Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Varadero: Neutral Issue..help

• 04-08-2010 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just bought a Varadero 125 today. My car was nicked last week, so this was a bit of an impulse buy until I find my ideal car again.

It's a 2002 in pretty good condition and I got the seller from 1200 to 1k and brought it home in the van. The problem is getting it into the neutral gear....It's very annoying and my friend (a bike rider) says it's not just me being inexperienced. It doesn't go into neutral as it should....it takes a few tries going up a gear and trying to bring it into neutral. I will bring it to a shop/mechanic, but was wondering if any of you know what it is likely to be. The rest of the gears are no problem...just getting it to neutral is a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If he got on the bike and said that, then I would take it as you not doing it right. I still miss it from time to time two years in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

goz83 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I just bought a Varadero 125 today. My car was nicked last week, so this was a bit of an impulse buy until I find my ideal car again.

It's a 2002 in pretty good condition and I got the seller from 1200 to 1k and brought it home in the van. The problem is getting it into the neutral gear....It's very annoying and my friend (a bike rider) says it's not just me being inexperienced. It doesn't go into neutral as it should....it takes a few tries going up a gear and trying to bring it into neutral. I will bring it to a shop/mechanic, but was wondering if any of you know what it is likely to be. The rest of the gears are no problem...just getting it to neutral is a problem.

Change the oil ... put in a good semi synthetic. Oil the clutch cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

goz83 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I take it that this occurs with the engine running - but finding neutral is easy when the engine is stopped? If so, the problem (likely) is that your clutch isn't disengaging as fully as it should when you pull in the lever. Because the gearbox is still under partial load from the engine (but not enough to drive the bike forward) the cogs aren't free to slide into neutral - you push harder - the cogs jump through neutral into the next gear.

It could be just a matter of adjusting your clutch lever (using the adjuster at the lever) to give less freeplay, i.e. you can feel resistance on the clutch lever earlier when you start pulling. It may be that the clutch itself is a bit gummed up from not being used - an oil change would help. Or it could be that the clutch is a bit worn or that there's gearbox damage.

Usually the problems are the simpler ones rather than more serious ones :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

change the oil and filter anyway, and double check the clutch cable to make sure it's adjusted properly.

Advertisement