Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 7" iPads coming?

• 04-08-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

iLounge is reporting that Apple is working on a 7" iPad that will be released next year. According to 9to5mac, it will have a Retina Display and a Front Facing camera.

They are also reporting that the 1.7" screen leaked a few weeks ago will be used on the next Shuffle, and there is a possibility that the iPod Touch screen will shrink to 3" to make the device smaller.

News of the 7" iPad is not surprising, but whether it will have the Retina Display is the question. It would only make sense if the Display was put in the iPad but, as other Boardies have pointed out in the past, it would be much too costly. A 7" device would be a great size and would buy one in a heart beat if it was the right price, i.e under €500.

As for the iPod Shuffle, it wouldn't be the most shocking news if the screen was made for the next Shuffle but not sure how practical it would be. Of course Apple know what they are at. I really hope they do not shrink the size of the Touch's screen. It would sound like something they would do to make a smaller device but dont know if it would effect Apps in any way?

Here is a mock up of the 7" iPad:

1.jpg

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/leaked-details-on-2010-2011-ipods-iphone-5-bumper-2-ipad-mini/

http://9to5mac.com/node/20748

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pjhamill

TBH I don't see the point of apple introducing new iPads in september because its not like it would boost sales.I think next January maybe but just ios4 for iPad in fall with new iPod touch's and perhaps iLife 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dman001 wrote: »
    iLounge is reporting that Apple is working on a 7" iPad that will be released next year. According to 9to5mac, it will have a Retina Display and a Front Facing camera.

They are also reporting that the 1.7" screen leaked a few weeks ago will be used on the next Shuffle, and there is a possibility that the iPod Touch screen will shrink to 3" to make the device smaller.

News of the 7" iPad is not surprising, but whether it will have the Retina Display is the question. It would only make sense if the Display was put in the iPad but, as other Boardies have pointed out in the past, it would be much too costly. A 7" device would be a great size and would buy one in a heart beat if it was the right price, i.e under €500.

As for the iPod Shuffle, it wouldn't be the most shocking news if the screen was made for the next Shuffle but not sure how practical it would be. Of course Apple know what they are at. I really hope they do not shrink the size of the Touch's screen. It would sound like something they would do to make a smaller device but dont know if it would effect Apps in any way?

If they decrease the size of the screen and maintain the current resolution it's not really an issue. From their perspective, it would help differentiate the lines although I'm not convinced that they would.

A retina display on the 7inch makes no sense either, 1) it'd cost too much 2) you'd be cutting the legs from underneath the current model unless they're refreshing both at the same time and it strikes me as too soon - interesting that ILounge didn't run that rumour.

The most interesting rumour they ran was of a revised iPhone in January - fifth gen? - to coincide with the CDMA models release but I'd rate the chances of that happening as nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

The 7 inch is the perfect size. I think people would carry them around with them in some sort of a bag, even guys. Too big for a pocket, but about the size of a paper back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

<3 conjecture. These kinds of stories are my Closer/Pick Me Up/Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

banquo wrote: »
    <3 conjecture. These kinds of stories are my Closer/Pick Me Up/Now
    August=Apple Rumor Season :D

• Advertisement

The latest rumors are that the Mini Touchscreen is in fact for the next Nano, which will be used as a Virtual Scrollwheel and the Nano will be physically smaller. It would make a bit more sense than a touchscreen Shuffle but still am skeptical. The fact that this is coming from an analyst (they are 99% of the time wrong) and the fact that the screen has a black bezel. Still though the Nano and the Touch are now the two major Portable Media Devices for Apple and the Nano could do with a major design overhaul.

Other rumors include the Touch gaining two cameras (be very surprised not to see these this year) and gaining the Retina Display. Now the latter surprises and excites me. It wasn't sure if Apple would keep this exclusive to the iPhone but this is coming from Daring Fireball who is always right. Have heard great things about the screen and can't afford an iPhone so great to see it coming to the Touch. Will blow competition out of the water.

Set for 2011 is a A9-based iPad, an iOS Apple TV and a Verizon iPhone. There is also talk of the Apple event being held next week. Cannot see that happening, but if it does we will know by this week. First week in September would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭jamesd

Local vodafone shop advised a friend of mine not to buy the new iPhone 4 as new model out in January, doubt it though myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's rumours that there'll be an new CDMA version of the iPhone in jan 2011 tbh i just don't think it's going to happen.

1. the CDMA iphone is being pushed for verizon network in america, apple and at&t still have another 2 years on the exclusivity contract (ends in 2012).

2. other countries don't really have the infrastructure / the amount of people willing to buy a new iphone to make it worth apple's while just yet anyways.

3. seriously don't take anything someone says in a vodafone store as truth. they know a hell of a lot less than most people in here, and they just hear tid bits off people and pass it off as cold hard facts in the vain attempt to look competent in their job.

also doubt 7" tablets are on the way either tbh. apple seem content on not having many mobile products that differ in any way other than flash capacity.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a 7" iPad at all. The 9" will stay the premium device, while the 7" one will be the cheaper, lower spec one. I can't see it being released this year though as they can't keep up with the demand on the current iPad. I think January will be dedicated to the iPad and next Apple TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Really looking forward to the next Apple TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

banquo wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the next Apple TV.

Do you have AppleTV? Does it work ok for you?
    I had nothing but the problems with mine, had it returned and got my refund. Mind you they did offer to replace the unit but i was not interested as friend of mine had same/similar problems (video freezes while the audio continues, white screen, the color fades, gets too hot...)

New rumors suggest that the Apple TV will be renamed the iTV and will not support 1080p content, only 720p. And Apps for the iTV are confirmed, even though it was already implied by the fact it will run iOS.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/upcoming-apple-tv-loses-1080p-playback-gains-apps/

New rumors suggest that the Apple TV will be renamed the iTV and will not support 1080p content, only 720p. And Apps for the iTV are confirmed, even though it was already implied by the fact it will run iOS.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/upcoming-apple-tv-loses-1080p-playback-gains-apps/

Not a hope that'll be called iTV.

If it runs iOS, Apple will want to keep "i" in the name. They have made deals with Cisco in the past for the trademark "iPhone" and "IOS" so nothing stopping them again making a similar deal.

If it runs iOS, Apple will want to keep "i" in the name. They have made deals with Cisco in the past for the trademark "iPhone" and "IOS" so nothing stopping them again making a similar deal.

In fairness there's a huge difference between Cisco and this. This is ITV's own territory that they're encroaching on, they don't do anything else, it's not some obscure product that they've trademarked and don't mind licensing to make a few bucks This is their business and identity. It's not any way shape or form in ITV's interest to license the name.

You could be right Oafley:
    Apple's purported plan to rebrand its Apple TV product as the 'iTV' now seems set to see the company sued heavily in the courts, as "furious" executives from major UK television broadcaster, ITV, are meeting with lawyers to plan legal action, according to UK newspaper, The Mirror.

The broadcaster, who owns the trademark to the name ITV in Britain, will also weigh up its options on a global ban.

A channel insider told The Mirror: "You only have to look at recent problems with the iPhone 4 to see not everything Apple produces is gold dust. We all take our ITV brand very seriously and we'll do everything in our power to protect it."

The Mirror notes that an Apple spokeswoman "denied the names will be too similar". Does this mean Apple's plan for an iTV is true, in that in saying the names won't be "too similar" the PR is tactily admitting they will be fairly similar?

Interestingly is Apple's response, saying the names won't be too similar, confirming that it will get a name change. Now this is coming from the Mirror so would take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.9to5mac.com/itv_v_itv_fight

looks like it will be out for christmas rumour the ipad mini and apple to have another apple event in october

Advertisement