Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA SPACE - LSAD

Options
  • 04-08-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey there!

Anyone signed up for the new MA in Social Practice & The Creative Environment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Just looked at that on LIT website, looks good.....may be doing a Masters myself, not this Sept though probably the following Sept

But how does it work for someone like me with an IT degree goin for an Art masters?? My IT degree does have a Multimedia/Graphic Design slant to it so hopefully that might help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Just looked at that on LIT website, looks good.....may be doing a Masters myself, not this Sept though probably the following Sept

But how does it work for someone like me with an IT degree goin for an Art masters?? My IT degree does have a Multimedia/Graphic Design slant to it so hopefully that might help me.

You'd need a portfolio of art work I'd say and quite a strong creative slant to your IT degree, related work experience would help which you could try and get before your application.

I know of one person without a straight art degree who was considered for a MA in art but she had a qualification in a artchitecture type course and a fetac in art portfolio prep. Even then there was suggestion of further study before applying. I would contact the college directly to ask if you would be considered before embraking on your portfolio.

Taken from the website regarding entry to this MA.

Minimum Entry Requirements
    Candidates entering the course must have:

A minimum 2.2 honours degree in their chosen Art, Design, Humanities, and/or related fields of study e.g. Architecture, New Media, the Performing Arts and Multi-Media

Or

Equivalent qualifications including the pre-NFQ NCEA National Diploma. Applicants with equivalent qualifications on the European and International frameworks will also be considered. International students must evidence a proficiency in English language.

All qualified candidates will be interviewed in order to assess their interest in or previous experience in the area of Social Practice, and their potential contribution to the group dynamic.

Applicants will also need to undergo Garda Vetting, as many students may work with groups containing children and/or vulnerable adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Cheers for that. I do have a bit of an arty past too, so that might help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 limdun

Hi guys,

well I have my place and the interview was very 'art related' - you would really want to know your stuff and be able to demonstrate why you are suitable for the course etc

A portfolio of work is essential for the interview, and again they are thorough in their questions!

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zaynab

Hi Limdun et al

I am also accepted for MA SPACE - only heard last week as my interview got rescheduled. My back ground is Fine Art, strangely enough though I didn't present a portfolio for the interview...just talked alot. You're right you need to know your Art Related stuff.

Do you get any course info sent out yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zaynab

Ah - but just remembered I included, in my application, a link to my website where there are images of my work. So yes, you could say that counts as a
    portfolio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭swatki

Can somebody who has done this course please give me a rough outline of the time table ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ima_goldfish!

When you say art related stuff, what do you mean? Like techniques etc or whats going on in the art world at the moment, like contemporary artists etc?

Advertisement