Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendations for a new GPU please?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

guys i need to upgrade by graphics card. up to now to be honest, my old but reliable X1950 pro card has been able to handle pretty much anything i've thrown at it (probably not that much but still). it's played all games without any issues up to this point but is now starting to struggle and overheat massively, and i'm getting a lot of streaks in the games. it's always had overheating issues but i bought a big massive fan for it and that sorted the problem for a while but now it's struggling.

i've just started reading into it and just realised there is now a pci-E 2 and 2.1, so have no idea if my motherboard (abit ip35 pro) is compatible ( i doubt it though), so i'm basically looking for a new GPU in the EUR100 mark.

any recommendations would be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Seems to be a PCI 1.0 board but the PCIe 2.0 cards are all backwards compatible anyway and it should't really adversly affect the performance of a less powerful card too much.

Would look at maybe the HD5670, should be more than enough for what you need if you were happy enough with the 1900 XTs performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

marco_polo wrote: »
    Seems to be a PCI 1.0 board but the PCIe 2.0 cards are all backwards compatible anyway and it should't really adversly affect the performance of a less powerful card too much.

Would look at maybe the HD5670, should be more than enough for what you need if you were happy enough with the 1900 XTs performance.

thanks, i'll check it out

one more question. i've narrowed it down to these 2. they're basically the same price at 110 and 105 respectively. the big difference is the memory and the make. don't forget i've only got a PC-E 1 motherboard so which would perform beeter on it?

ASUS Radeon HD 5770 - 512 MB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.1 (EAH5770/2DI/512MD5)

and

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 5670 HM - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0 (11168-05-20R)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

id definately go for the 5770 for gaming, less memory means you probably cant max out textures in game but the extra performance across the board over that 5670 is worth it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Also bear in mind the fact that the HD5670 doesn't have enough grunt to really use more than 512MB of memory anyway... :o

Personally I'd look out for cheap HD5750s under €100 - sometimes you get special offers on them. Sometimes those offers are for the 1GB version... ;)

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Also bear in mind the fact that the HD5670 doesn't have enough grunt to really use more than 512MB of memory anyway... :o

Personally I'd look out for cheap HD5750s under €100 - sometimes you get special offers on them. Sometimes those offers are for the 1GB version... ;)

cool thanks i'll keep a lookout

Advertisement