Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door-to-door Salesmen

Options
  • 04-08-2010 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Today, a door-to-door salesman from AIG turned up at the door to my second-floor apartment. I am not used to salesmen, as the building has two locked doors separating it from the street.

I asked him how he had gotten into the building, and he replied that he had buzzed rooms until someone had let him in. I asked him if he were the guest of a resident, and he said that he was not. I asked him to leave the building, and he refused on the grounds that I 'had no authority'.

What rights do these salesmen have to enter secured buildings and go door-to-door?
    Are they required to leave if they are asked to?
    Are they required to carry and/or show identification?

I've sent the same questions off to the National Consumer Agency - we'll see what they send back to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

tell him to f*** off and shut the door in him

problemo solved.

not too difficult is it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

This is just my opinion, none of this is legal advice....
    What rights do these salesmen have to enter secured buildings and go door-to-door?
    He has no right of entry per se (otherwise he'd have a key) but he was invited in by another resident, and once invited I expect he has the same rights as anyone else to travel the open communal areas and knock on doors. He has no right to force entry to the building nor does he have any right to enter your private residence unless you invite him in.
    Are they required to leave if they are asked to?
    Once he stays in the communal areas I doubt there's any obligation for him to heed your request.
    Are they required to carry and/or show identification?
    Legally required? Nope, no more than you or I. Professionally required? Possibly, but most likely not, especially if he is not a direct employee of AIG.

It's bad form on the resident who let him in if he/she just did it to stop the buzzer. It only serves to reward that sort of activity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why would you ask him to leave the building? He's right, you don't have any authority to do that.

In future, just say you're not interested and close the door. Really, life doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Why would you ask him to leave the building? He's right, you don't have any authority to do that.

In future, just say you're not interested and close the door. Really, life doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Agree with you there. No point in making a big fuss about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looking at it from the OP's point of view, anybody can ring doorbells till they get let in, then 'case' the flats looking for one with no reply, and if they have the equipment, gain access.

The whole point of security is so you don't have to be hassled or worried about this kind of thing, but I would think the best way to deal with it would be to bring it up at a residents' meeting, or inform the security company that looks after the block.

• Advertisement
Advertisement