Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Tunnel - run by idiots ?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 6:50pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

Travelled up to Limerick today and used the tunnel. I exited at the Caherdavin Toll "Plaza".

However the great and the good have decided to fence off the express lane so despite having a tag I had to join the queue.

Coming back was worse. All three toll-lanes were marked as closed (the express lane was fenced off). The queue was in the leftmost lane and was quite slow. My tag wasn't recognised so after a bit of flutering I was asked for my tag number. In the middle of reciting it the barrier suddenly popped up .

We've quite a few toll plazas in the country. Is it so hard to figure out how to work the new one ?

The signage after that exit is quite poor as well - you've pointed Straight on to go to UL/Gaelic Grounds but that's the last sign you'll see.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

teething problems with equipment and green new staff.Hardly fair to call them idiots.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The same courtesy wouldn't extended if it was Irish Rail or Dublin Bus or Three or Vodafone (some of the current whipping boys on Boards) would it ?

There has been a fortune of taxpayers bobs paid out for this - it's not wrong to expect all the bits to be working on Day 9.

If a company is opening up and charging the full fees then the full service should be supplied - this applies to the tunnel, T2 and anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

corktina wrote: »
    teething problems with equipment and green new staff.Hardly fair to call them idiots.

Well, the people we pay highly in the nra are idiots to allow the road open and the toll concession holders get income before the system is working properly.

maybe the people running the toll road and getting the users money despite not having their systems are idiots for not having their systems working properly and inconveniencing their customers.

But it is unfair calling the actual staff idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

are the staff irish ?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

charlemont wrote: »

does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And a concessionaire with lengthy experience running another toll plaza in Cork. Entirely fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

does it matter?

generally means higher incompetence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

charlemont wrote: »

Many of the toll staff are not.

I applied and was told I needed 5 years toll collecting experience. Do these people have it, hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Many of the toll staff are not.

I applied and was told I needed 5 years toll collecting experience. Do these people have it, hmm...

LOL! What skills would one have after 5 years of toll collecting experience, that one wouldn't have after 5 days of experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Wibbler wrote: »
    LOL! What skills would one have after 5 years of toll collecting experience, that one wouldn't have after 5 days of experience?

the innate ability to piss people off by handing them huge amounts of carefully counted out 5c coins :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭gmale

parsi wrote: »
    There has been a fortune of taxpayers bobs paid out for this - it's not wrong to expect all the bits to be working on Day 9.

Surely that is not true...I assume that it is a Public Private Partnership and although I dont know the details of this specific one, i know in that past on most PPPs, the private companies involved foot the bill for construction and then reaps the rewards once everything is up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

When I went through the tunnel last night, the Northbound side of the tunnel appeared to be closed. Is traffic typically supposed to accumulate until it re-opens or would traffic approaching be directed off at the last exit?

Also I had no issues heading Southbound/for Dublin through the main plaza with a tag in the dedicated lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

When I went through the tunnel last night, the Northbound side of the tunnel appeared to be closed. Is traffic typically supposed to accumulate until it re-opens or would traffic approaching be directed off at the last exit?

Also I had no issues heading Southbound/for Dublin through the main plaza with a tag in the dedicated lane.

Were there red "X" markings over the bore at the other side?

Thats to prevent traffic from driving up the wrong bore the wrong direction ;)

Advertisement