Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Soup

Options
  • 04-08-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

My sister would like chicken soup and i said i would make it, from scratch. Does anyone have a good recipe? Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

eh...

chicken.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

ah come on!!! help me. a newb.
    chickens a good start alright. a whole chicken, bought in the supermarket?
    they are all huge, would i not be better buying wings, legs, breasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

:D

only joking.

full chicken...or pieces will do..

make sure they have bones :)

{whole is preferable}

boil chicken in pot of water- take it out when cooked. {refer to cookers manu. spec/chicken label}

add veg to water

then add

chicken stock cubes,{its kinda cheating but hey;)}

while veg is cooking strip meat off carcass,

add to cooked veg.add some cream/milk to thicken it a little.

salt and pepper to taste.

Voila!

thankyouuuuuuuuuu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually use one leg/thigh portion and one breast portion, with skin on.
    2 carrots, diced
    1 large onion, diced
    2 sticks of celery, diced
    A chicken stock cube
    A handful of barley or soup mix
    Some fresh thyme or a good pinch of dried mixed herbs
    Salt and black pepper to season
    Enough water to cover it all

Bring it to the boil, partly cover and simmer for an hour and a half.

• Advertisement

thanks dizzy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Reincarnated chicken:

Day 1
    Wash chicken inside and out with cold water and a little vinegar. Pat dry with clean kitchen paper. Coat with honey and sprinkle with salt, then lemon juice. Roast at 220C, first on the breast, then turn up so the breast crisps up, for about an hour and a half, on a bed of peeled vegetables with olive oil drizzled over them and herbs - bay leaf, rosemary, thyme - scattered through: carrots, onions, garlic, parsnips, sweet potatoes, parboiled potatoes. Serve with freshly mashed potatoes and some greens (broccoli, kale...), and a dipping sauce made of olive oil, a dash of sesame oil, orange or lemon or lime juice, soy sauce and loads of roughly-chopped garlic.

Day 2
    Strip any remaining meat off the chicken and eat cold with the remaining dipping sauce spooned over, and with fresh green vegetables, or make couscous with the chicken meat with onions, garlic, peppers, parsley.

Day 3
    Chicken soup: a) Stock: Put all the bones of the chicken into a pot with a bay leaf, a broken carrot, a halved onion and the outer stalks of a celery; fill up with water, bring to a boil and simmer for a couple of hours. Drain off the bones and vegetables and give the vegetables (though not the bay leaf or the bones) to the dog. b) Soup: Peel three or four carrots and chop them in wedges (more flavour as more surface exposed); peel and chop an onion, chop about three inches of celery. Saute these in oil with a little butter added to make it nice; pour on the stock, cook until the flavour of the vegetables infuses into the liquid (about an hour), taste and add a handful of chopped parsley and any seasoning needed (and depending on how strong your stock is, you may want to add a little extra flavour from half a sliced-up stock cube); mix in and serve with crusty white bread and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Basic chicken soup...

In a pot add:
    1 chicken (whole)
    4 large carrots (in chunks)
    4 sticks celery (in chunks)
    1 large onion (in quarters)
    10 pepper corns
    2 bay leaves
    a sprig of thyme
    Pack veg down around chicken as well as possible. Add cold water until contents are just about covered & bring to the boil. When it starts to boil turn down heat & simmer for 1hr 30 mins to 2 hrs depending on size.
    Remove chicken & allow to cool until you can handle it & then strip flesh from the carcass. Tear into chunks & add back to soup to warm through.

thanks to you both, also!
    Dizzy can i ask, do you ever bother NOT to put in the stock cube, and what difference do you think it really makes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

thanks to you both, also!
    Dizzy can i ask, do you ever bother NOT to put in the stock cube, and what difference do you think it really makes?

I've never left it out but I'm pretty sure it would be quite bland without it. If you were using a whole chicken you might not need it but I only use a couple of joints in my soup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's no harm in adding a stock cube. I'm a die-hard Oxo man myself. It gives a fuller flavour.

I didn't include it above as the recipe works well without it. Personally, I prefer the fuller flavour and use them when I make the soup.

The cubes have a high salt content, so I generally never add any extra salt.

thanks very much!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Are these soups suitable for freezing?

TrueDub wrote: »
    Are these soups suitable for freezing?

Yes, I find soups freeze very well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Yes, I find soups freeze very well.

I know most do, but I'm concerned around freezing meat soups, especially chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

TrueDub wrote: »
    I know most do, but I'm concerned around freezing meat soups, especially chicken.

No issues freezing them, as long as they're not left lyign around at room temp for a few days! The $hit is boiled out of the chicken to make the stock anyway, so no residual bacteria is left behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

mmmm making chicken soup perfect weather for it delish cant wait

I often make the stop, strain it well and then freeze it for a while so when we come back to it it's desirably delicious, not oh-chicken-again-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Boil cooked chicken.
    Strip off pices.
    2 carrots, 2 onions.
    1 chicken stock cube and 1 vegetable stock cube.
    Small drop of flour.
    Dash of ketchup.
    Small bit of pepper and mixed herbs.
    Cut up 2 potatos small
    and add in some frozen peas.

Boil for about 30 minutes and let it simmer for about 2 hours and voila. Dont look the best but its lovely the way the grandmother made it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Boil cooked chicken.
    Strip off pices.
    2 carrots, 2 onions.
    1 chicken stock cube and 1 vegetable stock cube.
    Small drop of flour.
    Dash of ketchup.
    Small bit of pepper and mixed herbs.
    Cut up 2 potatos small
    and add in some frozen peas.

Boil for about 30 minutes and let it simmer for about 2 hours and voila. Dont look the best but its lovely the way the grandmother made it.

did this today for lunch, but didn't add the peas and then blitzed it to make it smoothish and was absolutely yummy. Thanks Nuts102 for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Quick question - I am having roast chicken for dinner today and want to use the carcass for stock/soup. I am going to put the carcass with some leftover meat into a large saucepan, add the usual stuff and simmer away for a few hours.

I always find spooning the fat off difficult. Could I leave it sit and then spoon the solidified fat off instead? Does it form a crust? If I do that, I'll have to take the liquid out, put it in another bowl and wait for the fat to solidify, remove it and then add it back in to the bones/veg? Or should I leave the fat altogether?

Also does anyone have any tips on how to give it more depth of flavour? Maybe some wine?

Strain it off, let it cool, put it in the fridge.

If by the usual stuff you mean carrots, celery and onions, a couple of bay leaves, a bunch of herbs, that's grand.

Don't put wine in at the stock stage.

If it's not concentrated enough in flavour, you might use less water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it's not concentrated enough in flavour, you might use less water.

Or reduce it by boiling it after it is strained and degreased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Excellent, thanks guys.

Advertisement