Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone buy the Blu Rays of Original Series?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

If your a fan of the original series you should really pick these up on Blu Ray. Amazing picture quality in original aspect ratio. Some nice extras too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If your a fan of the original series you should really pick these up on Blu Ray. Amazing picture quality in original aspect ratio. Some nice extras too.

I read about the remasters with the new CGI, and it was officially confirmed that the CGI scenes were rendered at 16:9.

I watched a few episodes on CBS Action, and guess what? The whole show was 16:9. It was filmed on 35mm so they obviously cropped the top and bottom panels and introduced more information on the sides. It looked alright for the most part, although at rare times character's heads looked a little too trimmed!

Do the Blu-Ray follow this new format? Or do they preserve the 4:3 TV ratio throughout?

Personally if I were watching this on a big screen, I'd actually rather the new 16:9 reframing. Despite the occasional cropping, it made for an overall more enjoyable view.

Now if only they'd simply remastered the space-shots, rather than re-doing them in almost cartoonish CG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

4:3 throughout with option to watch either enhanced or original episode. It is a pity that CBS didn't originally film in WS but the picture quality is so good you soon forget that it's 4:3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    4:3 throughout with option to watch either enhanced or original episode. It is a pity that CBS didn't originally film in WS but the picture quality is so good you soon forget that it's 4:3.

That's the thing, it's a 35mm master---the Blu's could easily have been done 16:9---especially as CBS showed it in 16:9...a shame, really.

Advertisement