Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v FC Rabotnicki Thur 7:45 [MATCH THREAD]

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Very happy with that performance.

New signings look quality.

Well done Roy.

Ditto. And what about Stevie, looks so much happier and played so well. He's a centre mid, end of story. Cole is the link, Stevie is the box to box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Gerrard produced a fine display in midfield too, he really should have played there a lot more often last season, this lark about him not having the disipline to play there just doesn't wash with me.

Gerrard produced a fine display in midfield too, he really should have played there a lot more often last season, this lark about him not having the disipline to play there just doesn't wash with me.

If you have someone disciplined beside him, Gerrard can run the show. He was my man of the match, closely followed by Cole. Jovanovic impressed me immensely.

And before people say what about the opposition, does anyone remember some of our performances against weaker oppostion in recent times?

The way the team went about things was wonderful. No more passing the ball endlessly across the back four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Really enjoyed the football we played tonight albeit against very week opposition. Some difference in the Rafa way, cant wait to see us play in that style with our proper starting xl.
    But as Cara said ' judge us at christmas '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Really enjoyed the football we played tonight albeit against very week opposition. Some difference in the Rafa way, cant wait to see us play in that style with our proper starting xl.
    But as Cara said ' judge us at christmas '

Lets not get carried away. It wasn't that good.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

If you have someone disciplined beside him, Gerrard can run the show. He was my man of the match, closely followed by Cole. Jovanovic impressed me immensely.

And before people say what about the opposition, does anyone remember some of our performances against weaker oppostion in recent times?

The way the team went about things was wonderful. No more passing the ball endlessly across the back four.

Its amazing we will have such a difference of opinion, there was no way Gerrard was man of the match, no chance. He gave the ball away far too often.

I think the same flaws of Stevie playing in the middle of midfield showed tonight, his main asset is his burst of athleticism but he just isn't a playmaker who dictates the play.
    He is a superb player but all this crap of him being a world class centre mid is pie in the sky stuff. He is not cute enough a footballer, his main strengths are not those of a central midfielder.
    He has never done it in the middle of midfield against top top sides. His best games have come in a more advanced role, and teams have even copped onto that now. Cole should play off Torres and personally i'd play Stevie advanced wide right in dirks role.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Its amazing we will have such a difference of opinion, there was no way Gerrard was man of the match, no chance. He gave the ball away far too often.

I think the same flaws of Stevie playing in the middle of midfield showed tonight, his main asset is his burst of athleticism but he just isn't a playmaker who dictates the play.
    He is a superb player but all this crap of him being a world class centre mid is pie in the sky stuff. He is not cute enough a footballer, his main strengths are not those of a central midfielder.
    He has never done it in the middle of midfield against top top sides. His best games have come in a more advanced role, and teams have even copped onto that now. Cole should play off Torres and personally i'd play Stevie advanced wide right in dirks role.

Istanbul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ditto. And what about Stevie, looks so much happier and played so well. He's a centre mid, end of story. Cole is the link, Stevie is the box to box.

Maybe now that he has lost a bit of his pace but his most effective seasons for us, by a singificant distance, has been while playing behind the striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Istanbul.

only after hamman came on and did all the dirty work, he was shocking in the first half, kaka ripped us apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

K-9 wrote: »

Indeed. There is very very little going on today that we haven't seen on countless occassions over the past 10 years. We were playing extremely poor quality opposition and it is pointless taking too much away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Istanbul.

Watch the DVD again. I know you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gerrard walked through that game, doing very little really.

he did a couple of things really well, but also gave the ball away cheaply.

Cole was MOTM by some distance, followed by Kelly, then Jovanovic IMO.

i'd be uncomfortable with Gerrard in the middle against good sides. he just does not have the discipline, and he'll try the Hollywood pass all too often from there. he does his best work further up the field where he can impose his explosiveness to its full effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Istanbul.

You mean in the second half when Hamann replaced him in the centre of midfield and partnered Alonso there? When Gerrard was pushed further forward, given a free role, from the second half onwards and was played to his strengths?

Yep perfect example of how he is not suited to playing at CM against a top team, but also a perfect example of how effective he can be in an advanced free role against a top team.

Really says something about his CM performances if you have to try and pick a game from more than five years ago as an example of how good he is in the role. CM is not where he excels when on form, he excels on the right and in an advanced role when on form.

Jayob10 wrote: »

I'm sorry but that's just guff, when he was on he ran the show in the middle of the park tonight, linking up defense with attack. He played some superb balls tonight and produced a quality display.

We'd all love Alonso back to be pulling the strings in the middle of the park for us but obviously that's not going to happen, at the moment there's nobody other than Gerrard to play there and dictate play for us. It'll give us something we were severely lacking last season.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Gerrard walked through that game, doing very little really.

he did a couple of things really well, but also gave the ball away cheaply.

Cole was MOTM by some distance, followed by Kelly, then Jovanovic IMO.

i'd be uncomfortable with Gerrard in the middle against good sides. he just does not have the discipline, and he'll try the Hollywood pass all too often from there. he does his best work further up the field where he can impose his explosiveness to its full effect.

Who'll get the ball up there to him though? If Gerrard doesn't have the dicipline for CM Aqua definitely doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Who'll get the ball up there to him though? If Gerrard doesn't have the dicipline for CM Aqua definitely doesn't.

you were right; right now Gerrard is the best we've got for there.

but i just wouldn't be entirely comfortable with him, he'd have to prove himself there all over again IMO.

maybe Roy will beat some discipline into him, as he obviously has all the talent in the world, and could play that position at a world class level if he put his mind to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Really good performance tonight. Some great football played. I was p!ssed off having to play this round, but it's worked out great. It was like a friendly with a competitive edge to it.

I thought Joe Cole played so well tonight. He is gonna be such a huge player for us this season. A creative player who provides a lot of diversity.

I wouldn't get carried away with this at all though. Arsenal on the 15th is so different a prospect, it's alien!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

So the preliminary verdict on Pacheco after tonight is.........?????
    (I didnt see the match, so I am relying on you guys here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

So the preliminary verdict on Pacheco after tonight is.........?????
    (I didnt see the match, so I am relying on you guys here)
    He seemed to be trying too hard tonight imo which to be fair to him why wouldn't he. His games are limited and he wanted to score a goal, he was also nervous and chose a few bad decisions on some occasions, but he does look a class act just his touch and ideas were enough for me even if some of them didn't come off tonight.

I'd say he would benefit more if he was given a big run of games as he might play with ease then and a smile on his face. Unlikely though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Finical wrote: »
    He seemed to be trying too hard tonight imo which to be fair to him why wouldn't he. His games are limited and he wanted to score a goal, he was also nervous and chose a few bad decisions on some occasions, but he does look a class act just his touch and ideas were enough for me even if some of them didn't come off tonight.

I'd say he would benefit more if he was given a big run of games as he might play with ease then and a smile on his face. Unlikely though. :(

I think this is what everybody sees in the fella. I'd love to see him out on loan if he is not going to get a chance, help him adapt to top flight football. Reserves seem to be too much of a step off top flight football to help him(or any other prospect) adapt

• Advertisement

I think this is what everybody sees in the fella. I'd love to see him out on loan if he is not going to get a chance, help him adapt to top flight football. Reserves seem to be too much of a step off top flight football to help him(or any other prospect) adapt

Would prob be better off going out on loan unless he could get some game time on the right wing, he started on the right tonight but switched and played most of the game on left. Think we have to many left sided players that be in front of him

K-9 wrote: »

Wasn't really getting carried away just thought they looked fresh and the movement was good. Cant wait to see what there like in the Prem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Wasn't really getting carried away just thought they looked fresh and the movement was good. Cant wait to see what there like in the Prem
    Starting in Europe early often leads to a stronger start in the league so this could be very good for LFC and because it was only 2 extra games it's unlikely to burn the squad out as it did to Villa a couple of seasons back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought Lucas played very well and Gerrard alongside him. Gerrard seemed a bit lost back there for the first 10 minutes or so but settled in nicely I thought. Aquilani impressed me when he came on for Gerrard too. I was also very impressed by Jovanovic too, really looks like a classy player. Clearly Cole had an excellent game but it was all the movement around him that gave him space to work.

As said its a pretty poor team they were playing but there was a lot of good movement all over the pitch. Just thinking about it and there is potentially 5 players missing from the starting lineup there. Reina, Agger, Kuyt, Torres and whoever will be left back. Of course Mascherano isn't gone yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its vital Pacheco is not loaned out, clearly forces are at work to smuggle him away to Spain and if he feels he is being put on the long finger at Anfield there is much greater chance he'll leave. Give him a cast iron guaranteed berth in the EL squad and the domestic cups plus PL bench spot. Keep him involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mike65 wrote: »
    I think its vital Pacheco is not loaned out, clearly forces are at work to smuggle him away to Spain and if he feels he is being put on the long finger at Anfield there is much greater chance he'll leave. Give him a cast iron guaranteed berth in the EL squad and the domestic cups plus PL bench spot. Keep him involved.

That would be my worry in loaning him out. I think he will get plenty of game time this season though. He's definitely ready for it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

eagle eye wrote: »
    and whoever will be left back.

I gotta say I was very... very impressed with Martin Kelly there last night. He is going to be very useful over the next couple of years, anywhere along the back 4. Strong, clever, decent cross. Kudos Mr. Kelly

Advertisement