Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switch to public from private mid way?

• 04-08-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi there

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to switch from private to public when 19 weeks pregnant?
    I have seen a consultant twice so far and wont see him until 24 weeks. we had a scan both times and some blood work first time which i paid for. We will have to pay 2500 euro before i pop but not sure if it's worth all that. I dont see him that often!
    Is it possible to switch to public at this stage? and if so, how do i go about it?
    Any thoughts on this would be very appreciated.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I reckon you may still be liable for full fee's as the consultant could have taken on another patient if he hadn't of taken on you... now he can't seeing that it is half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

Hey.. We are going public and the care my wife is getting is great.. If I were you I would just tell your consultant that circumstances have changed and you cant afford it any longer.. Also - Even is you have paid for your consultant your not guarenteed to see him when the time comes anyways..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

The best thing you can do is ring the secretary of your consultant and see what the deal is. Also ring the booking office of your hospital to see if you can switch. I know there would be no problems in switching to public care (which should be as good as any care!) but I don't know how much of your private fees would still be applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 5 curley10

thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments.
    That really does help!

I have a scan next wednesday in OLOL so we have decided to check with the booking office there and see if possible to switch to public and if so, we will call my doctor and see what fees would be applicable if i were to change.

I hope I only have to pay for the two appointments I have had so far! If that is the case then we will definitely be changing to public.

thanks again everyone,
    very much appreciated

I hope i can switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Theknees

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has changed from public to private half way through there pregnancy and if it's possible?
    I would like to change because I think i should have a section rather than a v birth. My husband would like me to have a section. He is a big lad and i am 5ft nothing so we think it might be the best option. I think I will have a better chance of having a section in Semi Private but don't know if I can change now. I know lots of people have there own views on this but I would prefer to have a section rather than a lot of vaginal tearing and stitching and what ever else come with that.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 curley10

hi Theknees

Yes you can switch over half way if you wish. I had switched from private to public no problem so I am sure you can switch to private if you wish to. As for your reason for switching, I can tell you from my own experience of going public that the service was excellent and dont see why the need for going private if wanting a section? They will still look after you very well going public.

As for having a section that is entirely up to you, but be warned that it takes longer to recover from a section than a normal delivery. It takes at least 6 weeks after a section to get back to normal and if you plan on breast feeding you will only be able to feed in certain positions being careful too. But that is entirely up to you. You may be only 5 ft nothing but that doesnt mean you cant have a normal delivery so keep that in mind too.

Best of luck in your decision and happy last 4.5 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Theknees

Hi Curley10,

Thanks a million, that's really helpful. I will weigh up all the options. I agree that public has been excellent so far. My husband and I will have to sit down and talk it through. Meanwhile we'll enjoy the pregnancy.

Thanks again :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I know someone who switched to my consultant having signed up for public care in another hospital. She was so disappointed with the public system, lack of scans and general approach she called my doctor who was happy to take her (and her fee cheque!). Consultants in the private system are far more flexible than the public system and as long as you're not booking in during a very hectic delivery period you should be fine.

Don't believe all the scaremongering about how hard it is to recover from a section. I had a great recovery, within a month I was pretty much back to normal. I know women who delivered vaginally who ended up with horrific tears and episiotomies, so there's pros and cons to both methods. My SIL still isn't right after her last vaginal delivery.

I am glad I went and am going private again for the sake of a private room. I hate sharing and I know my recovery would have been affected if I had to share facilities and noise with other women and their babies. With fewer people going private you're likely to get your private room, which IME is essential after giving birth. It would be my worst nightmare to have to endure a public ward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I dont know which hospital you are going to or are referring to but I can only give my personal experience of going public to the OLOL hospital. I am pregnant with my second child now and attending OLOL public and I have had the best of care for someone who is going public. There hasnt been lack of anything actually. And I have had many scans too, not just one as I hear some women only get in Dublin hospitals because they found I had a cyst when they did my first scan at 13 weeks. I am now 30 weeks along and cyst can no longer be seen so I dont expect to have any more scans. I have had about 5 scans I think. Plenty for public service!

I have nothing to complain. Very happy with the service :)

best of luck again.

Advertisement