Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think too much emphasis is placed on how to say goodbye. In the last month or so I've been on 4 dates. Two of which I feel went well. In one we hugged and peckd on the cheek. The other wasthe infamous 'Thor kiss onthe hand' move :cool:
    Of the two dates that didn't go so well one I awkwardly shuffled away while she waited for her bus (that was the 'you can leave any time you want' girl) and the other she was nice enough to offer me a lift to my home town as it was on her way (that was the many awkward silences date).
    Not that I put much stock it. I think people over analyse it. A wave goodbye, a peck on the cheek... surely the very last moment of a date should not be the make or break point? It's like those people who time how long it takes for someone to text them and decide whether or not they're interested. It's an arbitrary thing really. don't over-analyse it. Just decide if you wnat to continue based on how you felt during the date, not if they turned away clockwise or ant-clockwise or some other supurfelous thing.

well like I said it's just a bit of a creepy way to put it. I mean you don't walk up to someone anywhere and blurt out 'wanna have sex' do you.

You might if they were wearing a sandwich board that said, "I am looking for casual sex" on it.
    How would you go about asking someone for casual sex if they were advertising it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

well like I said it's just a bit of a creepy way to put it. I mean you don't walk up to someone anywhere and blurt out 'wanna have sex' do you.

If you walked around telling random men that you wanted to have casual sex then yes,you would.Its the exact same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A lot of men will view that as an open invitation though. Look at how quickly so many men turn to sex when emailing girls who have dating, relationships etc on their page. So intimate encounters etc will be like a red rag to a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Am very unsure about this online dating thing/

A friend of mine, who has a disability, and uses a wheelchair(like I do), says that, once the ladies hear you're in a chair, they run a mile!!!!!

:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't, no, as I've no interest in it. :P

But you said you've listed casual sex and then you find it weird when it comes to someone messaging you about it. I find that to be rather confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

A friend of mine, who has a disability, and uses a wheelchair(like I do), says that, once the ladies hear you're in a chair, they run a mile!!!!!

What I would say is just be upfront in your profile(if you havnt as it is of course
    ),at least that way you will know the replies or messages are genuine and there is no confusion.

Like Otis said, just be up front about it in your profile and there is nothing to worry about.

What I would say is just be upfront in your profile(if you havnt as it is of course
    ),at least that way you will know the replies or messages are genuine and there is no confusion.

which are the best online dating sites to join then? Ones that don't send you loads and loads of spam emails

which are the best online dating sites to join then?

From my experience plentyoffish seems to be the best overall. While it lacks many of the features which make okcupid an excellent site, it has much more people on it which is probably the most important thing. i like okcupid as a site but the pool of people is very small.
    Connectingsingles is quite poor - relatively small pool of people, lacking good features.
    Smooch is awful. Just plain awful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

right guys I get it, clearly I'm wrong. the way I see it is if I have what I had before, short term dating long term dating or whatever, I dont expect someone to message me saying 'do you want to go out', i mean social etiquette, as little as I know about it, determines you generally just blurt things out. but sure let's just never mind that, i'm just wrong.

Jaysus

I'm signing up to POF now and there are questions on the profile page that I havent got a bloody clue how to answer - stuff like, height, weight etc.

:confused:

Can anyone help? PM me.

right guys I get it, clearly I'm wrong. the way I see it is if I have what I had before, short term dating long term dating or whatever, I dont expect someone to message me saying 'do you want to go out', i mean social etiquette, as little as I know about it, determines you generally just blurt things out. but sure let's just never mind that, i'm just wrong.

The way I see it is if you're looking for dating / relationships the idea is that you want to get to know this person better. But with casual sex you aren't looking to get to know someone better. You don't need stuff in common. You just need to find them physically attractive enough to want to have sex with them, so no need to get to know them better.
    Is that a fair deduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think too much emphasis is placed on how to say goodbye. In the last month or so I've been on 4 dates. Two of which I feel went well. In one we hugged and peckd on the cheek. The other wasthe infamous 'Thor kiss onthe hand' move :cool:
    Of the two dates that didn't go so well one I awkwardly shuffled away while she waited for her bus (that was the 'you can leave any time you want' girl) and the other she was nice enough to offer me a lift to my home town as it was on her way (that was the many awkward silences date).
    Not that I put much stock it. I think people over analyse it. A wave goodbye, a peck on the cheek... surely the very last moment of a date should not be the make or break point? It's like those people who time how long it takes for someone to text them and decide whether or not they're interested. It's an arbitrary thing really. don't over-analyse it. Just decide if you wnat to continue based on how you felt during the date, not if they turned away clockwise or ant-clockwise or some other supurfelous thing.

I just hate the awkwardness at the end.

I know what you're saying though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Larianne wrote: »
    I just hate the awkwardness at the end.
    Nearly worse than the nerves at the start!

Jaysus

I'm signing up to POF now and there are questions on the profile page that I havent got a bloody clue how to answer - stuff like, height, weight etc.

Can anyone help? PM me.

Just make a good estimate, all you can do if you can't / don't want to weight yourself or measure your height. what other things are there?
    The way I see it is if you're looking for dating / relationships the idea is that you want to get to know this person better. But with casual sex you aren't looking to get to know someone better. You don't need stuff in common. You just need to find them physically attractive enough to want to have sex with them, so no need to get to know them better.

It's a reasonable deduction. though if i'm going to have casual sex with someone I need to have established some sort of relationship with them, even if it is only having met them once, or chatted briefly. hence why I think jumping in there with 'wanna have some fun' doesn't appeal to me. just my opinion it seems though. ah well.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yup ya are!
    Calling a spade a spade here - you'd said you want sex on your profile, they don't have to flirt with you, impress you, treat you like a princess etc etc, they are going to bluntly ask to hook up without all the frills.

Seriously, you can't ask for something and then complain when you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Gillo wrote: »

It's worse! Definitely worse.

Gillo wrote: »

yeah but nerves are good sometimes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Yup ya are!
    Seriously, you can't ask for something and then complain when you get it

I thought all women reserved that right? :pac:

• Advertisement

Jaysus

Can anyone help? PM me.

Anyone?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Maguined wrote: »
    I thought all women reserved that right? :pac:

Only sometimes Mags ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Anyone?

What sort of help do you need with your height and weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Ya in fairness, it does seem a bit harsh to equate 'casual sex' on a dating website, to stating that in real life, and saying to expect those kind of replies (I may be overinterpreting, but it almost sounds like a judgement, when there's nothing wrong with it).

I know realistically it's going to attract a lot of unwanted negative attention anyway, but I think it's all to do with how you state it in the profile.
    Ya fair assumption, but I've seen a couple profiles before looking for casual sex and usually they want to get to know the other person a little bit; stating that in the profile would probably minimize the negative replies.

Maguined wrote: »
    What sort of help do you need with your height and weight?

How did you guess??? :D

1. I have no clue what height i am.
    2. Same goes for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Anyone?

Look at what other people do. Or look at girls profiles you like and see what they did that appeals to you, and emulate...

If your height and weight are an advantage (tall / slim) say so as they're assets, if not, say so euphemistically...

Or give you height in Metres and your mass in Newtons. It will be totally worth it for the 1% who find it funny.

How did you guess??? :D

1. I have no clue what height i am.
    2. Same goes for this.

I'm not really sure how we are meant to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Larianne wrote: »
    It's worse! Definitely worse.

Gonna disagree with you there, at least at the end you have a much better idea of whether or not you like the person and hopefully have an idea of how they feel also. I think the best option is go for a peck on the cheek unless there are serious sparks, that way hopefully worst case you won't cause too much offence and hey if they are interested too you've opened the gate from them to make the next move.

Look at what other people do. Or look at girls profiles you like and see what they did that appeals to you, and emulate...

If your height and weight are an advantage (tall / slim) say so as they're assets, if not, say so euphemistically...

Or give you height in Metres and your mass in Newtons. It will be totally worth it for the 1% who find it funny.

LOL. I'm lost here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

He seeks advise as to how to measure said parameters? Or original ways of writing:

Height - average
    Weight - Normal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement