Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

winter gear (commuting) ????

• 04-08-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So I want to start picking up a few bits for the winter rather than waiting till it starts and having to buy everything in one go.

I'm only commuting about 20 kms per day.

What do people recommend ??? The saddle on the bike is pretty hard so I need padding. So I was thinking padded bib tights ????? Would these be warm enough on their own ??? Would I need rain bottoms or just get wet and they'll dry off during the day in work ??? Or should i just wear padded under shorts and some thermals with rain bottoms ???

A jacket is simple enough.

Then waterproof panniers I suppose - carrying a bag at the moment but hoping to get a reflective jacket for the dark mornings/evenings and dont want to cover this up. Does anyone have any recommendations ???? Dont carry much stuff at all so very small panniers would be ideal.

Using SPDs at the moment so am i better off wearing the overshoe things or getting a pair of waterproof shoes altogether ???

Very basic questions I know but have only been cycling since spring so haven't really had to consider these issues yet.

Thanks for any help.:)

Comments

Arg, thinking of winter already?!

Bib shorts are always good, I've used the dhb range on wiggle and I find them pretty good for the money. When it gets cold I use leggings I got in aldi/lidl years ago + bib shorts, thick socks, a base-layer, a jersey, maybe a jacket and maybe hi-viz. Lights are of course very important in winter. Overshoes are great too, though for most of last year I just used good heavy socks (sealskinz) instead, even if they take forever to dry out.

I don't use waterproofs going in and out of work in the rain, I just hang the clothes underneath my desk. Depends whether you've a locker/drying room setup going on.

It feels wrong to be talking about this in August!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Dónal wrote: »
    Arg, thinking of winter already?!

It feels wrong to be talking about this in August!

I know !! Sorry for the downer.

Thank for the reply Donal. I've been looking on wiggle, CRC etc and all the stuff I need adds up to a costly sum - so basically i want to pick it up bit by bit over the next few weeks.

The bib idea doesn't appeal to me too much for commuting (use the bib shorts on the road bike alright). Would padded undershorts and a pair of leggings be sufficient ???

I have some crappy cateye lights alright and have been thinking i'll need an upgrade:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

ps - haven't noticed this before (lots of use):

wiggle - dhb bib tights - 55.99 with free delivery UK, when i change my country to ireland the price suddenly changes to 57.66 with... FREE... delivery:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

wiggle - dhb bib tights - 55.99 with free delivery UK, when i change my country to ireland the price suddenly changes to 57.66 with... FREE... delivery:rolleyes:

Higher rate of VAT in Ireland than in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That is the VAT difference between the UK and Ireland. Change it to a country outside the EU and you will see the price go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

While we're on the subject ... leg warmers or tights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

i wear tights when mountain biking when its really cold, have to say they are wicked(as in great), obviously get padded ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

might pick up a pair of cheap ones without padding for under my bibs maybe ... never used leg warmers but i imagine they are quite annoying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I use leg warmers - have a shedload of padded shorts that I use year round, and as it gets colder they are accompanied by kneewarmers and finally legwarmers. Don't see the point in having the shorts sitting idle from September to May each year and forking out €50+ per pair for 3/4 length bibshorts and again for padded tights. I've do have a pair of 3/4 length baggies that go on over everything at about the start of October for extra warmth though.

For other winter gear, you'll probably want a hat for under the helmet (maybe a balaclava), good warm socks, overshoes, a warm coat and a few layers under it. I use short sleeve jerseys w/ armwarmers (same justification as the legwarmers :)), then a merino long sleeve jersey under the coat. You can lose various layers to adjust to the different temps.

FInally if you're anything like me you'll need some kickass gloves. I got (relatively) huge gloves last year, and even with them and a liner my hands were killing me by the time I got to work on most mornings. This year, well, I'm just back from an alpine hiking trip so last years huge gloves pale in comparison to what I'll have this year :D Will look like a total idiot but dammit I'll be able to feel my fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am actually really dreading the frozen hands more than anything ... very very bad memories of near death experience due to frozen fingers ... Thanks for reminding me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably a good time to start thinking about winter, you should get winter stuff cheaper now than you would in mid-January.

When it's proper cold, I'll have overshoes, leg warmers, bib shorts, base layer top, a small hat under the helmet to cover my ears, gloves + liners.

I also have this jersey on, which will keep you warm no matter how cold it is - as long as it's not raining.

Good gloves with liners and leg warmers were the most essential things last year. On a commute, you can pretty much handle everything else by getting your body temp up, but frozen hands and aching knees are not fun. For proper rides, everything including overshoes are essential - you're better off being too hot than too cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It depends on the length of your commute. I have a relatively sort run so I go bare-legged through the winter. Good gloves and a decent fleece/jacket are essential though.

I am reading this thread with interest as this will be my first winter of non-commuter cycling. My internal cash register is ker-chinging at an alarming rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its the extremities really. Overshoes, good gloves, lined leggings and one of these things. Use it to cover the mouth, ears, neck on a really cold morning.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Buff_09/5360032136/#more

Everything else heats up as you cycle. Though windproof jacket, top is essential. Though I find the jacket too warm most of the time. tend to cycle with it open, vents open.

Advertisement