Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Apart from cropping the pic, if you have other pics up, to make sure it's obvious which one is you in the group shot, think about checking with the others in the shot to see if they'd mind you using it - a shot of you with friends and happy is a good impression to make. Personally, I think the shots with someone's face pixelated looks terrible and I'd recommend against using it.

I found one and got help from the person who took it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I've been following this thread, and decided what the heck, I'll log on and try internet dating again...coz most of you on here seem pretty cool.

So I updated the profile etc - got a message from a man about my age, seemed interested in the same things - few emails back & forth. So I asked him where he lived in dublin...(his profile said he lived in dublin) and he replied that he's 'between homes at the moment, spend a huge amount of time in dublin but live in waterford and will happily commute....'

ANOTHER reason why I couldn't be bothered with internet dating...the lies!!!

He obviously says he lives in dublin to widen his net so to speak....men:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Fittle wrote: »
    I've been following this thread, and decided what the heck, I'll log on and try internet dating again...coz most of you on here seem pretty cool.

So I updated the profile etc - got a message from a man about my age, seemed interested in the same things - few emails back & forth. So I asked him where he lived in dublin...(his profile said he lived in dublin) and he replied that he's 'between homes at the moment, spend a huge amount of time in dublin but live in waterford and will happily commute....'

Can the generalisations, not all men are up to something. He could of course be a lying toerag, or he could be dividing his time as other people struggling to find work wherever they can can get it are, or be buying a house where he can afford it but tied to a job in Dublin, or have kids he needs to be close to as much as possible but not in a relationship with their mother, or be commuting for lots of reasons.
    If he is a liar, don't turn it into a judgement on all men, for everyone's sake. A few well chosen questions would pick his story apart and confirm your suspicions, or calm your fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

Snap. Guy messaged me there , profile clearly states Cork as his location , I then tell him i'm in Clonmel.

In a remarkable twist of fate he now happens to be in Clonmel. Joy.:P

Another reason why i'm getting miffed - the overuse of the copy and paste function. Insulting.

Fair enough and apologies - I genuinely forgot this was in the GC forum:o

I'm not tarring all men with the one brush - but this type of things happens regularly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Snap. Guy messaged me there , profile clearly states Cork as his location , I then tell him i'm in Clonmel.

In a remarkable twist of fate he now happens to be in Clonmel. Joy.:P

Same guy? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

hey all,
    I've been on and off those sites a good few times at this stage, never seems to workout.
    very hard to get a reply to be honest!
    any chance I could get some pointers if the ladies are willing to look at my profile? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

Same guy? :eek:

For shizzle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Seanbass wrote: »
    hey all,
    I've been on and off those sites a good few times at this stage, never seems to workout.
    very hard to get a reply to be honest!
    any chance I could get some pointers if the ladies are willing to look at my profile? :D

hit me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

would many here think glasses can be bit off putting to woman?

I wear my glasses most time as dont like contacts, but been considered laser eye surgery, havnt put up any pictures of me without.

• Advertisement

Fair enough and apologies - I genuinely forgot this was in the GC forum:o

I'm not tarring all men with the one brush - but this type of things happens regularly...

Maybe no need to apologise, I went off on one there, the generalisation ground my gears, but I do know there are men who don't help the rest of us with their behaviour on these sites.
    What also got me goat was that this thread has, for me, been a brilliant example of people giving unselfish help and support, delighting in each other's successes and sympathising with each other's misses, with no gender-lines or pattern of generalisations, all while staying on topic for thousands of posts, so the generalisation jumped out.

Maybe no need to apologise, I went off on one there, the generalisation ground my gears, but I do know there are men who don't help the rest of us with their behaviour on these sites.
    What also got me goat was that this thread has, for me, been a brilliant example of people giving unselfish help and support, delighting in each other's successes and sympathising with each other's misses, with no gender-lines or pattern of generalisations, all while staying on topic for thousands of posts, so the generalisation jumped out.

I agree completely, and that's exactly why I decided to give it another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

manafana wrote: »

I wear my glasses most time as dont like contacts, but been considered laser eye surgery, havnt put up any pictures of me without.

Nope wouldn't put me off anyway.
    Wear your glasses and be proud! We are a dying breed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

is there many people under 24 on pof cos im 19 and i dont seem ta see many people?

amandaf675 wrote: »
    is there many people under 24 on pof cos im 19 and i dont seem ta see many people?

There may not be, but PoF is a bit badly organised on this score - you can't change your age if you make a mistake afaik and it doesn't seem to update ages properly. There's also a lot of liars on there ;) You may want to set the search range wider and just check the ages as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Tremelo wrote: »
    I never add anyone on my facebook unless I know them well. I think I've only 25 friends on it, and most of them are abroad. I've been asked a few times by girls on PoF to add them as friends, but I always decline or tell them I never use it. They only want to browse through my photos etc. to learn about me.

I knew this when she asked. My response was, "So you want to make sure I'm the guy I'm claiming to be? Go for it." No harm in that. sure I can delete here later if I see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

manafana wrote: »

No, I like guys with glasses! Not the bottle top kind mind you but I do like the geek chic look. I'd look twice at a photo of a guy wearing glasses. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

^^^ That's nice to know. I am ordinarily bespectacled!

Hope the date went well for you.

Tremelo wrote: »
    ^^^ That's nice to know. I am ordinarily bespectacled!

Hope the date went well for you.

He was bespectacled. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

awww boards romance...

sooooo cute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Larianne wrote: »
    No, I like guys with glasses! Not the bottle top kind mind you but I do like the geek chic look. I'd look twice at a photo of a guy wearing glasses. :pac:

I think every last one of my exes had glasses :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

There are an awful lot of women on these sites who dont help us women either. Plenty on there just for the attention and the thrill of the chase but have no intentions of following dates through. And naturally these are the women the best guys want and leave the trolls for the rest of us! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

amandaf675 wrote: »

Well on my profile i don't want guys younger than 35 messaging me and i'm getting loads of messages saying 'do you not want a toyboy', 'i'm young but i've plenty of stamina' 'never thought i wouldn't get sex cos of my age' 'that's ageism' yadda yadda. I heard there was a way of blocking anyone you don't want messaging you but not sure how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Jenna69 wrote: »
    Well on my profile i don't want guys younger than 35 messaging me and i'm getting loads of messages saying 'do you not want a toyboy', 'i'm young but i've plenty of stamina' 'never thought i wouldn't get sex cos of my age' 'that's ageism' yadda yadda. I heard there was a way of blocking anyone you don't want messaging you but not sure how to do that.

http://www.plentyoffish.com/mailsettings.aspx

and set the age between options :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Is this guy on OKCupid? I think I know the guy you are talking about,I know him in real life.
    He did live in Dublin, lost his job and went back down the country where it was cheaper to live while looking for a job!
    Tis not lies, he just doesn't have a fixed and solid situation at present and there are many many more like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

MudSkipper wrote: »
    http://www.plentyoffish.com/mailsettings.aspx

and set the age between options :-)

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

:eek:Where do you live!!!??

In Dublin!

I've only ever had 1 Dub boyfriend! :D

Like the country men ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Misticles wrote: »
    In Dublin!

I've only ever had 1 Dub boyfriend! :D

Like the country men ha

Want another one?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Want another one?? ;)

facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement

Want another one?? ;)

:D

How's the PoF going for you Mickey? Have you finished your profile?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement