Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question to experienced sailors

• 04-08-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and indeed new to sailing. I have a question that one of you experienced dinghy sailors out there may be able to help me with. I am looking at buying a second hand Gull Spirit GRS dinghy. It's in good condition, only a couple of years old and comes with it's own trailer and small outboard engine. It's going for 2,500 euros and of course all the relevant kit along with it. My question is do you think that's a reasonable price or would there be room for haggling with it. It's being sold through a sort of friend of a friend who because of the current state of things here is having to emigrate with his family. Just wondering what your thoughts on it would be as I was originally looking down the laser market for dinghys but saw this on our notice board at work.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

In a word Yes, it is worth 2500E as long as it is in vgc. However you do not state what type of sailing you want to do?. If it is for single handed with the odd small crew in very sheltered waters then the Gull is grand, if you want something to take 3 - 4 people occasionally and do some coastal cruising, ie out in the open sea then it is not the most suitable boat. I have sailed lots of dinghies and dayboats over the years and gained quite a bit of experience. let me know if I can be on any further help in choosing a suitable craft. I currently have a Cornish Coble which can take up to 4 people or sail on my own in quite rough weatherfely if needs be. It is also good for fishing, picnicing etc and you can stand up and walk around in ti with no fear of it capsizing.

Advertisement