hug if i was interested though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Larianne wrote: »
    Okay, I'll go with a hug so.

I would take a smile and awkward wave as a "never gonna see you again" gesture. :confused:

I know, this is something I need to work on. I sometimes end up texting them a few hours later to sort of confirm that I am interested. I once told a girl I did fancy that I did online dating "not only so that I can meet someone, but also to make friends". Quite inaccurate and I don't know why I said it. I think I didn't want to come across as over eager about dating or something, i.e. "I don't have all my hopes pinned on online dating. If I find someone, cool; if not, no big deal". The spirit of the sentiment got mangled somewhere between my brain and my vocal chords though :o

Anyway, afterwards I figured "she probably thinks now that I've no interest in her". So I texted a nice compliment to her the very next day asking her out again. That worked :) Kiss happened on second date, but I was much more sure of myself then, as she'd come all the way to my town and we'd been walking slowly through a wood before we sat down on a bench by a river with no one around. It was the perfect situation for a first kiss...

I'm bad with hugs myself. I don't think I'd quite know how to react if a girl hugged me at the end of a first date. I'd probably take it as a positive....I think! But I wouldn't know if I should hug tight back or weak. There'd be a sort of a Seinfeld-style discussion to be had afterwards with my friends as to what different types of hugs might mean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

G86 wrote: »
    I guess a hug, that way you can kind of suss them out at the same time...as if they're interested it'll generally lead to a kiss.

Not always! I'd be more worried about trying for an unwanted first date kiss when it is an online first date. Leave the kissing for later!

Not always! I'd be more worried about trying for an unwanted first date kiss when it is an online first date. Leave the kissing for later!

yeah have to say if it was my first time meeting someone, I'd feel odd about kissing them. well of course if you click then yeah maybe. i suppose i find it hard to imagine that'd happen after one date. I haven't enough experience with this kinda stuff though.

yeah that doesn't make any sense, i've kissed guys i've only met a few hours previous... :confused: hmmm

• Advertisement

yeah have to say if it was my first time meeting someone, I'd feel odd about kissing them. well of course if you click then yeah maybe. i suppose i find it hard to imagine that'd happen after one date. I haven't enough experience with this kinda stuff though.

yeah that doesn't make any sense, i've kissed guys i've only met a few hours previous... :confused: hmmm

I've never really been one for random nightclub kissing either. Guess I'm just shy about it. I am genuinely woeful at noticing if a girl likes me or wants to go further. So I'd be the same on a first date, especially if I'm meeting them for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I can't really set a global rule for when The First Kiss (:pac:) is permissible. So far, it's happened at a different stage every time. If I really hit it off with someone on the first date, I'm not going to not kiss them just because of a general rule :p

Then again I'm pretty piss-poor at the whole Rules of Dating thing anyway.. feck it, too much hassle.

I've never really been one for random nightclub kissing either. Guess I'm just shy about it. I am genuinely woeful at noticing if a girl likes me or wants to go further. So I'd be the same on a first date, especially if I'm meeting them for the first time.

Also clueless at spotting if a girl likes me. As for knowing when a kiss is appropriate, I think my hair-touching technique is as bullet-proof as you can get. But it has to follow a conversation where there's been banter/flirting of course.

Have just added two pics of me doing exciting outdoorsy things. One sentence in particular on my profile seems to invite a disproportionate amount of emails, even if it's only girls wanting to comment on it. Glad I wrote it!

liah wrote: »
    I can't really set a global rule for when The First Kiss (:pac:) is permissible. So far, it's happened at a different stage every time. If I really hit it off with someone on the first date, I'm not going to not kiss them just because of a general rule :p

Then again I'm pretty piss-poor at the whole Rules of Dating thing anyway.. feck it, too much hassle.

It's not that we're following rules or anything, just that meeting a stranger is a bit odd. So I just don't see the moment happening on first dates with online people. If it did happen and I spotted it, I would do it. But it is more that the whole idea of meeting somebody for the first time means the moment is less likely to happen. I don't just throw my kisses around :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I kinda meant with first dates in general. If I like someone, I'm going to kiss them, and if they kiss me back great; if they don't, well it's no loss as they're hardly any less interested than they already were!

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    I kinda meant with first dates in general. If I like someone, I'm going to kiss them, and if they kiss me back great; if they don't, well it's no loss as they're hardly any less interested than they already were!

Even then it isn't always a sign. Not everybody is great at reading body language on dates. It can be oddly confusing.

Though you making the move and kissing the guy would be a pretty good sign :D

Even then it isn't always a sign. Not everybody is great at reading body language on dates. It can be oddly confusing.

Though you making the move and kissing the guy would be a pretty good sign :D

yeah but you'd have to be pretty sure he likes you to do that... :(

yeah but you'd have to be pretty sure he likes you to do that... :(

That was in response to G86 saying she does that.

Now you know how men feel most of the time when they are expected to initiate everything. Sometimes we like to be chased too you know :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

TSometimes we like to be chased too you know :P

*insert intro to Benny HIll*

That was in response to G86 saying she does that.

Now you know how men feel most of the time when they are expected to initiate everything. Sometimes we like to be chased too you know :P

yeah I realise that. poor guys. *hugs* to the general male population for the woes that befall you. serious.

yeah I realise that. poor guys. *hugs* to the general male population for the woes that befall you. serious.

Bitches be loco and all that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maguined wrote: »
    I think you are worrying and reading into things too much. Just go with whatever you feel like in the moment. A smile and an awkward wave could easily of been down to nerves and they are genuinely interested so don't analyse things too much and just go with the flow I reckon.

Ah, its just when I've asked guys for their opinion they said the handshake was a no-no.

I forgot about this, but I was talking to a guy last night about the ending a date and he came up with an excellent idea! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minute-Novelty-Smoke-Pellets-Bombs/dp/B004VRBNCW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1306688818&sr=8-6 With one puff, and you're gone. :)

Ah, its just when I've asked guys for their opinion they said the handshake was a no-no.

I forgot about this, but I was talking to a guy last night about the ending a date and he came up with an excellent idea! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minute-Novelty-Smoke-Pellets-Bombs/dp/B004VRBNCW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1306688818&sr=8-6 With one puff, and you're gone. :)

haha that's brilliant! if only...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think your friend might be batman.

Ha! Yes, he did think that at one stage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

totally Ordering these....

Tremelo wrote: »
    She asked me for my number and I gave it to her. I suspect I'll rue that decision.

And the ruing has started. Three texts received, all trivial. And just now she dialled my phone. I didn't answer as I was busy.

EDIT: Four texts received: "I rang your phone. Why didn't you answer???"

And the ruing has started. Three texts received, all trivial. And just now she dialled my phone. I didn't answer as I was busy.

EDIT: Four texts received: "I rang your phone. Why didn't you answer???"

oh jebus.

Tremlo, I don't think she's going to stop texting you so maybe you should set her straight. Or if you haven't replied yet, pretend its a wrong number. :pac:

Tremlo, I don't think she's going to stop texting you so maybe you should set her straight. Or if you haven't replied yet, pretend its a wrong number. :pac:

I should get my sister to speak into the phone: "Why are you ringing and texting my husband???".

I'll politely set her straight.

I should get my sister to speak into the phone: "Why are you ringing and texting my husband???".

I'll politely set her straight.

this kinda thing I don't get. I don't mean to be picking on you, but why can nobody be honest?

this kinda thing I don't get. I don't mean to be picking on you, but why can nobody be honest?

What do you mean? I'll be very honest in just a moment with her.

What do you mean? I'll be very honest in just a moment with her.

oh so you were only joking about that?

oh so you were only joking about that?

Joking about getting my sister to pretend I'm married? Of course it was a joke!

• Advertisement

Joking about getting my sister to pretend I'm married? Of course it was a joke!

ok, dunno what's wrong with me tonight!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement