Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this reputable?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Im looking for accomodation in Dublin and I stumbled accross this website

http://www.dublinlettings.com

Im looking to move into a place I have visited it and am happy that it exists, but Im wondering about the site and how trustworthy it is. They want me to transfer a deposit into an account, the account of the owner they say, to hold the property. Once I get references sorted they will ask for first months rent and then allow me to move in. If not, they say they will refund me my money promptly.

Is this normal, should I trust this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I wouldn't hand any money over until you've signed a lease.

Tell them you're happy to provide references and so on but you won't be paying them a cent until you've signed a contract. Holding deposits? This isn't 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I don't know this site and if you don't know somebody of the agents personally, I would never transfer money to an account with no security in your hands.
    did you sign a contract? if you signed a legal contract for renting the place with all details in it, then I think it would be approbriate to pay a deposit, as you have something in your hands if things get dodgy, but not beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In fairness, they have copies of their regulatory registration here
    http://www.dublinlettings.com/inner.php5?s=6&tmpl=auctioneerslicense&name=Auctioneers+license

This includes the owners name and address, so it looks above board.

The only concern I would have is that I don't see an affiliation to IAVI, not that it means much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

shoegirl wrote: »
    In fairness, they have copies of their regulatory registration here
    http://www.dublinlettings.com/inner.php5?s=6&tmpl=auctioneerslicense&name=Auctioneers+license

This includes the owners name and address, so it looks above board.
    It's also out of date by about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I used this agency the last time I rented and they were really helpful and I had no problems.

I too transferred the deposit and 1st months rent to their account. I got my deposit back in full a few weeks ago with no bother from the landlord.

I had a good experience with this company and would have gone with them again if they would have found something suitable for me this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

cheers guys, it was actually for a friend, although it just seemed easier to write that it was for me at the time - although I am looking to move out myself!!

thanks again

Advertisement