Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bull bars for mtb - are they dangerous?

• 04-08-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Mate says you are more likely to end up in the trees.

I would love them for up hill climbs out of the saddle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

if your trails dont have trees over hanging it no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

me@ucd wrote: »
    if your trails dont have trees over hanging it no problem.

Some have trees, but they are big pine ones etc with sideward growing branches not small upward growing trees. Are they still a problem?

Are they seldom used by off road mtb people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

i think the main risk is that if they don't have plugs that they will slice into you if you fall on it. A small pair of stubbies, with a plug, will give you the climbing advantage without being overly likely to catch something moreso than a pair of bars on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

dont forget disc wheels for when you fall and your hand goes in the spokes! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 robmdagg

They are great if you run into any kangaroos at high speed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

When I started on trails the bike I had had bars on it. The only time they caused me trouble was when I crested and never moved my hands back onto the bar, I found myself speeding down towards a tree with my brake leavers a very inconvenient number of inches from my fingers... its amazing how quick one can move hand position when needed:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

kenmc wrote: »
    i think the main risk is that if they don't have plugs that they will slice into you if you fall on it.
    Same as handlebars really.
    worded wrote: »
    They're out of fashion at the moment. Wide riser-bars are "in". You still see plenty of them in XC races. You might as well give them a shot - they can be picked up cheap enough. They'll only catch on trees if you're riding too close to the trees - and they don't make your bars any wider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Morgan wrote: »
    Same as handlebars really.
    True, but I think the handlebars are less likely to stick up in the air than the bar ends, but in a crash all bets are off i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

me@ucd wrote: »
    dont forget disc wheels for when you fall and your hand goes in the spokes! :eek:

That's a little unfair ;) I remember back in the day when the mountain bike magazines were giving bar end plugs out free as mountain bikers were performing involuntary biopsies on themselves :eek:

@OP as others have suggested, bar ends are only €10-15 and well worth a go (they now come with plugs by default).

DFD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

That's a little unfair ;) I remember back in the day when the mountain bike magazines were giving bar end plugs out free as mountain bikers were performing involuntary biopsies on themselves :eek:

@OP as others have suggested, bar ends are only €10-15 and well worth a go (they now come with plugs by default).

DFD.

I used t have similar to these but carbon ones(mini bars) on my old bike, to be honest they are good for climbs but a lot of the time they got in the way, especially when riding technical terrain, i am much happier without them on my latest bike, as for falling on them etc meh i am more worried about rocks, trees and... nettles(yes i am a pussy!):D As for the other comment regarding severing a hand on a disc break, no chance the gloves protect you!

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=157&idproduct=21368

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

tioga%20power%20studs%206.jpg

I much perfer this shape of barend as it stops your hands slipping off when wet and allows you to lean on the ends, again without slipping off. Personal choice I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

They're fine, you shouldn't even notice them unless you're one of these people that put them on pointing straight up, then you're entering scary territory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

worded wrote: »

Just go to any round of the XC NPS races - almost nobody in the senior catagories is using bar ends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

RPL1 wrote: »
    Just go to any round of the XC NPS races - almost nobody in the senior catagories is using bar ends!
    Risers are more popular but I wouldn't say short bar ends are in any way dangerous.

mtbn10e-04.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been thinking of these for commuting.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cane_Creek_Ergo_Control_II_Bar_Ends/5220000162/

I'd imagine in racing you fall a lot more so the risk is far higher, or you'd snag someone else in close proximity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

BostonB wrote: »
    I've been thinking of these for commuting.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cane_Creek_Ergo_Control_II_Bar_Ends/5220000162/

I'd imagine in racing you fall a lot more so the risk is far higher, or you'd snag someone else in close proximity.
    @BostonB- I got a pair of them myself; they get very good reviews. Now I am not looking like I will be doing any more MTB for a year at least and that bike is going into storage. Never fitted to the bike, new in packaging, I would sell them on at a discount to the online price if you are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

PM on way. ;)

Advertisement