Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I don't get it entirely; what's the difference meeting up in day vs night?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

just got long mail on CS from a girl in Japan that lived in ireland for 3 years, what she loved about the place and desperately wants to come back...... my gut tells me its a scam when she ask for my email to send pics, but said hello back anyway (not even going to give my hotmail addy at this stage :pac:)

even if genuine, not getting into a SLDR, penpal maybe

Oh and two new messages on PoF....... consisting of 'Hi!'

/bangs head of desk, sick of the 'Hi' type messages....... *ouch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Jenna69 wrote: »
    I'm a woman and i put on my profile that i wanted to meet men for intimate encounters, what i've found is men wanting to meet for a cup of coffee in the middle of the day!!! What's that all about?? Do they not believe me, do they think i'm messing about? What's wrong in meeting for a drink at night and seeing how we get on before things progress? I'll never understand men!!!! lol

From my own experience, I liked meeting for coffee during the day for a few reasons. Firstly I like meeting strangers in that situation, it's less hassle than a night time date and it's easy for both to leave after an hour. Plus, it is an online date so it is your first time meeting the person. I don't think it's a male thing or a sign they are married men that people might like a casual first date. All going well you can arrange a drink at night as your second date.

Also, from a practical point of view, I live in Wicklow but often ended up chatting with girls in Dublin. So a night out in Dublin is far more effort and would need me to arrange somewhere to stay the night. So a coffee in the day time means I can still get public transport home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

From my own experience, I liked meeting for coffee during the day for a few reasons. Firstly I like meeting strangers in the situation, it's less hassle than a night time date and it's easy for both to leave after an hour. Plus, it is an online date so it is your first time meeting the person. I don't think it's a male thing or a sign they are married men that people might like a casual first date. All going well you can arrange a drink at night as your second date.

Also, from a practical point of view, I live in Wicklow but often ended up chatting with girls in Dublin. So a night out in Dublin is far more effort and would need me to arrange somewhere to stay the night. So a coffee in the day time means I can still get public transport home.

That is totally gay.

keanooo wrote: »
    That is totally gay.

Zing. You got me there. Oscar Wilde didn't write them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

That is totally gay.

Hilarious:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

keanoo cop on, that sort of crap isn't welcome or necessary here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 maxsatisfaction

I'm a woman and i put on my profile that i wanted to meet men for intimate encounters, what i've found is men wanting to meet for a cup of coffee in the middle of the day!!! What's that all about?? Do they not believe me, do they think i'm messing about? What's wrong in meeting for a drink at night and seeing how we get on before things progress? I'll never understand men!!!! lol

*looks the post up & down* How you doin'? :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

That is totally gay.

Ok chap, I don't think this forum is for you to be honest. Banned for the foreseeable, if you want to come back at some stage, drop me a pm and we can chat about it. Leave it a few months tho, I havent the time or the inclination to be dealing with the whole "that's so gay" thing. It's probably hilarious in school, but it's just annoying here. Ok?

Edit- sorry Sam and Otis, didnt see you'd warned the guy already. I think it's best if we just cut to the chase :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

From my own experience, I liked meeting for coffee during the day for a few reasons. Firstly I like meeting strangers in that situation, it's less hassle than a night time date and it's easy for both to leave after an hour. Plus, it is an online date so it is your first time meeting the person. I don't think it's a male thing or a sign they are married men that people might like a casual first date. All going well you can arrange a drink at night as your second date.

I totally understand that but when you put on your profile that you're looking for intimate encounters surely that's exactly what it says on the tin, you meet, have a bit of whatever takes your fancy and then go your separate ways, i don't want to get to know anyone, been there done that got the t-shirt, i understand you want to meet and make sure you fancy the person you're going to be with but i specifically put on my profile i don't want dating, friendship, relationship. Why don't guys get that?

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Chances are you'll get a load if replies here now.

Maybe it was just the particular site you were using, perhaps try something else??

Gillo wrote: »
    Chances are you'll get a load if replies here now.

Maybe it was just the particular site you were using, perhaps try something else??

I'm on POF, don't get me wrong i'm getting tons of mails, it's just for whatever reason maybe they think i'm messing, also the 'Hi' mails drive me mad but when i do start chattin to a guy, arrange to meet and then radio silence, a lot of timewasters on that site, don't think i could be bothered signing up to another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm on POF, don't get me wrong i'm getting tons of mails, it's just for whatever reason maybe they think i'm messing, also the 'Hi' mails drive me mad but when i do start chattin to a guy, arrange to meet and then radio silence, a lot of timewasters on that site, don't think i could be bothered signing up to another one.

yeah that's just weird.

so out of the ton of emails, none have been any use?

yeah that's just weird.

so out of the ton of emails, none have been any use?

God no, i've met a few lovely guys, i just don't want a relationship, as i said been there done that yadda yadda it's just when they start talking about coffee and a chat i just zone out, i love the gettin ready to go out, havin a shower, puttin the make up on with the sounds blarin, glass of wine in the hand, i think it's all part and parcel of it. Then meet the guy, have a good night, i really don't see the problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

first time online dating, and first date tonight..... Why oh why am i suddenly nervous!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

God no, i've met a few lovely guys, i just don't want a relationship, as i said been there done that yadda yadda it's just when they start talking about coffee and a chat i just zone out, i love the gettin ready to go out, havin a shower, puttin the make up on with the sounds blarin, glass of wine in the hand, i think it's all part and parcel of it. Then meet the guy, have a good night, i really don't see the problem with that.

There isn't any. I couldn't tell you what the difficulty with it is. I've changed mine to looking for casual sex, just to see what if anything changes.
    gatecrash wrote: »
    first time online dating, and first date tonight..... Why oh why am i suddenly nervous!! :)

:) good luck. think of it as just a normal date, cause that's what it is! try not to be too nervous, though a little can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

There isn't any. I couldn't tell you what the difficulty with it is. I've changed mine to looking for casual sex, just to see what if anything changes.

:) good luck. think of it as just a normal date, cause that's what it is! try not to be too nervous, though a little can help.

Thanks! :)

I totally understand that but when you put on your profile that you're looking for intimate encounters surely that's exactly what it says on the tin, you meet, have a bit of whatever takes your fancy and then go your separate ways, i don't want to get to know anyone, been there done that got the t-shirt, i understand you want to meet and make sure you fancy the person you're going to be with but i specifically put on my profile i don't want dating, friendship, relationship. Why don't guys get that?

I didn't actually see that you said intimate encounters in your post! So my post was about every other type of meet up relating to online dating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's weird isn't it? This thread has been full of women complaining that they are looking for dating/relationships but only get attention from men looking for sex. Then when a woman is looking for intimate encounters she gets mailed by guys not interested in that! Men are so stoopid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

I didn't actually see that you said intimate encounters in your post! So my post was about every other type of meet up relating to online dating.

Long time reader first time poster;)

I'm on Plentyoffish (slightly greater than zero interest in any contacts made though:( ). Slightly curious...how intimate is "intimate"? Is this just a handy way to establish a f**k buddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

shaneybaby wrote: »

I'm on Plentyoffish (slightly greater than zero interest in any contacts made though:( ). Slightly curious...how intimate is "intimate"? Is this just a handy way to establish a f**k buddy?

Yeah pretty much. Its perfectly clear on my profile that I am not interested in intimate encounters, one nighters etc etc however it doesnt stop me getting the 'fancy a shag' emails!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Instinct tells me it's because they have partners and can't get away at night!

Agreed!

Yeah it basically means sex. That's my interpretation anyway.

Dovies wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much. Its perfectly clear on my profile that I am not interested in intimate encounters, one nighters etc etc however it doesnt stop me getting the 'fancy a shag' emails!! :(

Fair enough. i suppose everyone is looking for something different. maybe i'm just too innocent...;) The 'fancy a shag' email sounds promising. at least they put some effort into it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Fair enough. i suppose everyone is looking for something different. maybe i'm just too innocent...;) The 'fancy a shag' email sounds promising. at least they put some effort into it!!

Lol yeah I suppose its better than the Hi Sexy ones - well one word better! Delete button! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

To be honest I got an email off a girl one time titled "Hi". The email inside simply said, "I like your hair :)"
    I was smitten.

Dovies wrote: »
    Lol yeah I suppose its better than the Hi Sexy ones - well one word better! Delete button! :rolleyes:

I actually got a "hi" message there yesterday. from someone with no picture and a two sentence description....and i still bit:O first message on a dating site ever so karma would kick my ass if i didn't reply.

• Advertisement

double post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement