Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

she screams of avoid, avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just had date #2 with a girl I met on PoF. Just not feeling it, so there won't be a third. Back to square one. But I'm mad busy for the next two weeks so I think I'll lay off it for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

have to cancel my accounts now. 'Twas a fun experiment while it lasted. You'll all forgive me if I watch the thread and see how you all get on.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Galvasean wrote: »
    have to cancel my accounts now. 'Twas a fun experiment while it lasted. You'll all forgive me if I watch the thread and see how you all get on.

Cancelling for good or bad reasons Galva?

Cancelling for good or bad reasons Galva?

Good. Got back with my ex recently (not internet related) so all is good in my hood.

• Advertisement

Good. Got back with my ex recently (not internet related) so all is good in my hood.

Good man - hope that goes well for you :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it bad form to just not reply to a message if you're not interested in someone?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it bad form to just not reply to a message if you're not interested in someone?

If they have put some effort into the email, or you've had some interactions then yes!

I had a guy do that to me in the last few days, he emailed me, back and forth for a while, then nothing - I've seen him online a lot since, but I sent the last email and he didn't respond. I find it extremely rude.

I had a guy do that to me in the last few days, he emailed me, back and forth for a while, then nothing - I've seen him online a lot since, but I sent the last email and he didn't respond. I find it extremely rude.

That's one of the most frustrating aspects of online dating in my opinion; striking up a bit of a back n' forth with someone only for them to lose interest and start ignoring you in what is basically mid-conversation.

That's one of the most frustrating aspects of online dating in my opinion; striking up a bit of a back n' forth with someone only for them to lose interest and start ignoring you in what is basically mid-conversation.

Not even just with online dating, I've had people do it in real life too - I just find it really rude and kinda cruel if you've left someone hanging on the other end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There was a fair bit of debate about this earlier in the thread (not expecting you to have read every post, it is a long thread!) and the view seemed to be split. A lot of people (including me) would rather not get an email saying the person was not interested. Then others would prefer the message. But that can lead to awkward or even angry responses.

Here was my original thoughts on messages saying the other person was not interested.
    Wouldn't it be a bit annoying and a let down to get mail on a dating site and for it to be somebody saying "Not Interested!". Imagine the stages you'd go through:

Oh look an email...yah! :)
    Oh it's from Miss X, she seemed nice :D
    Oh.....she's not interested :(:confused:

Alright so I am joking a bit, but you get the point.

(If you go back to around post 400 in the thread you'll see a lot of chat about this topic)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If they have put some effort into the email, or you've had some interactions then yes!

All it said was "Hi" so not much effort and there hadn't been any communication between us beforehand.

All it said was "Hi" so not much effort and there hadn't been any communication between us beforehand.

Those I tend to ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Met someone tonight (tried this malark)
    Her photos didn't do her justice, very good looking. But dull...

How to proceed, do the right thing or the bad thing. Maybe the bad thing is the right thing. Maybe the right thing is the bad thing.

Whats right or wrong these days anyway

hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Tremelo wrote: »
    Just had date #2 with a girl I met on PoF. Just not feeling it, so there won't be a third. Back to square one. But I'm mad busy for the next two weeks so I think I'll lay off it for a while anyway.

Jaysis, hope that's not me! :cool: Also on 2nd date tonight. :pac:

Also, got rejected from beautifulpeople.com. waaahh. Next time I'll make sure its a titty picture! :D

Larianne wrote: »
    Also, got rejected from beautifulpeople.com. waaahh. Next time I'll make sure its a titty picture! :D

How does that work? Do they send you a mail saying "you're no welcome here"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im sure we will be only too happy to give you some feedback on said titty pics Larianne.

>.>

<.<

>.>
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ladies, please be advised that I am available to screen these photos before you send them :pac:

Edit: Damn Otis and his Ninja Perv fingers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

If you like the profile, why not reply? You'd answer someone who said "hi" down the pub, wouldn't you? If things don't improve, you can always end it politely.

How does that work? Do they send you a mail saying "you're no welcome here"?
    Unfortunately, your application to BeautifulPeople.com was not successful.
    Please note, only one in five applicants are currently accepted into BeautifulPeople.com
    BeautifulPeople invites you to apply again, perhaps with a better picture and a more interesting profile description.

Well I didn't fill out a profile. I though my beauty would have been enough! Guess I should have mentioned my volunteer work and hopes to save the world! :rolleyes:
    Im sure we will be only too happy to give you some feedback on said titty pics Larianne.

>.>

<.<

>.>
    :pac:
    Ladies, please be advised that I am available to screen these photos before you send them :pac:

Edit: Damn Otis and his Ninja Perv fingers :pac:

Thanks lads, I'll keep yous in mind. ;)

• Advertisement

Well I didn't fill out a profile. I though my beauty would have been enough! Guess I should have mentioned my volunteer work and hopes to save the world! :rolleyes:

I guess you misjudged us beautiful people. We are more than just pretty faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Met someone tonight (tried this malark)
    Her photos didn't do her justice, very good looking. But dull...

How to proceed, do the right thing or the bad thing. Maybe the bad thing is the right thing. Maybe the right thing is the bad thing.

Whats right or wrong these days anyway

hmmmm

would you think there's any point in giving her another chance?

if you dont, and you want to let her down gently (and yes i would suggest actually letting her know) you could say something like you didn't really feel your personalities matched well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

would you think there's any point in giving her another chance?

if you dont, and you want to let her down gently (and yes i would suggest actually letting her know) you could say something like you didn't really feel your personalities matched well.

yeah that's certainly the right thing to do. but, and I wont endear myself to anyone here, she's incredibly hot.
    So I suppose I better just tell her that, that I dont know if we would get on (she's probably thinking the same thing ffs) but that... damn, you're hot

If you like the profile, why not reply? You'd answer someone who said "hi" down the pub, wouldn't you? If things don't improve, you can always end it politely.

I'm definitley not interested I don't think :) and I don't want to start a convo just so I can tell them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

According to a girl that I was chatting to, her & all her friends have several profiles each on some free sites like POF. So you could easily get several mails from the same person using different names.

When I asked why they did this I was told that it is a good way of sussing people out. For example if they suspect that he might be a player then they send him a suggestive mail offering a hint of no strings & see if he swallows the bait.

Apparently it is also common for girls to get their mate to mail a guy that they are interested in as it is easy to ask questions & to often get different answers.

All very sneaky but not a bad idea.

yeah that's certainly the right thing to do. but, and I wont endear myself to anyone here, she's incredibly hot.
    So I suppose I better just tell her that, that I dont know if we would get on (she's probably thinking the same thing ffs) but that... damn, you're hot

hmmm well it could be good or could be bad, to tell her she's really hot but you've no chemistry. if she's used to hearing it she won't be happy. i mean if she finds it hard to find someone to like her for her personality that is. so maybe leave out the 'you're hot' part.

Discodog wrote: »
    According to a girl that I was chatting to, her & all her friends have several profiles each on some free sites like POF. So you could easily get several mails from the same person using different names.

When I asked why they did this I was told that it is a good way of sussing people out. For example if they suspect that he might be a player then they send him a suggestive mail offering a hint of no strings & see if he swallows the bait.

Apparently it is also common for girls to get their mate to mail a guy that they are interested in as it is easy to ask questions & to often get different answers.

Man, they don't have much of a life do they?? No wonder I keep seeing guys profiles with "Genuine woman/lady wanted". :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Man, they don't have much of a life do they?? No wonder I keep seeing guys profiles with "Genuine woman/lady wanted". :cool:

Agreed 100%.

Thats horribly underhanded.

Discodog wrote: »

This ****, I hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

But who says that the guys aren't doing it as well. It is a very easy & kind of logical way to see if someone is consistent & genuine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement