Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Galvasean wrote: »
    After a few days of radio silence I just got a text from a girl I went on a date with last week.
    "Sorry for the delay in contact, youre a really nice guy, but I'm not really looking for anything rite now. Was nice meeting you though.x"

Oh well. I'm sure I'll get that second date some day.

Hard luck. At least she had the common courtesy to contact you about it I suppose. Many don't. Anything else on the horizon? There must be! It seems the vast majority of girls are in Dublin. I've seen loads of girls from there I'd love to message, but there's no point, as I'm down in Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Tremelo wrote: »
    Hard luck. At least she had the common courtesy to contact you about it I suppose. Many don't. Anything else on the horizon? There must be! It seems the vast majority of girls are in Dublin. I've seen loads of girls from there I'd love to message, but there's no point, as I'm down in Munster.

Weird I saw loads of girl in Munster that I wanted to message...maybe we should swap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hard luck. At least she had the common courtesy to contact you about it I suppose. Many don't. Anything else on the horizon?

Yeah, I'm stll quite happy to remain Facebook friends with her as she was nice enough to let me know she didn't want to pursue any further, which I admire.
    As for the horizon, I don't know. I'm just gonna enjoy my extended birthday weekend and not think about it.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

So I re-activated my POF profile last night, I don't have any public images on it, but within five mins of it going "live" again I had been added to a guys favourites and he sent me a message.

We spent the rest of the evening emailing back and forth in his second last email, he asked if he could see a pic before he logged off to head to bed and I obliged - his response was basically along the lines of I can see why you keep them private, you'd be hounded otherwise! Then he wished me pleasant dreams and said he'd catch up with me soon.

Now I just have to see if he will talk to me again :)

EDIT: oh and I know there is another thread discussing this - but the guy has kids from a previous relationship (over ten years), and he was shocked that it didn't bother me in the slightest!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I used to message people from anywhere in Ireland!

Ended up wth a bf in Kilkenny (now ex). But I loved the journeys going to see him and sometime when he was on nights, I would surprise him by being in his bed when he got in :D

awww I am/ was such a nice girl then!

Men have changed me for the worse! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Misticles wrote: »
    I used to message people from anywhere in Ireland!

Ended up wth a bf in Kilkenny (now ex). But I loved the journeys going to see him and sometime when he was on nights, I would surprise him by being in his bed when he got in :D

awww I am/ was such a nice girl then!

Men have changed me for the worse! :(

:eek:Where do you live!!!??

So I re-activated my POF profile last night, I don't have any public images on it, but within five mins of it going "live" again I had been added to a guys favourites and he sent me a message.

We spent the rest of the evening emailing back and forth in his second last email, he asked if he could see a pic before he logged off to head to bed and I obliged - his response was basically along the lines of I can see why you keep them private, you'd be hounded otherwise! Then he wished me pleasant dreams and said he'd catch up with me soon.

He sounds like a very good guy to be honest. Note how he waited till the end of the conversation before asking for a picture. Nice touch.

I sent mails to two girls last weekend who didn't have pictures. But I liked their profiles. One of them is very pretty actually, and I think I have a date with her on Saturday (just have to set a time and place). The other girl is really nice too, but tbh I'm not really into her appearance. I had exchanged around ten messages with her prior to asking for a picture, so I would feel like an awful twat if I simply stopped messaging her upon seeing what she looks like. She's just not quite my type. But I have a date arranged with her for next week, so I'm open-minded about it. Pictures are often inaccurate anyway, and personality is very important.

Basically, there seems to be lots of nice girls who have hidden pics.

One person e-mailed me on POF last night, but just said "hi". So I deleted the message without replying.

I think I need a wee bit more than "hi" by way of an introduction??

Weird I saw loads of girl in Munster that I wanted to message...maybe we should swap :D

If only 'twere possible ;)

I had been looking at one profile of a girl based in Dublin for weeks. She's as cute as a button, really petite, brunette, seems bubbly.

I actually decided to message her last week, just to tell her I thought her profile was adorable, that it's a pity I'm not in the Dublin area, and that I hoped the guys up there were treating her well {winky face emoticon!}. She got back to me and all! Couldn't believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

One person e-mailed me on POF last night, but just said "hi". So I deleted the message without replying.

I think I need a wee bit more than "hi" by way of an introduction??

Agreed, a bit more than "hi" or similar would be great....but, it's a place to start. I get a lot of those and try to give the benefit of the doubt that they might just be a little shy, or slow to get started on a conversation but at least showing willing to start one.
    If you were in a pub and a girl walked over and said "hi", you'd answer, wouldn't you? I try to apply the same thinking online and, so far, it's paid off - lots of nice conversations, some nice dates, a couple of girls that will never be more than friends, but friends are great to make too.

If the profile and/or picture of the "hi" sender would interest you, then maybe reply and say the same, ask a few questions about her and if she answers and you get talking, than wasn't she right to say "hi"? :)

• Advertisement

If only 'twere possible ;)

I had been looking at one profile of a girl based in Dublin for weeks. She's as cute as a button, really petite, brunette, seems bubbly.

I actually decided to message her last week, just to tell her I thought her profile was adorable, that it's a pity I'm not in the Dublin area, and that I hoped the guys up there were treating her well {winky face emoticon!}. She got back to me and all! Couldn't believe it!

If you were thinking about her for a few weeks and she replied when you got in touch, I'd be thinking maybe ignore or manage the distance - what are you, 2-2.5 hours by car from her? There are places in the middle to meet, or places you'd travel to with a girl from your area, but instead you meet her there for the weekend or a day out or whatever.

This time next year you could be here telling us "I can't believe it, she moved here/I moved there, it's deadly!" :)

If you were thinking about her for a few weeks and she replied when you got in touch, I'd be thinking maybe ignore or manage the distance - what are you, 2-2.5 hours by car from her? There are places in the middle to meet, or places you'd travel to with a girl from your area, but instead you meet her there for the weekend or a day out or whatever.

This time next year you could be here telling us "I can't believe it, she moved here/I moved there, it's deadly!" :)

Well, I think she was more just saying thanks for your mail, rather than saying she was interested in me too. Dublin is 80 minutes up the motorway from me. Cork is 45 minutes down the motorway. Limerick is 45 minutes west of me, as is Waterford. So I fish from the Cork, Limerick and Waterford pools, though I'm moving to Cork on 20th June for a three-month internship.

Also, on your point above about 'hi' messages, I'm inclined to agree with you. Personally I find them really annoying, but then again, I have clocked up almost 5,000 posts on this website, so posting messages to people is second nature to me, whether that's here or on PoF. I think most people out there don't use the web as much as me, and this makes them less comfortable about communicating online. 'Hi' messages are often the result I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Chickaroo

I set up an account on POF and didn't put up a pic as I know its nothing to be ashamed of but I was afraid in case an ex of mine or somebody I knew seen it which in theory makes no sense because they are on it too, but I dunno I suppose I dont like people I know knowing my business :P I have no problem sharing my pic after a few messages back and forth!!

As for those "Hi" thats one way to get fast tracked to the deleted items with me!! Or people the call you "huni" eugh it actually creeps me out!!

I have been on one date so far and have one set for the weekend, first one although he was a lovely fella he just wasn't my type (looked alot diff IRL) so I am not holding out much hope for tomorrow in the thinking that I will go with low expectation and hopefully be pleasantly surprised :)

Other than those two guys nobody else has stood out to me in my whole month on the site so I have now deleted it......too many crazy peoples on there for me

P.S I obviously didn't get talking to any of the lads off here as you all seem like sound fellas :D

Jeez that was a bit of an essay like reply......apologies :p

Well, I think she was more just saying thanks for your mail, rather than saying she was interested in me too.

Obviously I can't say for sure, for many reasons, but if she didn't explicitly say that, I'd work on the assumption that a reply=start of a conversation=something that could go anywhere you both want it to. Something to lose by trying? ;)

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

He sounds like a very good guy to be honest. Note how he waited till the end of the conversation before asking for a picture. Nice touch.

I sent mails to two girls last weekend who didn't have pictures. But I liked their profiles. One of them is very pretty actually, and I think I have a date with her on Saturday (just have to set a time and place). The other girl is really nice too, but tbh I'm not really into her appearance. I had exchanged around ten messages with her prior to asking for a picture, so I would feel like an awful twat if I simply stopped messaging her upon seeing what she looks like. She's just not quite my type. But I have a date arranged with her for next week, so I'm open-minded about it. Pictures are often inaccurate anyway, and personality is very important.

He was quite nice on the emails tbh.

And yes I understand what you mean about not being your type, we all have some aspects of a person that we are attracted too, whether it be a smile or a twinkle in the eye to the more obvious pretty face, great legs etc...
    I've explained myself as a work in progress, I know I'm not skinny, but I'm also not the same as I was two years ago.
    Some boardsies have met me and while I don't consider myself one of the beautiful people, I don't think I'm a fugly either (least I hope not) :P

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm stll quite happy to remain Facebook friends with her as she was nice enough to let me know she didn't want to pursue any further, which I admire.
    As for the horizon, I don't know. I'm just gonna enjoy my extended birthday weekend and not think about it.

I never add anyone on my facebook unless I know them well. I think I've only 25 friends on it, and most of them are abroad. I've been asked a few times by girls on PoF to add them as friends, but I always decline or tell them I never use it. They only want to browse through my photos etc. to learn about me. And then if it doesn't work out (which, let's face it, it usually doesn't), you have them on your friends list, this person who you only met once and who didn't like you, or you them. I'd end up deleting them fairly promptly.

I'm just private about my facebook. I've been accused of 'hiding something' by girls I've declined in the past over it. Others have told me it's 'weird'. Meh, I don't care.

Also, I've decided to never EVER add the 'In a relationship with...' option on facebook again. Ever. Too much social drama results, too many overlapping friends who aren't really friends at all also result, and it can be logistically hard and socially awkward to cut contact as you desire, when a breakup happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Also, I've decided to never EVER add the 'In a relationship with...' option on facebook again. Ever. Too much social drama results, too many overlapping friends who aren't really friends at all also result, and it can be logistically hard and socially awkward to cut contact as you desire, when a breakup happens.

This!!

When i broke up wioth my last girlfriend, i waited a week before changing the status, just to make sure everyone was told rather than hearing it.

I was still called every name under the sun by some girlie type in the pub a few weeks later for "breaking up via facebook"...

F.>K That S>>T

I've explained myself as a work in progress, I know I'm not skinny, but I'm also not the same as I was two years ago.
    Some boardsies have met me and while I don't consider myself one of the beautiful people, I don't think I'm a fugly either (least I hope not) :P

I know what you mean. Two years ago I was, let me see, 33% bigger - and not in a good way ;) These days if anything I'm too much on the light side (according to statistics I'm now lighter than 79% of other men my height and age), but I'm as fit as a fiddle and I look very healthy. I could certainly bulk up a bit, but it's hard to find the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

80 mins up the motorway isn't that long in fairness. I'm interested in someone at the moment nearly 3- 4 hours off I think :o:o:o

As for fb friends, I don't think I'd add just randomers either

Having a car (and a nearby motorway) would be pretty much a necessity to somebody living far away. Not having a car could make it a lot more difficult to meet up with somebody regularly if they live on the other side of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Having a car (and a nearby motorway) would be pretty much a necessity to somebody living far away. Not having a car could make it a lot more difficult to meet up with somebody regularly if they live on the other side of the country.

Oh yeah I just assumed he had one since he said motorway :o

I think doing a germany-ireland ldr for a while has meant im used to it

I have the M8 about 500m from my front door. Vroom vroom!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh yeah I just assumed he had one since he said motorway :o

I think doing a germany-ireland ldr for a while has meant im used to it

I consider the next town to me to be a long distance :pac:

I was just speaking more from my own experience more than Tremlo's about the car and motorway. I know that for me getting to Limerick or somewhere would take God knows how long since I'd be relying on public transport. So I understand why people don't bother with emailing people on the other side of the country. I sort of had an LDR with a Polish girl that was living here before going home, but it wasn't really my thing.

I have the M8 about 500m from my front door. Vroom vroom!

If something kicks off with that girl from Dublin, can you imagine the impact of a spontaneous, wheel-spinning "see you in 2 hours" booty call? In fact, that's just enough time for her to shave her legs, try on several outfits, settle on the first one she tried, chill the drink of choice and put some something nice in the oven, before she lights the candles and skips around the house with excitement at your imminent arrival :D

Well I had some of that last year with someone from Cork. It went as follows for a few weeks...
    Somewhere in South Tipperary, a Nokia chimes 'Meep Meep' at dusk. It is high summer. "U fancy comin 2 cork for a while?"

Tremelo considers this momentarily. He gazes statuesquely at the southbound carriageway of the M8 from his living room window, as it meanders around foothills of the Galtees, towards the capital of the People's Republic.

"See you in 45".

Cork girl, several hours later: "U gonna stay the night?"

Tremelo considers this momentarily. He thinks of the northbound carriageway of the M8 as it careers towards the Premier County and, beyond that, the Pale. "Nah", he says with a laboured sigh. "I'll sleep in my own bed tonight. Catch you later." And with that he is gone, like a ship in the night.

Couldn't do that with public transport :D

:D LOL

Help guys

I am on POF right now and I keep seeing the exact same faces every time I log in - even when I go on to the next page(s)??

Is this normal?

Also, How do you edit a photo to put up on the site? I have a pic of me smiling but there are other people in it too.

Edit #2: is it easy to transfer a photo from, say, Facebook onto POF?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

just open the pic before you upload it, copy it, then just crop out everyone else in the pic, then just upload the copy man...

Well I had some of that last year with someone from Cork. It went as follows for a few weeks...
    Somewhere in South Tipperary, a Nokia chimes 'Meep Meep' at dusk. It is high summer. "U fancy comin 2 cork for a while?"

Tremelo considers this momentarily. He gazes statuesquely at the southbound carriageway of the M8 from his living room window, as it meanders around foothills of the Galtees, towards the capital of the People's Republic.

"See you in 45".

Cork girl, several hours later: "U gonna stay the night?"

Tremelo considers this momentarily. He thinks of the northbound carriageway of the M8 as it careers towards the Premier County and, beyond that, the Pale. "Nah", he says with a laboured sigh. "I'll sleep in my own bed tonight. Catch you later." And with that he is gone, like a ship in the night.
    Couldn't do that with public transport :D

Bit OT since the thread is about internet dating, but if I like her enough to drive 45 mins at the drop of a hat and she likes me enough to ask me to stay....well, my car could be stolen, blown up, or take on a life of its own and commit/solve crime all night and I wouldn't have a clue 'til the following morn afternoon :D

Also, How do you edit a photo to put up on the site? I have a pic of me smiling but there are other people in it too.

Apart from cropping the pic, if you have other pics up, to make sure it's obvious which one is you in the group shot, think about checking with the others in the shot to see if they'd mind you using it - a shot of you with friends and happy is a good impression to make. Personally, I think the shots with someone's face pixelated looks terrible and I'd recommend against using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

Nooooo:( !!!

Someone i'd been messaging sporadically on POF has closed their account.

Wish i'd replied to his last mail now, he was thriving in a stagnant fishpond.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement